Great Isn’t it Obvious MoneySaving Hunt: Tell us the secrets you didn't know you had

Options

Comments

• Sharp_Eyes
    Sharp_Eyes Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a flat where all of the bills are included in my rent so that's a massive money saver for me right there. It even includes wireless internet access! :j

Most of my money saving comes from the shops. I tend to:

1. Check 2 sites before I go shopping - http://www.madaboutbargains.co.uk/offers/Off_Your_Trolley.htm and http://supermarketspecialoffers.com/DiscountOffers.aspx
    2. Stock up on BOGOF offers of the things I use most and that have a longish shelf life i.e. various brands of cereal, loo roll, tinned stuff etc.
    3. Look for the 'reduced price' sticker on fruit and veg and salads. Because they don't tend to last that long, if you time it just right and you see the guys walking around with the pricing gun there are massive savings to be had.
    4. Plan my meals around my BOGOF and reduced price items.
    5. I use a PAYG phone because I rarely make calls. I mostly use it as a point of contact. I only top up on Boots triple point weekends :money:
    6. I've recently found that some special offers in supermarkets can also be found at the same price at Boots. If so, I buy at Boots first - 4 points per pound, then Sainsbury's - 2 points per pound, then Tesco - 1 point per pound rewards. Not close enough to an Asda or a Lidl to get there regularly enough but Lidl and Morrisons is always good for great fruit and veg as well. You get heaps more than the standard supermarket fare too!
    7. Saving old batteries for clocks is an old one of mine. I now use rechargeables because it ends up being cheaper in the long run and better for the environment.
    8. As well as using carrier bags for trash. I use a bag for life as well...carrier bags only when new bin bags are needed.
    9. Unplugging electrical items after use is a good one because of the 'phantom' electricity it draws but might be a bit time consuming considering the fact that we have an enormous number of them now that we take for granted!
    10. Finally, I buy my first bottle of water. Thereafter I boil tap water in the kettle and once it has cooled, refill the original bottle time and time again. Clean, fresh water without the cost of bottled!

There are probably more but I do take such stuff for granted now that I'll have to think a bit harder. :D
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Options
    HannaB wrote: »
    Get to work early and make any 0845 or 0870 calls I need to make...;)

(Needless to say, I won't tell you where I work, so you can't report me)

*LOL* I used to do this too! Especially with those over-ride numbers that you can use to call overseas for like 5p a minute. I used to keep in touch with the family and friends overseas for the price of about a local call...sometimes less! Money saving...yes! Although slightly unscrupulous! :D I wasn't desperate enough to pilfer office supplies though so I rationalise that as my salvation. *LOL*
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Options
    dewdrops wrote: »

:j an old one - if you're cold: jump up and down to keep warm, add an extra layer (jumper!) before turning on or up heating. Sitting at the computer for a time slows down the circulation.

Or go outside for about 5 minutes and the house will seem so much warmer once you come back in!
  • podiluska
    podiluska Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    I have a condensing dryer, one that saves the condensed liquid (water) in a pull out bottle. I use the water from it to water all the houseplants.

But condensing dryers use more energy than normal dryers.
  • shamhat
    shamhat Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    gee........................I have soooo much to learn!!!!!!!!
  • wombat27
    wombat27 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Use smaller glasses, bowls and plates. I bought some large wine goblets in a sale a while back, and realised after a few uses that I was getting through a bottle of wine much quicker than usual. Same thing with some large chunky cereal bowls I bought for the kids - they were getting through packets of cereal in just days because the bowls had a much larger capacity than they were used to.
  • yenners
    yenners Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    We dilute our washing up liquid. It's just as effective and we use less.

My mum buys large bottles of bath gel and decants into handwash containers.
    Not buying clothes for a year - it's liberating!
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Options
    Also, just wanted to add that you should not be afraid (or proud) to try the 'basics' or 'value' lines of products. Some of them as as good as or better than the branded products. Try 1 can or 1 small product every time you shop to see if you like it. Don't buy 10 just because they're cheap and then never use 'em. That's NOT money saving! If you don't like it, then you're not out that much money. However, if you do end up liking it, then you are in for hundreds of pounds worth of savings as you can now replace your regular brand!

Case in point...I used to use Daz. One day years ago, to make up my shop to just over the pounds to qualify for points on that spend I picked up a small Sainsburys Low Price detergent. They've now changed the name to Basics. I was surprised to find that it got my clothes just as clean as Daz did. I still use the Basics line for my washing as it doesn't have the very heavy perfumes a lot of the other washing liquids do which give me headaches. My clothes are still clean and fresh looking. :cool:
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sharp_Eyes wrote: »
    6. I've recently found that some special offers in supermarkets can also be found at the same price at Boots. If so, I buy at Boots first - 4 points per pound, then Sainsbury's - 2 points per pound, then Tesco - 1 point per pound rewards.
    Warning with Sainsbury's - Yes you get 2 points per pound you spend, but what are those points worth? 500 points gets you £2.50 of your shopping. So spending £1 at Sainsbury's only gets 1p off your shopping.
    With Boots, you are right, spending £1 gets you 4p off your shopping.
    With Tescos it depends. Spending £1 gets you 1p off your shopping, but they are worth 4p if you use them on Clubcard Deals. Depends if you want what's in the deals, and how much you could get them for elsewhere. I say Tesco's points are worth about 2p for every £1 you spend because most things in the Deals book you can get for half price anyway if you shop around (e.g. 2 for 1 theme park entry).
  • bigbloke45
    bigbloke45 Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've worked out the petrol cost per mile in my car. I also know the mileage to shops I can't walk to, so I know how much it costs to get to each shop.

Why? because, even if something is a little more expensive in one shop, it may work out cheaper because the cost of getting there plus the cost of the product works out less than driving further to get a cheaper product!

Yes, it does drive my OH potty!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport