Applying for student loan with DRO

Options
Hello,

Posting on behalf of a friend.She is in IVA but after about a year she cannot afford to keep on paying.She considers doing a DRO.She has mental health problems and cannot deal with the stress of DCA turning up.No priority debts.She needs an advanced learner/student loan for a 4-5 months trade course.Can she get a loan 1. with DRO or 2.on IVA if she manages to keep on pay that somehow?3.Or should she apply for student loan between IVA and DRO?Thanks

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Rosie

There are no credit checks for an Advanced Learner Loan, so a DRO or IVA makes no difference, and the timing of her application would not matter either. The full eligibility criteria can be found at https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility

Given the above, I think the priority here for your friend is to get some proper advice and support ASAP as to her next steps i.e. stopping IVA payments, doing DRO, what to do inbetween etc.

I would point out for now that there won't be any immediate creditor action as a result of any stoppage in IVA payments - the IVA would have to fail/be formally terminated before anyone could resume pursuit of their debts.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Rosie88
    Rosie88 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Dennis.Her main worry is that she would have to disclose the new(student) loan to IVA company or DRO people.In IVA it's stated that you could not have any loan over £500.Not sure about DRO.
    Is she allowed to have a student loan in IVA or with DRO.Or she should try and time it while between the two?Which might not be possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure