Old Credit Card Debt Help

Tripledrop
Tripledrop Posts: 333 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 April 2018 at 1:13PM in Credit cards
Firstly, admin please move to more appropriate forum if necessary.

Hi all, I wondered if someone could provide some advice/suggestions for me?

A long time ago (15 years or so), I took out a credit card with Egg. I was young, and at some point after this, I entered into an informal debt management arrangement (through PayPlan) with all of my debtors, including Egg.

Within the last few years, all of my debts have been completely cleared, and I now have a 999 rating with Experian.

However, as you may be aware, Egg hasn't existed for a long time. My account was purchased by Barclaycard (then Hoist, then back to Barclaycard) years ago. When it came to approaching my creditors to offer payments, nobody could find record of my Egg credit card at Barclaycard.

At the time I called them (2014), and they said they had no record, and I asked whether that meant I didn't have to pay. They agreed, but unfortunately I have lost the recording of the call I made.

Next thing I know was in August last year, I got a letter from Robinson Way requesting (in their normal lovely way), that I pay back the money. I immediately (on advice from here I believe), wrote Barclaycard a letter under the consumer credit act, asking for a copy of my credit agreement within the normal 12 working days, attaching a postal order for the £1 charge.

I never heard back.

I have received a few other letters from Robinson Way, however I guess as the amount is so small (less than £300) I haven't had anything too threatening.

Today I called Barclaycard, and they have no record of the letter I sent (and being best part of a year ago, I no longer have the proof of postage). They advised to write to them again requesting my credit agreement.

Debt is not on my credit report.

What would people's advice or suggestions be?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ignore your 999 score for start, obviously. It's very common amongst those with poor credit histories.

Apart from getting the credit agreement, when did you last acknowledge the debt?
  • If it's not on your credit report then my guess is that it's over 6 years old since default/contact made and it's now dropped off.

This would make it statute barred and not enforceable anymore
  • Tripledrop
    I know about the score, its just nice to be accepted for everything last few years when I had such a bad time before..

What does acknowledging mean? I called Barclaycard today?
  • Tripledrop wrote: »
    I know about the score, its just nice to be accepted for everything last few years when I had such a bad time before..

What does acknowledging mean? I called Barclaycard today?

Acceptance has nothing to do with the score though.

Acknowledging as in made a payment, confirmed you owe the debt etc.

Have you done any of that in the past 6 years
  • Tripledrop
    I guess so then.. I was paying payplan an amount each month until some point in 2014 for my debt management plan, and a part of that was for this debt..
  • Tripledrop
    Any other advice from anyone? Thanks :)
  • Tripledrop
    So received another letter from Robinson Way, offering a 25% discount (same letter received last couple of times).

Anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?
  • If the debt is still valid and not statue barred then you need to pay it otherwise they can pursue a CCJ
  • Tripledrop
    OK, thanks... So if I pay this, will it then appear on my credit report? It doesn't currently as way too old...

Same question but if I pay the offered, reduced amount, or negotiate even less?
  • No it won't re-appear - but a CCJ is issued then that will.

I don't believe this to now be statute barred since you were making payments to them in 2014 - thus the 6 year limitation would come into play in 2020

You could contact them and make your own settlement offer and see what they say
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure