Water Bills questions and comment

Options

Comments

• markedgar
    Options
    I agree Stuart.

However, much like the recent news regarding an average £60 increase on annual car insurance premiums to cover the costs associated with incidents involving uninsured drivers, it does beg the question: why are the rest of us (as well as the providers of this and other services, and their associates) bearing the cost of this? In truth, the costs are almost ALWAYS passed back to (unsuspecting), paying consumers.

While water is, of course, a necessity, if there are individuals out there that really cannot pay, of course we need to help them. No question about that. End of debate.

My concern is, how true is their 'inability to pay'? I bet many have the usual modern day mod-cons, yet they can't pay for their water?

Personally, I suspect that when you put aside the genuine cases, there are quite a few that simply play the system (we are all aware of this in other areas) and waste this valuable resource too.

While this may prove very controversial for many, it does raise an important issue.

I find it very hard to grasp that anybody living in the UK today does not have - or can find - the ability to pay for such an essential commodity as water. It may not be cheap. Neither is treating it, or maintaining the huge hidden network supplying our water and taking and treating unwanted water waste. It's certainly not free either.

In addition, metering (even if it proves more expensive) should be a pre-requisite. I have neighbours and relatives that waste water like it's their right to. It's not.

We can all benefit and certainly start by thinking a bit more about what is best for all, not just the (selfish) individual. Metering water should encourage resourcefulness and why should it not be paid for through volume used? Most other services are billed this way.

- and why should ordinary people suffer with higher water bills as a result of non-payers?

;) Mark E

Without Prejudice
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • Haggy_3
    Haggy_3 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Just a little thought for those reducing their usage of water to cut their bills. Around here, Bournemouth & West Hants water have just been allowed special dispensation to increase everyone's bills above the official limit.

Why?.....because people have been conserving water and the company hasn't been selling as much!!!! :o
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • redlakes
    Options
    I have a water meter, which I noticed as being faulty about one year ago. I noticed that my meter readings were decreasing!!
    When the company read the meter the next quarter, as opposed to me providing the reading, they indicated that I was now several hundred pounds in credit on my statement.
    Now whilst I enjoy having lower bills. I decided to tell them that something wasn't right. They still havent changed the meter, even though I had told them 3 times since May. They have decreased by direct debit by 2/3, due to all the credit on the account.
    Does anyone know where I stand when they do eventually get round to changing the meter? How do they calculate the usage over that time, and can I appeal against an excessive estimate?
  • EMcG
    EMcG Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since they have reduced your direct debit to a third of what it was put the remaining 2/3rds in a decent savings account via direct debit. Keep hassling them about the meter - they will fix it eventually and when they do bill you for all the water charges you'll have the money available plus a bit of interest too.

I have the same problem with with British Gas - they did some work for me last Sept. but still haven't billed me yet. They will eventually and the money for that bill is squirreled way.
  • chicky77uk
    Options
    Anglian Water offer a SoLow tariff for people on a water meter.

If you are a low user you can apply to go onto this rate and you pay no standing charges, just an increased rate per cubic meter for water/sewerage. Its also ideal for anyone with a holiday home - the criteria is that it has to be furnished and used sometimes.

The threshold for saving with this tariff is 75m3 per year so if your annual usage is less than that then call and get switched over. You can change tariff once a year.

0800 91 91 55  8am - 8pm mon to fri
    (please remember call centre agents are people too x)

Routine bills are usually sent 6 monthly so its easy to work out your consumption. Most folk use more water in the summer so its worth bearing this in mind.

I would have thought that other water companies offer something similar.

ps - my dad says only dirty people wash!
    something missing
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Anglian Water fit meters for free, you also have 12 months to decide to stay on a meter or go back to rateable value ,its in everybody's intrest to have a go you cant loose !
  • deanos
    Options
    I live alone in a four bedroom house, I have a water meter. When I first moved in two years ago I was charged 18 pounds a month. this was then changed to 29 pounds a month and this year has been changed to 48 pounds a month. I have asked for the meter to be checked but so far this has not happenedalthough Anglia Water have said that they will only charge me the 29 pounds a month for the time being. I do not have a swimming pool.
    Doreen

first turn your stoptap off under the sink, go outside and look at the meter, if the dial in the middle is moving you have a leak somewhere between the meter and the house, if the meter is not moving turn the internal stoptap back on and make sure nothing in the house is using any water, look at the meter again if it is moving you have a leak inside, AW is responsible for the pipework up to your house, internal pipework is your responsability.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure about those responsibilities.
    I thought they were responsible for the pipes running to the meter and you were responsible for anything coming from the meter.

Anyone know for sure?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've found it here

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/Content/waterandseweragepipes

responsibility changes at the boundary of the property (that's not the boundary of the house - for example it may include a front garden and private driveway).
  • deanos
    Options
    Anglian Water cover up to where it enters the property(up to 25m of pipe) its called the "Water tight promise",  im not sure about other companys :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback