Petrol prices

13»

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Manufacturer's oil or fuel brand recommendations are all to do with corporate tie-ups and marketing. No more than that.

Yes, I know. ;)
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    And that money would be taken out of the budget for something else. No fuel duty would mean over 20% of the NHS budget being take away, for example.

Electric cars are going to cause the government some public spending problems in the not to distant future.
    With respect, that's a response I wouldn't expect from someone who describes him/herself as Libertarian.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    aardvaak wrote: »
    Near to where I live there is a retail park where Tesco is charging 123.9 ppl and exactly opposite is a BP station charging 128.9 ppl for Unleaded.

Yet there are silly people filling up at the BP station.

Why don't people use what brain they might have and save 5 ppl?

Drivers use shell as they aren't paying for the fuel eg a fuel card/or get the cost reimbursed and use the Shell card for points.

Drivers have used Shell fuel for years and wont change.
  • Company fuel cards like All Star etc. are paid at what is called 'bunkerage rates'.

This means that the cost per litre is negotiated in advance and, irrespective of the forecourt price, that is the price that the account holder pays.

Normally the bunkerage rate would be around 8p per litre lower than the pump price. Sometimes the cost of fuel will drop below the bunkerage rate so the fuel supplier would make an extra profit but normally the rate they negotiate with the fuel companies would be around a penny a litre less than they charge the account holder which is how they make their profit.

If the cost of fuel jumps above the bunkerage rate it does not matter as the card company has a fixed and locked in price.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Richard53 wrote: »
    With respect, that's a response I wouldn't expect from someone who describes him/herself as Libertarian.

civil liberties, equality, personal autonomy and human rights don't have that much to do with petrol prices or government economic policy and rarely influence my thinking on that subject.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure