Pet Insurance emergency fees

Our cat had to spend two days over the weekend in emergency care for dehydration, she had been missing for a few hours and just didnt seem to recover. We took her to our normal vet who could not determine the cause but stated she was in need of emergency treatment for dehydration or else basically shed die. Once at the emergency vet he diagnosed a broken tooth and there she stayed until monday when she had op to remove the tooth at this point it was discovered she had diseased teeth. This is an exusion on our insurance and so they have made no payout. Is it worth me persuing it along the lines that regardless of cause without the emergency intervention she would have not lived. We obviously know that the op etc isnt covered. But wondered if I am on a losing streak, your thoughts please, thankyou.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,582
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What exactly is excluded on your insurance?
    Emergency treatment?
    Or having non emergency treatment at an emergency facility?

If something is excluded then it’s not covered. Insurers don’t do sympathyeven if life and death.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would argue for a payout for the dehydration emergency treatment which is not excluded under the terms of the policy. Dental work is often excluded in cats, but unless the vet says the dehydration was caused by the dental problem, you should be covered for the emergency treatment.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • shul558127
    shul558127 Posts: 22
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have today sent a further email arguing the exact same point. That whilst teeth are not covered emergency treatment and dehydration are and without those she would have died. I have nothing to lose however I think their argument will be that the diseased tooth lead to the dehydration hence their refusal to pay out? I can only try.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,859
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Out of interest who is the insurer?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    shul558127 wrote: »
    I have today sent a further email arguing the exact same point. That whilst teeth are not covered emergency treatment and dehydration are and without those she would have died. I have nothing to lose however I think their argument will be that the diseased tooth lead to the dehydration hence their refusal to pay out? I can only try.
    The fact that she would have died is not relevant to them.

All that matters is whether the dental problem caused the dehydration.
    If it was the root cause of the issue, then it's probably not covered and you have to foot the bill yourself.

Check the terms and conditions yourself to see what exactly it says about the exclusion
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure