Windows and Lintels - Ventrolla

Comments

• Hello all

I think I may have jinxed us in the last update by saying that this could all be over by early March!

The window company were supposed to be at our house last week to finish the windows, but unfortunately 2 out of the 3 are STILL not ready so they only came with 1 window and fitted that. The 2 that weren't ready should have been a "2 week rush job" (the window companys words) when they tried to fit them in November and were the incorrect size. Because of this we still have the chip board wall protecting us from the elements (and has been over winter and all the storms / winds we have had recently) and until it is done we cannot get this box bay re-plastered, left to dry and then decorated.

Also they dropped off the decorative architrave and window boards that they have asked the builder to quote to fit, which has been promised to us since November again. What can I say - the profile of the architrave that they delivered is not that of the rest of the house and not what they have taken numerous samples of - they must have had Stevie Wonder to knock it up for them! This is the second batch of architrave they have made and both batches have been wrong. They are now saying they need to get a special template made which will take 2-3 weeks and then a week for them to make the architrave again! Oh well, third time lucky I guess and another month down the swanny!

The decorator has only been able to 3 out of the 4 walls of the rooms he has done, because we are still waiting for window boards and architrave, so we are shifting about the house and the they are going to have to be revisited again by the decorator once these have been fitted.

This is all by the by as the builder has now pulled off the job, as they window company have not given him his next payment!?!

I cannot believe a professional company that has had this many mess ups is still in business!?!

My husband is due to go away with work for 3-4 months again soon, so this really is the last thing I need at the moment!
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Hello all

Also they dropped off the decorative architrave and window boards that they have asked the builder to quote to fit, which has been promised to us since November again. What can I say - the profile of the architrave that they delivered is not that of the rest of the house and not what they have taken numerous samples of - they must have had Stevie Wonder to knock it up for them! This is the second batch of architrave they have made and both batches have been wrong. They are now saying they need to get a special template made which will take 2-3 weeks and then a week for them to make the architrave again! Oh well, third time lucky I guess and another month down the swanny!
    It should have been a very simple process of using a piece of existing architrave as a sample/template and then having a set of cutters made by a tooling company. Typical turn-around for cutters is a week so they may just be airing on the side of caution by saying 2-3 weeks. To actually machine the new architraves would take a matter of minutes so they are having a laugh to say another week to make them.

This is all by the by as the builder has now pulled off the job, as they window company have not given him his next payment!?!
    I think you must have the patience of a saint Claire and you have my sympathy.

I cannot believe a professional company that has had this many mess ups is still in business!?!
    Its quite surprising as you say .I would bet my house on you not being the only customer who has had this problem unless the original fitters were on their first job for the company.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2016 at 10:02PM
    Duplicate post.......
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    I can't believe this is still going on, you poor thing!

As leveller says, it shouldn't take this long for the architrave to be made. I ordered some custom made skirting last year to match the existing unusual profile in my 1920s house, and from paying and placing the order to the parcel being dispatched to me was all of 4 working days.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    They're a bloody joke, I can go to my local DG company and they will turn round a window order in a week if I get the order to them by Tuesday or 2 if I miss the Tuesday deadline.
  • Hi All
    Here we are, another month down the line, and about a month shy of being ONE WHOLE YEAR from when we had the window company originally quote to get our windows done!!

The window boards are now fitted (one is split so that needs replacing!) and also the architrave - but not entirely happy with the wedge of filler used rather rebating them properly. I understand this is an old house with not entirely straight walls, so will let that slide for now. So that part is now done (ish).

Dare I jinx things again for the remaining 3 windows (box bay) to be put into our house tomorrow and Friday, this is what has been arranged for 2 weeks now, but not going to hold my breath.

The builder and his painter have not come back to the property for nearly 2 months (end of Feb), as the window company (according to the builder) have not paid the interim bill, but according to the window company they are paid up to date!?! The builder has had a few personal issues and hasn't been contactable to talk to the window company to sort this issue out, but spoke to him yesterday and left a message for the window company to call him, again wont hold my breath, they never return any calls to me.

xx
  • I did it again and jinxed the box bay!!!

Unfortunately it was not done last Thursday and Friday and still chasing now to see if being done tomorrow, as promised because of it not being done last week. I have had various conversations with the window company today, basically asking if they are definitely coming tomorrow and various answers I have had is "hopefully", "we are having a problem with our supplier at the moment", "they have a new computer system" and "the supplier has moved the order down to another branch closer to us". I did ask if the windows have actually been made and the answer I got was "I think so"!!

Also when I spoke to the window company today the manager who I deal with was under the impression that the house was completely done apart from the living room (the room with the box bay), I don't know how she has come to this conclusion when I have been telling her for many weeks that the builder pulled off the job and has not been to our property for 2 months now. We are still outstanding work to be done in the living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, breakfast room, hallways on 3 floors, spare bedroom with en-suite - the cracks have been filled in all these rooms but they all need to be sanded down still and then painted. For the 2 months they have been like this if you accidently rub against the parts that have been filled you are instantly covered in white.

Also there is now finishing/retouching the window walls where the fitters have scuffed and scraped after fitting the windows boards and architrave in the master bedroom, playroom, utility room and cloakroom.

Our neighbours (who used to live in our house many years ago) cannot believe that they had their house next door to us built quicker than the time it is taking this company to put things back to how they were!?!?!?

xx
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Yet still you will not name the company despite a request to do so. Hence this company can get away with this shambles time and time again. You will not have been the first, and you will not be the last.

Dunraven have been getting a drumming today, but my intuition is your disaster is the responsibility of one of their competitors.
  • The situation with the window company, as you can hopefully tell from my many previous comments, is quite fragile, so dont want to upset the apple cart yet.
    As they say, patience is a virtue - we, have had to wait this long to get to where we are now. All I will say though is it's NOT dunraven.
    Xx
  • Clairebare1
    Clairebare1 Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2016 at 1:28PM
    We are almost 2 weeks since my last post and unfortunately the box bay has still not been done!?!

We did have delivery last Friday (6th) of our box bay ready to be fitted this week, but unfortunately the inner seals/spacers were meant to be white, but are black (again, second batch with black) - I noticed this upon delivery and they were going to get new glass with white inners by this week. But then on closer inspection (after the delivery driver had gone) my husband and I noticed the poor quality of the window frames. As such, and after sending the window company photos of what we have, they have been rejected and are going to be collected, so no box bay this week!

This really does seem never ending for something that seems so simple - is the window business rocket science!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure