Why register as disabled?

124»

Comments

• Mojisola wrote: »
    My parents both get Attendance Allowance and both claim Carer's Allowance for each other although the money comes as Carer's Premium. They are in their 80s.

When I looked into this I found that the Carer's Premium comes as additional Income Support which cannot be claimed if you have savings over a specified amount.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Carers Premium is indeed an extra you get if entitled to IS -- though I was led to believe you have to be in receipt of Carers Allowance to get this (haven't had to delve too deep on that one as I will be in receipt of CA by the time we put in a claim for IS -- but I have been misled by staff at the Benefits Agencies on some other aspects so wouldn't hold my breath on that being true)

IS is blocked if you (jointly) have over £16k in savings. Between £6k and £16k you get a reduced amount of IS, with them with-holding £1/week of benefit for every £250 or part thereof you have as savings. Below £6k in savings you're entitled to the full rate of IS.
    Cheryl
  • Bart
    Bart Posts: 40 Forumite
    Essex_Guy wrote: »
    There seems to be no such thing as 'registered disabled' though the term is still commonly used for some reason.

I have been disabled for six years, I filled in a housing application last month and it asked if I was regisered disabled, I rang my OT and they registered me. Sent me a pritty yellow card with a number on.
  • cheruk
    cheruk Posts: 10 Forumite
    I live in Eastleigh, Hampshire and I am registered disabled. I have a yellow card issued by Hampshire county council with a registration number.

Chrissy
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    trejoy wrote: »
    In reply to Horace, I am registered partially-sighted and can no longer drive. You get free tax on a car that is used primarily for your benefit, so my hubbie is now my chauffer. He cannot use the car to travel back and fore work, (he takes train). By registering as partially-sighted I was able to claim a free bus pass, I have a CEA card for the cinema, (carer goes free). You are also able to get free loft and cavity wall insulation. I also get free eye tests.
    About blue badges, your doctor has to approve it. I have one as he said that it was dangerous for me to walk across car parks. I do also have mobility probs.
    Hope helps:rotfl:

you dont get free car tax for being registed partially sighted, thats only awarded to people who get HRMC of DLA which definatly isnt awarded for being partially sighted.

My cards pink and Ive been registed disabled for just over 20 years, my council still have the register open today and sent me a new card when i lost mine a little while ago.
  • bertiebat
    bertiebat Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This thread is 2 years old! It may be that things have changed since the original posts.
    Just in case you were wondering (some have)..... I'm a woman!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure