Used up my water supply pipe leak allowance, what can I do if it leaks again?

My water supply pipe has caused lots of problems. I've has 2 leaks and been given an allowance by South West water. Reading through their blurb, if it leaks again, I have to pay. I've had the pipe replaced but there's still the chance it could leak in the future. The bill could be astronomical.

What are my options? I'd like something that cuts off supply from the meter if it detects a leak but maybe that's not possible? There are devices to do that in the house but my problems have been with the supply pipe. I could get insurance but do they pay the water bill if there's a big leak and it costs a lot? Unmetered costs a lot in the South West and I doubt they will let me go back to that.

Has anyone else had two leak allowance claims and is in the same predicament? I think the water companies should let people claim again, if they've had the supply pipe replaced.

Comments

• sharpshot wrote: »
    My water supply pipe has caused lots of problems. I've has 2 leaks and been given an allowance by South West water. Reading through their blurb, if it leaks again, I have to pay. I've had the pipe replaced but there's still the chance it could leak in the future. The bill could be astronomical.

What are my options? I'd like something that cuts off supply from the meter if it detects a leak but maybe that's not possible? There are devices to do that in the house but my problems have been with the supply pipe. I could get insurance but do they pay the water bill if there's a big leak and it costs a lot? Unmetered costs a lot in the South West and I doubt they will let me go back to that.

Has anyone else had two leak allowance claims and is in the same predicament? I think the water companies should let people claim again, if they've had the supply pipe replaced.

I think if you get the pipe replaced, and it leaks in the near term (not deliberately damaged by you or others), then you should definitely be able to claim ... against the installer.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Some companies have changed their policy and allow no leak allowance - in any case it was only a goodwill gesture.

The bottom line is that it is the house owner's responsibility if there is a leak anywhere on your side of the boundary. Although, as said above, you should be able to claim if the installer is at fault.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Claim on home insurance?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd keep a closer eye on the meter (regular readings) so I would be forewarned and any leak would not remain undetected for many weeks/months.
  • I'm surprised there aren't more people in my situation, especially if the water companies are stopping their leak allowances. I will keep an eye on the meter but that doesn't help if I'm away for a few weeks. I could turn the water off at the meter when I'm away. The leak I had was a small one and the water pressure wasn't noticeably lower but it would of cost a few thousand, if it wasn't for the leak allowance. I dread to think how much a big leak would cost. The house insurance said they would only pay if the supply pipe was accidentally damaged, not because of ware and tear. I'll probably look for an insurance that fully covers the supply pipe and any money lost from leaks. I have a new pipe up to the house but there's still the connections at each end and the pipe under the house that could cause problems in the future. I'm paranoid about it now :)
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    if its new mdpe pipe and all laid in one piece from the meter box to your internal stoptap leaks are unlikely, if it does leak will be at the joints if anywhere, if it leaks at the meter box connection its the water co responsible so you would be refunded for a leak, that lust leaves the connection where you internal stop tap is , very rare it leaks there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure