PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Kittie, I have only just got round to look at the rest of the Croft Mill website, there is some lovely fabric on there! I am not allowing myself to buy any fabric until I've got rid of some. A lot of what I've collected is thrifted stuff, but it's time to be realistic about what I'm likely to use. Some of it is intended for reupholstering a small sofa and some dining chairs- I need to get on and do it! I think the incentive of perhaps buying some new fabric might work.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You seem to be 'cooking on gas' Kittie! I'm frustrated by work sewing at the moment. Last week I caught up with the stuff for my garment alterations business, so cut out a little dress for a friend's baby daughter. Friday the work started to pile in and has just kept coming! I am going to try and not do any work sewing at the weekend and hope to have time then to move it on.

You wouldn't believe how late some of these girls leave it to have their prom dresses altered! I am hoping that the last one is with me and will be finished this afternoon.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    craftsy sale is on , all classes are reduced a lot, the lowest I have ever seen them
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    last week I took two tops out of my wardrobe, never worn and ideal for very hot days but I never liked them on me. Last night I worked out why and they are far too long, show every bump around the tum/hip and does nothing for my short height. I decided to re-do the bottoms and omg are they difficult. The fabric is thin and beyond stretchy , 55%hemp and 45% cotton, they were from orvis quite a long time ago. They have a very deep curve on both sides, so the hem would be very tricky. I cut off 6 inches

Many moons ago, I took out my 25% pension and bought another machine, a babylock cover stitch and I own up to having only tried it once, then I left it alone, it was scary. Today I watched two lessons from my new craftsy class called coverstitch basics and beyond by Yellen. I got part way through lesson 2 and decided to bite the bullet, deciding that I would learn more via mistakes. I used some Nancy Zieman two sided tape for stability, luckily have lots of notions like this in my room. I did it, made a very nice hem, better than the original in fact. I left all the thread ends and will sew them in place later. All this new stuff with these magic machines is so scary. I cut my teeth on simple stuff, trick is to keep using these stretch fabrics and to keep using the machines. I`m someone who doesn`t even have a mobile phone

It started today when I decided to tidy and sort my sewing bits, not fabric or patterns. I have some duplicates, including dedicated scissors and they are in a box for dgd for when she is ready

My amazon order of the two merchant and mills books came today, oh they are delightful, such a vintage look about them and so many patterns. I was going to give the sewing book to dgd and just keep the workbook but no way. They are tactile and gorgeous and will give me many hours of pleasure. They were another hedonistic bargain as a pack of two

If you google nancy zieman tv, you will find many many very good and free tv lessons from Nancy. I watched and watched them years ago, to get up to speed with modern methods and terminology

Sewing for myself is not easy when it comes to fitting, so I have ordered a tilting cheval mirror that I can keep against a wall or pull out, that and another mirror will help me to see my back. Who needs holidays! I would rather get stuff that will help me with my hobbies
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kittie you and i seem to be of a similar age, i have a mobile that i use for the alarm to get me up in the morning, never to use for phone calls or texting.
    I have a Brother sewing machine and an old Toyota spare one.
    My new machine does everything i want including stitching jersey fabric etc. I manage just fine but would love a sergar machine.
    Sewing is my life now i am retired.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Kittie thanks for the tip about Craftsy. I'm on it! Think I'll be buying at least one, I have never tried one before but your recommendation is good enough for me.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 July 2017 at 5:05PM
    Options
    Rosie there is so much to learn from modern methods, I suppose that came from adapting to stretch fabrics, fleece and so on. In the old days it was cotton and then unstretchy rayon and then polyester and we got by with pinking shears and by dealing with the seam in whatever way we could. I prefer the word serger tbh and I have to say that now I use it for every single garment I make. Some sergers can do cover stitch too

I seem to be sewing myself into the ground sometimes, I think it is that urge and need to see something finished. I was at the allotment by 6, then did some baking, then spent a very long time with a pre-altered pull on A line skirt and 6 gore from brown paper patterns. I completely changed my alterations from 8 years ago. 5 inches off the length and reduced the hip size while keeping the waist size, I had previously graded the hip size to larger. In the end I reverted back to the actual pattern and never had to alter anything. I made a loop of elastic for the A line waist and got that sown in fine, just stitching very close to the edge of the waistband. Next time I will make the waistband slighly taller and then stitch in the ditch from the right side instead.

Three stashes have been used today, one for a 6 gore skirt muslin, which I had to reduce to the standard brown paper sizing and 5 inches shorter. That was binned, second stash was a better linen in a dark sage green, for the new A line, possibly as a muslin but I made it properly, just in case and I am happily wearing it now. Already tired but my eye fell on a very nice length of fabric hanging up, obviously a cotton with a little sideways stretch. Bright with large deco flowers on a black background, 2m 9 cm. I could not fit the 6 gore onto it and have plenty of tops, so another trapeze is cut out, short sleeves with a cm to spare/ I am tidied up now, which is good

I am also slowly getting rarely worn and not liked, stuff out of my wardrobe. Three items this morning and one is bulky, another item that I made 8 years ago but is swimming on me. I have body image problems I think, see myself as larger than I am. I used to, better these days

Polly wd on the craftsy class, its addictive. I watched the whole cover stitch one last night and learnt loads

Rosie have you got 100 pieces of fabric stash?
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 July 2017 at 6:07PM
    Options
    The end of another sewing day but also much more. I cleared 11 items out of a wardrobe last night and also took a large object off the floor on one side of wardrobe, so now my dresses are hanging up :D I have a huge black bag full of clothing

I cleared another stash this morning as I wanted to have a trial run with the six gored skirt. I enjoyed making it, until I came to the facing and realised that I had left a gore out, so some unpicking to do and more overlocking. I am learning to think ahead and am serging hems while leaving one seam open, same with sleeves. Zip went in easily and the whole skirt is neat with not much waist bulk. However I am inclined to elasticated waists these days and will be having a go at a 6 gore pull on, as soon as I have worked out how to do the waistband. The fabric is almost a canvas with a slight stretch in a bright plain turquoise, the lightweight pepleum blouse hanging in the bedroom goes perfectly with it. I was going to dismantle the blouse as it feels a bit big across the shoulders but no-one would know. Its a good outfit for the rest of this summer, then I will see

I have been dithering over the neck on my new cut out dress, squeezed out of 2 metres, stunning fabric but had to be careful to make sure not to get two large round flowers where they shouldn`t be. It was very quick indeed to serge together this afternoon. The fabric could have made a top as there is some stretch and that made me think about the neckline. The facing and interfacing in the dress pattern are just too much for some fabrics. I tried something very different and found some 12mm stay tape with a bit of a stretch along the sides but none in the middle as there is a chain stitch. I think it is that newly discovered vilene stay tape but I bought that messy screwed up bundle 25 years ago and had no inkling how to use it. I crossed my fingers, ironed it on all around the neck, then very carefully coverstitched two rows, using an edge guide as you sew blind. It ended up wonderfully good, so that is my new method for t shirts, so much nicer than bias tape. I was worried and the machine goes so fast. You don`t need a special machine, two rows of stitching and a stretch needle will give good results

The cheapest place I found to get vilene tape is william gee. I ended up using it on the hem and sleeves and have made my best ever dress. The neck lies perfectly flat and no bulk. Fabric was from croft mill five years ago. I have been buying from them since pre-internet days, they get fantastic fabrics, just got to keep looking

I am putting a huge unused quilting bag out tomorrow and have hung all my quilting rulers and french curves on the door instead, so I can see them. Strange isn`t it but I love my sewing room now, its been a long time coming, gradually converting from my husbands study. I don`t quilt but the rulers are wonderful and so is the ambience in that room
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kittie
    Yes to the 100 pieces of stash fabric, i love fabric so always on the look out.
    I think sewing is a very personal thing and for me the old fashioned way. I always turn the hem of skirts, dresses, trousers etc by hand, it gives me so much more satisfaction then doing it by machine.
    I envy you with the craft room, as since we down sized, i use the kitchen table.
    Your makes sound fabulous by the way.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 July 2017 at 6:53AM
    Options
    Rosie I cut out on my kitchen table and used to sew on there, probably why I never used my overlocker as it is so heavy to move. Since my husband died, I migrated to what was his study upstairs overlooking the front of the house. I use the same desk and cupboard but put my cutting mats on the desk to protect the top because I slide my overlocker for use. I cut and screwed a piece of shelving flat on the back of the desk because it used to be 6 inches away from the wall and that gave me more useable space.

100 stashes, lol. Well done getting through them

I am having a window glass replacement this morning, so will get busy cooking instead of sewing, will make more ready meals for the freezer.

Last night I found a skirt that may well be good for me. Its a stylearc skirt called allison
    https://www.stylearc.com/shop/sewing-patterns/allison-skirt/
    I opened the packet last night, all heavy paper and no wonder they would rather sell pdf. A massive pattern, just one piece to cut twice plus a waistband for 1 cm elastic. I did the mesurements and it looks to be fine. They designed the godets very carefully and the front and back are each in one wide piece. It needs a fabric with a lot of sideways stretch and I have such a piece. I am going to cut the fabric into two equal lengths to make it easier to handle. I would love to use a rotary cutter on it but that would mean the impossible task of moving the fabric about on smaller cutting boards. I stuck spare paper onto the bottom of the pattern and have increased the skirt length by 4 inches

My fingers and joints have been stiff and sore for a few days, I thought it was the sewing and the rain but now realise that it was aubergine as I have been eating one of my aubergine and lamb ready meals daily because I get so busy sewing. I am never going to use aubergine again. I don`t eat peppers and potatoes and will stay off tomatoes when I can but aubergine gave me really bad inflammations in my joints, even disturbing sleep every night. I don`t think it is down to sewing, just the nightshade family
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback