Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IvanDP
    • By IvanDP 21st Oct 19, 8:37 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 66Thanks
    IvanDP
    Activating new debit card
    • 21st Oct 19, 8:37 PM
    Activating new debit card 21st Oct 19 at 8:37 PM
    Apologies if this is a dumb question.

I have recently opened a Nationwide FlexDirect account, for no other reason than to collect the interest.
    I have received my card and PIN, and as usual the letter that came with the card talks about activation.
    As I have no intention of making any purchases or ATM withdrawals from this account, will it matter if I don't actually activate the card?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by IvanDP; 21-10-2019 at 8:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 21st Oct 19, 8:43 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 21st Oct 19, 8:43 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 8:43 PM
    The same question was sked on another thread very recently.
    No it won't matter but on general principals I would activate it now to avoid any potential problems that may arise should you decide that you do want to use the card in the future.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 21st Oct 19, 9:39 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    colsten
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:39 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:39 PM
    You need the card to move money out of your account, either temporarily or permanently. New payees always need to be confirmed with the card (and card reader), and you even need the card randomly when making payments to existing payees. That is, unless you used the card for logging into your online banking.

This may or may not changed when Nationwide implement 2FA over the coming months.
    • IvanDP
    • By IvanDP 21st Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    IvanDP
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    You need the card to move money out of your account, either temporarily or permanently. New payees always need to be confirmed with the card (and card reader), and you even need the card randomly when making payments to existing payees. That is, unless you used the card for logging into your online banking.

This may or may not changed when Nationwide implement 2FA over the coming months.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Fortunately, Nationwide will accept any (Nationwide) card in the card reader for internal transfers between your own accounts, which is all I will be doing.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 21st Oct 19, 11:26 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    colsten
    • 21st Oct 19, 11:26 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 11:26 PM
    Fortunately, Nationwide will accept any (Nationwide) card in the card reader for internal transfers between your own accounts, which is all I will be doing.
    Originally posted by IvanDP
    You didn't mention you had other Nationwide accounts, so I couldn't know. You are correct, any valid Nationwide debit card can be used to set up new payees, and to confirm payments if required.

Just for clarity: you only get interest on the FlexDirect if your monthly min deposit comes from a non-Nationwide account. This can be an account in your, or someone else's, name at another bank. Internal transfers don't count, and you don't need a card for internal transfers.
    • IvanDP
    • By IvanDP 22nd Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    IvanDP
    • 22nd Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    You didn't mention you had other Nationwide accounts, so I couldn't know. You are correct, any valid Nationwide debit card can be used to set up new payees, and to confirm payments if required.
    My apologies for not making it clear that I was an existing nationwide customer.

Just for clarity: you only get interest on the FlexDirect if your monthly min deposit comes from a non-Nationwide account. This can be an account in your, or someone else's, name at another bank. Internal transfers don't count, and you don't need a card for internal transfers.
    And thank you for the clarification regarding pay in requirements and internal transfers.
    Luckily I was aware of this and the transfers are set up externally.

All that is left to do now is sit back for a year and then collect the interest
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 23rd Oct 19, 1:09 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 23rd Oct 19, 1:09 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 1:09 AM
    It is your first FlexDirect account?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Oct 19, 8:18 AM
    • 35,276 Posts
    • 22,260 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:18 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:18 AM
    Just get the card activated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,580Posts Today

8,268Users online

Martin's Twitter