Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Thanks SSG :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • I'm glad that the volunteering went well :)

Glad that you spoke to the Dtr about getting some counselling, hopefully the waiting list won't be too long.

Sending lots of luck that the potential customer is a definite.

Big hugs xxx
  • Thanks Purplemum :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • On a good note DH and I didn't spend any money at all yesterday :T. Aunt and uncle insisted on paying for our drinks in the restaurant and we didn't buy a thing in the garden centre shop, we just enjoyed looking. There was nothing we needed and we didn't want to spend, so we didn't :T. We took bottles of mineral water and grape juice to niece's house, but the water was bought in bulk from the supermarket and the grape juice given to us by someone and set aside for this type of occasion.

I spent 78p on a can of coke after school today as I was thirsty, but in the past I'd have bought a bottle for £1.40. I'm not buying coke in bulk from the supermarket any more, but just as an occasional treat. I'm drinking my own weight in tea instead :o.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,193 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Well done on your NSD :)
    Tea is good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fab about the money saved.

What does DH do if you don't mind me asking? You might have posted before, but I have forgotten.

I prefer cans to bottles anyway. I'm not sure why. I think I will treat myself to some glass cola bottles this Christmas. They are half the price of a bottle of Prosecco and they will be my treat.

I love it when you have less spendy days. They seem to make me happy now than before when I used to get the high from buying something shiny and new! How times change x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Good news on the no or low spends.

I hope you get a positive result re the counselling but to be honest what you’re going through puts me right off even trying.

Sometimes I think having a complete meltdown at home helps me. Like tonight when I mentioned to DH I’d ultimately like some sort of replacement to the lounge curtains that block the TV. He made the mistake of asking me “what’s your problem”? Cue much cussing then floodgates open. I now feel much better.

Grieving is such hard work but ultimately we will be stronger.

Have you ever considered turning your life skills into some form of paid work like training to counsel others? It has crossed my mind.
    Tilly Tidying and
    PADing in 2024 £250.62
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

RIP Mum & Dad - thanks for helping me on my journey to be
    Debt and Mortgage free from 2018

• Glad you've been put on the list for counselling Hairy,I had some counselling a couple of years ago after something that happened in my personal life and it helped me a lot
    Also well done on the no spend day I've had one too and it feels great
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • @Beanie Thanks :).

@Nicnak DH is self employed and works from home. I love glass cola bottles, that would be a great Christmas drink :). I know what you mean by getting excited about not spending.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 November 2018 at 10:50PM
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    Good news on the no or low spends.

I hope you get a positive result re the counselling but to be honest what you’re going through puts me right off even trying.

Sometimes I think having a complete meltdown at home helps me. Like tonight when I mentioned to DH I’d ultimately like some sort of replacement to the lounge curtains that block the TV. He made the mistake of asking me “what’s your problem”? Cue much cussing then floodgates open. I now feel much better.

Grieving is such hard work but ultimately we will be stronger.

Have you ever considered turning your life skills into some form of paid work like training to counsel others? It has crossed my mind.

Thanks Sally. I've only tried Cruse twice but each time I haven't managed to speak to anyone. I've had more luck with the doctor, although I don't know how long I'll have to wait. I had counselling three years ago and it did help.

I'd really like to work with young children I think because I do enjoy my volunteering and loved being a parent.
    Glad you've been put on the list for counselling Hairy,I had some counselling a couple of years ago after something that happened in my personal life and it helped me a lot
    Also well done on the no spend day I've had one too and it feels great

Thanks OBL. I do think counselling is helpful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure