Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oliver14 wrote: »
    Sometimes people have to give animals up for reasons out of their control. So some people would rather rehome the animals themselves rather than risk taking them to some rehome centres where they could be put down if they arent rehomed or deemed not suitable.

My friends took on an elderly cat from someone who was emigrating. The owner couldn't bear the thought of putting her pet into a rehoming centre and having no control over what happened to it.

As it was, she visited my friends and talked to them and made sure she was happy for them to be the new owners. The cat settled well and lived out its days in comfort.
  • Wei-Huang
    Wei-Huang Posts: 346 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2011 at 12:16PM
    Oliver14 wrote: »
    You do realise a lot of shelters actually put down healthy animals when they cant rehome them in a certain period of time. I'd take the rose tinted glasses off as much as shelters can be good they are not the panacia you seem to think. For example Battersea dogs home on average put down 2500 healthy dogs a year,

Sometimes people have to give animals up for reasons out of their control. So some people would rather rehome the animals themselves rather than risk taking them to some rehome centres where they could be put down if they arent rehomed or deemed not suitable. I've worked for some centres and their Home checks arent always as good as you seem to think.

If freecycle give people an avenue that they can contact potential people to rehome there animals to whats the problem. How do you know they are all abusers have you met them all? I know of people who have rehomed a cat via freegle. They checked the responder out dit there own assessment of them. The cat now has a happy healthy home found by there former owner who had to give them up due to illness.

I think you need to step off that high hosre a bit.

I'm well aware of this, that's why people should give to NO-KILL shelters, of which there are plenty, and I am a trustee of one.

I'm wearing no rose-tinted glasses, it is you who is, ignoring how many animals fall into the wrong hands because of free to good home ads.

I've already explained to you the problem. Free to good home does not ensure a CERTIFIED home check, or a legally binding contract where the animal can be taken back if abused. Free to good home does not provide spay/neuter services before rehoming so you will have idiots using free animals for breeding. Free to good home is not going to have legal access to a banned from having animals register. Free to good home is not going to have the opportunity to provide inoculations.

And anyone who wants to get in contact with the new carers for their animal can easily ask the sanctuary to forward them the details. Not so hard. A few successful homes does not make up for the blatant disregard for the danger that free to good homes puts animals in. Countless animals have ended up abused and killed because they were so easily gotten.

So I'll get off my so called high horse when you and others stop defending the blatant wrong doing of this so called animal loving nation.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • MackemPunk
    MackemPunk Posts: 342 Forumite
    hermum wrote: »
    Is she taking the pushchair they already have to her charitable work, maybe skip diving on the way & needs to be able to push the stuff she retrieves,or perhaps he can't push a pram & hold a toddlers reins at the same time?
    Or maybe they have two young tots who both need to be in a buggy, but own two seperate buggys, one person can't push two buggys.
    If at first you don't succeed, maybe bomb disposal isn't the best career choice.
  • Bubble16
    Bubble16 Posts: 261 Forumite
    hi i am affder tabble and chairs and a garden shed if any one can help me please get in touch i cant pick up as dont drive please would you deliver for petrol costs number is......
  • KevInChester
    KevInChester Posts: 458 Forumite
    I once was lucky enough to get offered a PC on Freecycle, so I paid a friends Dad £15 to drive me 15 miles or so to collect it. I got home, plugged it in - BANG, smoke and everything. I mailed the person to let him know, but said I managed to salvage a few parts from it so not all bad. Still what a disappointment that was, still managed to get another PC months later which I fixed using parts from the blown up one!
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MackemPunk wrote: »
    Or maybe they have two young tots who both need to be in a buggy, but own two seperate buggys, one person can't push two buggys.

No I'm aware of that but I would assume that there aren't always two parents around or the stay home parent & two tots are housebound.
  • hermum
    Forumite
    Wei-Huang wrote: »
    I'm well aware of this, that's why people should give to NO-KILL shelters, of which there are plenty, and I am a trustee of one.

I'm wearing no rose-tinted glasses, it is you who is, ignoring how many animals fall into the wrong hands because of free to good home ads.

I've already explained to you the problem. Free to good home does not ensure a CERTIFIED home check, or a legally binding contract where the animal can be taken back if abused. Free to good home does not provide spay/neuter services before rehoming so you will have idiots using free animals for breeding. Free to good home is not going to have legal access to a banned from having animals register. Free to good home is not going to have the opportunity to provide inoculations.

And anyone who wants to get in contact with the new carers for their animal can easily ask the sanctuary to forward them the details. Not so hard. A few successful homes does not make up for the blatant disregard for the danger that free to good homes puts animals in. Countless animals have ended up abused and killed because they were so easily gotten.

So I'll get off my so called high horse when you and others stop defending the blatant wrong doing of this so called animal loving nation.

A lot of breeders don't do home checks & there are thousands of animals abused, neglected & thrown out to fend for themselves every year after a good amount of money has been paid for them.
    If someone's going to neglect an animal I don't think that they are either less or more likely to because they are free.
    But as freecycle is to stop items going to landfill, I would hope that if these unwanted pets aren't re-homed they won't end up as landfill.
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Found this gem:

wanted: silver cutlary set
    hi its my mum and dads wedding anerversary coming up and i wanted to give them something silver, but with limited funds i cant do this, can anyone help me
  • timeportal
    timeportal Posts: 224 Forumite
    Found this gem:

wanted: silver cutlary set
    hi its my mum and dads wedding anerversary coming up and i wanted to give them something silver, but with limited funds i cant do this, can anyone help me

"I found this spoon, sir"
    Wins 2015:-

Jan; Jelly Belly Bean dispenser and beans
  • hermum
    Forumite
    WANTED: gas cooker and a dyson hoover

need these items a.s.a.p

Because of course no other vacuum cleaner will work. I'm surprised that they didn't state the make of cooker they need asap as well.
    It's generally newbies who have never offered anything that want real specifics.

Maybe Freecycle should be renamed, Dream Maker, or I'm going to take the p155 now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure