Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• swebb
    swebb Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    I have been watching this thread and similar ones with interest.....

I have also been with ntl for a good few years and am currently on their 2mb broadband package. Surely I'm right in saying though, that if people elected to upgrade from their old 750k package to their 2mb package (presumably the same with other upgrades?), ntl in effect made people sign up a a further 12 month minimum contract period?

I was in almost exactly the same position and it worked for me. Just quote the Tiscali price and they will give you a deal. There was no debate or anything when I phoned - she just gave me a cheaper price for the 2mb. I said how about the 3 mb and got that for 17.50. I started the conversation by saying I was thinking of leaving NTL as I'd seen a better offer...
  • swebb
    swebb Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    I only have broadband from NTL (£24.99 a month package), but have been with them for about 7/8 years now, do you reckon they'd give me a reduction if I phoned up?

Most definately... See my last post to see how I started the conversation.
  • fayraz
    fayraz Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only have broadband from NTL (£24.99 a month package), but have been with them for about 7/8 years now, do you reckon they'd give me a reduction if I phoned up?

I just rang NTL, told them I am on 1mb BB for £17.99 and Tiscali are doing 2mb BB for the same price, they said they could do 2mb for £19.99 for 6 months.

But I said you also have an offer of £9.99 per month for 1mb BB for 12 months and they said yes, so I elected for that instead.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    brilliant!!!!! think i might give it a whirl. wot department did you telephone??
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    Options
    fayraz wrote:
    But I said you also have an offer of £9.99 per month for 1mb BB for 12 months and they said yes, so I elected for that instead.

I am currently on unlimited BB. I do not download music or films, but I do spend a lot of time on the internet (especially on MSE!!!)

How do I work out if 1mb is enough?

Thanks
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • fayraz
    Options
    brilliant!!!!! think i might give it a whirl. wot department did you telephone??

I just rang their normal number which is 08000 522 000 and selected the option for 'package changes', went through to a nice lady who told me the offers they had on at the moment and I just picked one.
  • fayraz
    Options
    I am currently on unlimited BB. I do not download music or films, but I do spend a lot of time on the internet (especially on MSE!!!)

How do I work out if 1mb is enough?

Thanks

If you do not download and just surf on the net, the 1MB BB will be fine because they have a 3GB cap on it (not enforced at the moment).

I do download and stream video or music a lot and it's fine for me, NTL have not contacted me or charged me extra.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Hurrah. I'm now £9.99 too. That's £10 in my pocket :beer: and with my new cheap calls I'll be in the money :beer:
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just called customer retentions, to enquire about canceling my phone and 2MB broadband. When asked why, told them that Plusnet were offering 2MB for £14.99.

After a few minutes they came back and offered 2MB BB for £19.99 for 12 months. After declining their offer saying that the Plusnet's service appeared better than theirs, they came back and offered free line rental for 12 months. So now paying £24.99 instead of £35.49 per month for the next year.

I did get the feeling though that there were limitiations on what they could offer, and they didn't want to give me BB that cheap, so fiddled it by offering the free line rental instead.
  • bingobango_3
    Options
    Do you need to be using NTLs phone offers to get upgraded from 512 to 1mb for £9.99 instead of £17.99?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback