Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 28,998Posts
    • 165,046Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 40
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 25th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 11,090 Posts
    • 59,461 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Ed, our front lawn is almost entirely moss.... not wanting to use chemicals I spent a long time ignoring it, but DH finally persuaded me to get some weed and feed last year - the bit we've done is looking a lot better for it... just the rest to do now and cut it! A scarifier would have killed us I think, and barely touched the surface.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    The thing that scared the !!!! out of me was watching a video about scarifying where the guy cut the grass, scarified, raked up and then said "right, we're going to do that all again" before getting started on round 2. I think it's a war, not a battle
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 25th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    The thing that scared the !!!! out of me was watching a video about scarifying where the guy cut the grass, scarified, raked up and then said "right, we're going to do that all again" before getting started on round 2. I think it's a war, not a battle
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    My solution was simple. Dig it all up and put artificial down. All tools promptly dispatched to the tip and i've never looked back. Just give it a hoover twice a year, job done!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 37//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £39,897.62
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £96,102.38 // Avg Daily Interest £4.32
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 64.95% of £41,000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 25th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 9,258 Thanks
    themadvix
    Ah yes, Jimmy but that's a plastic lawn.... never an option for me... all those bits of plastic/microplastic washing down into the soil system and then the water
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 25th Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Trust you to spoil it with a guilt trip

I'll swap the plastic for the chemicals of the weeds killer
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 37//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £39,897.62
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £96,102.38 // Avg Daily Interest £4.32
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 64.95% of £41,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 28,998 Posts
    • 165,046 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh, lots of visitors! Hello everyone

Okay, jumping into the latest topic du jour ... sorry Jimmy, I agree with madvix, can't put down all that plastic in the garden. I have grass (not a lawn, no way ) and I also have a lot of moss. As peeps have said, its very soft to walk on. But I don't know why its so bad for our gardens? Is it just a hangover from when people were supposed to have lawns? And had servants? I genuinely don't understand. Or maybe, thinking about it, it kills the soil and harms worms etc? Can't believe that, but maybe ... does anyone know? I've googled it before, and only found links to mosskilling chemicals.

madvix - not spam! I've been scanning away, latest lot of pix are very jumbled up, straight from a Ruby Wedding in 1963 to a restaurant meal in 2007 ... I have a system, though, it won't beat me

I'm going to find a stopping point Real Soon Now and, you know it, go out into the garden mostly to do a little incinerator fire. Partly to chop up other stuff for the bin (rhodies and cherry laurel, which gives off cyanide, dontcha know, when you burn it!).

Got to have a quick scoot around here, of course
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 52,853 Posts
    • 207,851 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    • 28,998 Posts
    • 165,046 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks beanie

Hmm, I didn't get out to the garden before the heavens opened ... drat! Bringing forward the indoor jobs instead, which are quite boring, unfortunately, hey ho, needs must.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Apr 18, 2:18 PM
    • 52,853 Posts
    • 207,851 Thanks
    beanielou
    No rain here but none too warm
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 25th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 13,640 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Raining & sunning at the same time here in the big smoke!

Weird weather!
    ONE YEAR & 5 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 25th Apr 18, 3:25 PM
    • 11,090 Posts
    • 59,461 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Raining & sunning at the same time here in the big smoke!

Weird weather!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    We had a bit of that. I'm at the top of a grand old building - raining on the skylight - but sunshine out of the windows!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,641Posts Today

8,265Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This week's MSE emails out inc Why I'm suing Facebook, TSB help, Big energy switch ends, free eye test, cheap Easy? https://t.co/cHaLs25dUD

• It's an ad. I don't do ads. Its not legit. No ads with me in are legit. That is another scam. https://t.co/uEgbuhJzxy

• RT @Ofcom: Can you tell the difference between an official website and a third-party call connection service site from search results? @PSA?

• Follow Martin