CCJ- creditor paid but refusing to notify the court

In December 2016 a company who moved home for us sued us for unpaid removal costs. We were in France for 4 weeks and didn't know. We had withheld payment due to extensive theft during the move- they had refused to give us the insurance papers. They received judgement and we paid in full within 30 days as we were going through the last months of my late fathers illness. I cannot get this off my file.

I have written to the court, enclosed the proof of payment yet the court say the claimant has to do it? The claimant will not and has told me to 'get lost'. he is very intimidating. Any ideas as we will need a mortgage soon.

Comments

• Take the claimant to court
  • Wiltsmum
    Wiltsmum Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2018 at 9:36AM
    Thanks Gary. Bit worried about taking him to court as seriously intimidating. Had to report him to the police for sitting outside my former home. Don't want to expose our current address which will be on the court forms.
  • Then you definitely need to take him to court then
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Wiltsmum

The Registry Trust is the official Keeper of the Register of Orders, Judgments and Fines in England and Wales. On their website it explains how to get a CCJ removed where you have paid it in full within one month.

The court should accept the CCJ was paid if you can provide evidence of this. If you can't, the court should write to the claimant on your behalf. There is a form to fill in and a small fee to pay.

If the court won't agree to do this refer them to the Registry Trust website that explains the process https://www.trustonline.org.uk/understand-judgments-fines/ccjs-and-county-courts/county-court-judgment-records-how-long-ccjs-stay-on-record. Best of luck with it.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you not show the debt was paid within 30 days from your bank account entry (for example)? That should suffice for the county court in these circumstances.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Wiltsmum wrote: »
    Thanks Gary. Bit worried about taking him to court as seriously intimidating. Had to report him to the police for sitting outside my former home. Don't want to expose our current address which will be on the court forms.

The claimant is not obligated to notify the court, and on what grounds are you considering taking him to court,?

What proof did you get when you paid off the ccj?

If it is conclusive then you can apply to the court yourself to have the ccj removed.

Contact the court and ask them to send you the required form to complete and return it to them with your proof and the fee.

The court should then ensure it gets removed assuming you paid in full and the claimant received the money within the month allowed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    The thread is this link: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5462835

Is about getting a CCJ marked as satisfied rather than removed/cancelled, but the principle is just the same.

Make a formal complaint to the Court Manager.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure