water softner help in chosing and is this true

Comments

• dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    I can't remeber exactly but sure it was about £7 a bag. I will find out from the recipt and post.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have just been to my local Mole Valley Farmers for salt. Has gone up since last time but is still only £5.64 (inc VAT) for 25kG of granular.
  • Micky2
    Micky2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Have just been to my local Mole Valley Farmers for salt. Has gone up since last time but is still only £5.64 (inc VAT) for 25kG of granular.

Snap I went on Tuesday this week .. they had 60 bags left lol after I bought 6 .. should last for months unless my sister neads some!!:beer:
  • moonrakerz
    Micky2 wrote: »
    Snap I went on Tuesday this week .. they had 60 bags left lol after I bought 6 .. should last for months unless my sister neads some!!:beer:

Don't know if you have tried it, but granular salt is superb on paths etc, when it is icy. Seems to last longer and vanishes without a trace !
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Don't know if you have tried it, but granular salt is superb on paths etc, when it is icy. Seems to last longer and vanishes without a trace !

Also fine (as are the tablets) for the softener in the dishwasher if yours, like mine, is plumbed in to a hard supply.
  • I have a waterside mc250 which leaked despite replacing a valve 2 yrs ago so left it unused. Is it worth trying to resuscitate it ! or should I just look for a new and better product? I am not v technically minded hence the v late find of this forum!
  • gmoorc
    gmoorc Posts: 9 Forumite
    Read through this thread and I'd pretty much settled on a 10l metered softener even though we have 5 people in the house as I have a height restriction of 560mm where I want to install . Either the coral 10L or Monarch mini aqua.

I've just come across a softener called the Laser which is a 15L with a height of only 507mm.

It mentions Autotrol in the description. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this model?

kennetwater.co.uk/Laser%20water%20softener%20Brochure.pdf

kennetwater.co.uk/Laser%20manual%200810.pdf
  • moonrakerz
    The "blurb" on the item that you link to says:

"Traditionally water softeners have been
    unattractive boxes hidden in cupboards.
    Now there is an alternative, the new Laser
    water softener has been specifically designed
    to look good in any kitchen or utility room.
    Sleek and compact
    Laser looks great
    Packs a high performance softener into a
    product that will look great in any kitchen"

So what ??? It is there to do a job - in a cupboard - why on earth do you want an item that is "sleek & compact, look good, looks great" - are you going to have it on the breakfast bar ?

If those are their main selling points - don't bother reading the rest..........
  • gmoorc
    gmoorc Posts: 9 Forumite
    I guess the marketing guys may have won out over the engineers when designing the literature :)

The main reason for considering it (It is quite a bit more expensive at around £570 with a fitting kit) was so I could move up to a 15L model.

From what I have read using a 10L in my position may mean using more salt through less optimal regenerations.
    So for example if it works out that it needs to regenerate every 2.8 days it will actually do it every 2 days.

I guess I could tweak the hardness setting to extend the regeneration time in this scenario and maybe put up with a reduction in softening capacity for a few hours?

Would that be the only downside in using an under rated softener?

Gary
  • Matt_Filterman
    Matt_Filterman Posts: 79 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2011 at 9:37AM
    If the softener has got an Autotrol control valve and it is marketed through Kennet then it will be a safe bet.. good valve, good company.
    Matt
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure