PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Vampyr
    Vampyr Posts: 58 Forumite
    Astrac wrote: »
    Offer accepted on the 22nd of October, solicitors instructed the 23rd, all my documents submitted promptly; on the 15th of December my sols told me they were waiting for the leasehold management pack from the sellers solicitors. As of today we are still waiting.

I chased this with the EA a few days ago and apparently the seller paid the fee for the management pack only on the 9th of January and that was ordered on the 12th. I got very angry as I don't see why we wasted one month waiting and why the seller seems to be so slow in sorting his stuff; the sellers sols even have the face to tell my sols that there had been no delay at all. My frustration is really coming to the point where I am tempted to just go away from this sale with a huge f***-off to everyone involved as I really need this to be sorted before April for tax reasons.

That is absolutely ridiculous. If I were you I would start looking for another place immediately. Tell the EA that you are back on the market and that once you find somewhere else you are pulling out. There is no good reason for them to drag their heels like that.
  • Astrac
    Astrac Posts: 12 Forumite
    Vampyr wrote: »
    That is absolutely ridiculous. If I were you I would start looking for another place immediately. Tell the EA that you are back on the market and that once you find somewhere else you are pulling out. There is no good reason for them to drag their heels like that.

Thanks for the answer, I would really like to avoid going back on the market. I did write another email to the EA asking them to clarify with the seller what happened in that wasted month and what intensions they really have in terms of timing. After all I think that it's only fair to ask for some transparency; it's really mental that I'm 3 months in for the purchase of a flat without any chains involved (I'm a first time buyer, the seller lives elsewhere and the flat is vacant) and I am still at the first step of the process :/
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Vampyr wrote: »
    I think the British Red Cross charity shops might even take them away for free if they are working. They sell them on. Google them…they take away lots of electricals.

They might have been working (although switched off and full of fetid blood etc - but sadly they're now all on their sides in a field... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hey ho. Seller's solicitor replied to say seller confirmed they had been removed from the property (I must have been imagining what I saw and took photos of yesterday then!!) and that we were welcome to ask their estate agent to go and take photos to prove it :mad:

Tempted as I am to drag their useless, annoying estate agent out to tramp about in the mud and cow !!!!, I really don't trust them at this stage to employ someone reputable and would rather just do it myself :mad: There's always a risk they'll get the same people back AGAIN and they'll just shove the meat through the cat flap out of spite :eek:

I'll never hear the end of it from Mr Cheery. But right now I'd rather 10 minutes of shifting rotten meat (which at least will be near enough frozen at this time of year) and then a quick phone call to the council than any more tense emailing the solicitor!

Still no sign of exchange (I did check and this is NOT holding us up - but nobody seems sure what is...).

Tempted to ring the estate agent as I'm not going to get anything other than 'I'll chase them again' out of the solicitor...
  • Well, we're definitely not completing weds. Our buyer has not deposited the transfer fee and doesn't have the full monies.

I've cancelled the removals, my solicitor has informed our vendor -apparently they're not happy as had booked time off etc but so had we.

Here's hoping for a new completion date next week, as well as proof that our buyer has the money! Oh and that our vendor doesn't just walk away! This is so frustrating.

There's absolutely nothing i can do. Awaiting a call from vendor's EA shouting at us. Hopefully she'll go straight to buyer's solicitor!

Phoebe, that sounds even worse, at least we have a house!

Good luck Vicki! Hope you get an offer soon!

Astrac, hope things move soon. We're also 15 weeks in.

Cheery, don't know what to say. I hate fly tippers but in your shoes I'd also want to move. My daughter has been out with the litterpicker this evening as we've a skip and she also hates litter. :(
  • Cheery_Daff
    liquoricet So sorry :( What a fiasco. Why are people getting right to the end of the process without having the money available?! :eek: Good grief. Hope you get it sorted soon :eek: I do hope your vendor's EA doesn't shout at you - this really isn't your fault and hopefully they'll realise that!

Well we haven't exchanged today either - VERY glad now that we ended up with 3 weeks between exchange and completion as I would be even more wound up if it was only a few days :eek:

Caved in at half 4 and rang our estate agent to get them to chase down the chain to see what's happening. No response...

Going to be VERY patient tomorrow and sit on my hands and not chase anyone - but if I haven't heard anything by Wednesday morning all hell will break loose :mad: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Vampyr
    Still no sign of exchange (I did check and this is NOT holding us up - but nobody seems sure what is...).

Tempted to ring the estate agent as I'm not going to get anything other than 'I'll chase them again' out of the solicitor...

A hold up and no-one knows why - that sounds about right! I’m not that surprised tbh…the reason that your buyer didn’t know they had to transfer a deposit didn’t sound particularly plausible to me. I’ve had so many of these crazy explanations from EAs. The hold-up probably is your buyer if his solicitor isn’t responding (that's a classic sign - they are not allowed to say anything so they say stop responding), but the reason could be anything. The whole process is so opaque – makes me want to tear my hair out! :mad::mad::mad:
  • Vampyr
    Astrac wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer, I would really like to avoid going back on the market. /

I don’t think you necessarily have to, but the estate agent should think you will. They will only do something if their commission is in danger. They should have chased this long ago and told their client to sort it out as soon as the offer was accepted.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Indeed Vampyr - our buyer is fine, it's THEIR buyer (the bottom of the chain) that's the problem!

I suppose we might find out at some point, maybe... :rotfl:
  • RXT156
    RXT156 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Hii all. Great news last week, vendor sorted electrical certificate (SO relieved, I was losing sleep over the though of turning the lights on and the whole house burning down!!!!) but luckily they have had the check done and the paperwork is with sols now. Just waiting to hear about exchange and completion dates now as all is in place for my purchase. Progress is being made. Almost 4 months in but nearly there now.
  • kezzygirl
    kezzygirl Posts: 888 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Update from my end: pest controller has been in to quote re the woodworm found, it doesnt need treating apparently and seems old and minimal, which is great news. Just got a roofer going in over the next week to quote for the roof repair where the tiles have slipped. Have emailed solicitor querying if we could have a provisional date for exchange.

Bit reluctant to close the htb isa until we know when we will exchange!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback