How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

Comments

• GTG
    GTG Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    spud17 wrote: »
    No there isn't, it worked perfectly for me on XP, but Win7 had problems.
    See previous posts and try NetWorx.

Thanks, just downloaded and installed Bitmeter. It has a good rating on cnet reviews. Problem is it's not recording any internet traffic despite having restarted windows and having the option to start the program on start up enabled?
  • There are some services online in the UK that offer paid tests, which are reliable but sometime expansive.

Services like speed test, bandwidth.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I had problems with NetMeter losing my usage every few days. Downloaded Networx a few months ago and no problems with it at all.

However I find I am checking my bandwidth usage on my ISP's website so worth checking if your ISP has similar.
  • boho_2
    boho_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    you can try ActyMac DutyWatch -nice prog for monitoring internet
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    I've downloaded NetMeter but how do you stop that annoying little box from keep popping up with the data on to the right of the screen?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kimberley wrote: »
    I've downloaded NetMeter but how do you stop that annoying little box from keep popping up with the data on to the right of the screen?

Right click tray icon, Hide Meter.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    espresso wrote: »
    Right click tray icon, Hide Meter.

Thank you. So simple when you know how :o
  • Ive got netmeter but I can't get it downloaded & working successfully -can anyone be of any help with that?
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I gave up on NetMeter as it kept losing the data every few days. Downloaded Networx and found it to be much better.
  • pmcmahon_2
    pmcmahon_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    NetBalancer: http://seriousbit.com/netbalancer/ (free version)

does something different, allowing you to increase and reduce the priority of up to 5 applications (on the free version). So I set up spotify to have a maximum of 0.01kb outgoing, thus saving on the p2p element of that program! You could do the same with bittorrent though it is a bit selfish I suppose!

It's useful as well to see if any programs are using lots of bandwidth which don't need to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure