Monzo Bank getting a kicking on 'Watchdog'

Options

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    So are you saying one should never accept a payment into your account from anyone, even close family, in case that account has "markers"??

No of course not. I was making the point that many of these cases will be beyond the account holders control or sphere of influence so they will never know why their account has been closed/suspended/blocked etc, but at the same time banks don't do this for sh1ts and giggles.
  • Jolbc1993
    Options
    Amazing people are still making excuses for Monzo. No doubt those are investors who have finacial reasons to big up monzo when its clearly not 'just following procedures' bbc aren't going to put their name to it on a whim
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Really?
    Do YOU not understand sarcasm?
    No. Do you understand anthropomorphism?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jolbc1993 wrote: »
    Amazing people are still making excuses for Monzo. No doubt those are investors who have finacial reasons to big up monzo when its clearly not 'just following procedures' bbc aren't going to put their name to it on a whim
    what an utterly ridiculous suggestion - one for which you have absolutely no proof, and could never provide any proof for because it's just your imagination gone wild. You have just run out of rational arguments now.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Of course the BBC will- they are a disgrace, just ask Cliff Richard or the 100's of Jimmy Saville's victims. Watchdog is a lowbrow tabloid entertainment show, if you want to see how good it could and should be then listen to You and Yours on BBC R4 every weekday @ 12:15-13:00 to hear how a proper consumer program is made- all with out some gimp riding around on a motorcycle with a benefits cheat.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is true! But there has to be some account behaviour that has triggered these checks in the first place
    A payment from my Barclaycard account was rejected recently. The situation was rectified with a phone call, but there has never been any discernible reason for rejecting the payment.
    I am left to assume either that their fraud detection is not particularly reliable, or that some unknown and unknowable transaction had occurred on my account.
    As Barclays are unlikely to provide any background information, I am inclined to suspect their fraud detection.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Of course the BBC will- they are a disgrace, just ask Cliff Richard or the 100's of Jimmy Saville's victims.

Not sure Jimmy Savile means that literally anything the BBC says or does is suspect but go off king.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2019 at 3:37PM
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Bullspit, do you understand the gravity of your accusation?

It has happened, that is a fact. I believe there is provision in the regulations for there to be to be no comeback from the NCA or police on the AML staff who do submit false intelligence, because the authorities don't want to put them off from submitting SARs. However, that doesn't stop customers taking other legal action against their company if they find out what they did.

What is grave, is the consequence these submissions laced with fabrication can have on customers. Much like any false allegation can have on someone.

Sorry this is going off on a slight tangent as this offshoot isn't anything to do with Monzo. I have fallen foul of their auto blocker but in my experience it was resolved quickly and satisfactorily once I provided the information they needed. I found them to be quite fair, but if you do rely solely on one account then this kind of thing is less an annoyance and more a major problem so I can appreciate why there is such a backlash.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Obviously, that's the only possible explanation.

And, equally, you're clearly an investor in one of their competitors. Starling maybe.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not so sure it is disproportionately high. A lot of fintech and e-money based firms will suspend accounts at the drop of a hat - but most aren't anywhere as well known or popular as Monzo.

If something strange was going on with those accounts, they have to report it and cannot legally give the money back until authorised. The only thing these people would be happy with is getting access to their money immediately. But that is not legally allowed so what are the banks supposed to do to make it better?

I've spoken to police financial investigators and they've come across a lot of people who doth protest their innocence who turn out to be muling/laundering. They can even pick up on amounts as small as a couple of hundred quid.

And? Its high compared to high street banks which was the comparison
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport