Water leak - who pays?

Options
2»

Comments

• ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The landlord's plumber isn't free till next week so I've been told to wait until the water board come out as they don't see how there can be a leak in the flat, yadda yadda.
  • ellymoo
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    When i moved house i noticed my water usage was a bit high over the first few days and when i checked the meter was still moving with everything turned off.
    I traced it to a dodgy seal on the toilet flush and water was constantly flowing when it didn't seal fully. Even though it didn't appear much this did add up when leaking constantly 24/7 so this may be something you want to check.

Thank you so much for this post. I have looked at my loo and there is something wrong with it; I don't know the technical term but there is a blue bit from which water is running all the time.

I have told the landlord that they need to get a plumber out (please) and will now contact the water company to see if they can help me with the finance!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Best way to check loo for leaks is put some dry toilet paper at the back of the pan, if it starts to get wet the toilet is leaking
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    Best way to check loo for leaks is put some dry toilet paper at the back of the pan, if it starts to get wet the toilet is leaking

This will only work if the cistern is leaking.

A lot of modern cisterns overflow into the pan if the inlet valve is not sealing properly, so there will be no 'external' water.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    This will only work if the cistern is leaking.

A lot of modern cisterns overflow into the pan if the inlet valve is not sealing properly, so there will be no 'external' water.

Of course, if it does not get wet then no leak !

But yes i didn't make myself clear , if it has a overflow you will see it leaking, unless its been plumbed into the drain pipe and you cant see it, the paper test is for ones that overflow into the pan
  • ellymoo
    Options
    So the leak did turn out to be in the loo. And eventually someone came out to fix it, but it took over a week and the landlord are saying they won't pay because they don't think the "slight" bill increase is all due to the leak. Slight?! It's £20 extra a month! :(

I am going to contact Severn Trent and see if they can figure out exactly how much extra I am being charged to clear this backlog, and see if that makes a difference. Then go back to them again as I think my contract does stipulate they are responsible for repairs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure