Old Vodafone debt - Lowell

Hi all, I have been hounded recently by Lowell for an old Vodafone debt. The account was disputed at the time from what I can remember due to poor signal quality.

Now, although I thought I had reached an agreement to end the account at the time with Vodafone, the account eventually got passed to Lowell.

After not hearing anything for a few years, Lowell have resurfaced so I sent a prove it letter. In the response it seems I made some repayments, last being in 2015 by standing order. However they acknowledge they have no supporting documents to back up the debt due to being an old account.

I am just wondering where to go with this now and any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• "Dear Mr _______

Thank you for your recent letter.

You write that you have no knowledge of this debt and ask for evidence.

Due to the age of the account we are no longer able to provide copy statements from Vodafone in evidence of the debt.

However you have previously acknowledged the debt during a phone call and by agreeing to make payments. You also have made Standing Order payments in total of £170.50, last for £29.10 on 03.02.2015.

To confirm, the account was opened on 06.01.2010 for mobile number
    . The last payment before the sale to us was £83.45 on 17.06.2013. The account was disconnected on 05.07.2013 and defaulted on 02.12.2013.

We trust this clarifies the matter and look forward to hearing from you within the next 30 days to discuss further repayments."

This was the reply from Lowell, I suppose what I'm asking is, is it unenforceable due to them acknowledging they cant prove the debt? Or do I still owe because I've made repayments under 6 years ago.

Thanks again.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,844 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Any payment or acknowledgment only means the account won’t be statute barred yet, if they cannot provide evidence of the debt, then it’s dead in the water, and you can do as you see fit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sourcrates, this is what I assumed, how can they pursue legal action on something they cannot prove, just chancing basically hoping I'll pay quietly.

How would you proceed at this stage?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family