Eligibility Checkers - Pinch of salt

Just a bit of background.....

My credit history is blemished. I had an issue with British Gas back in 2016 when I moved to a new address and it took months and months to finally get a final bill from them. Unknown to me during that time, they had been recording late payments for six months and also a default on the gas account but not the electric (go figure?)

Anyway, as soon as I managed to get the final bill in my hands (four months of hounding them) I paid it completely. They refused to remove any markers.

So, this left a nasty mark on my credit history making it difficult to get any kind of credit. Prior to this, my repayment history was immaculate.

Fast forward.... I have a Barclaycard (had this for a couple of years prior to this issue) and used to have a Halifax card until last year when they decided to close it due to the above. Sine then the only cards I have been able to get are Marbles, Capital One and Vanquis to help improve my credit profile.

Every eligibility checker for me always shows just subprime cards ranging from 60% to guaranteed acceptance.

Last year I bit the bullet and applied for a HSBC dual card with no expectation of being accepted. To my surprise, I was albeit with only a 1.8k limit. Still it was something.

Since the British Gas thing, my payments continue to be made on time, paid in full apart from the 0% HSBC card and a balance I have been paying down on the Barclaycard. The only blemish on my report being British Gas.

Recently, both Marbles and Vanquis decided to increase my credit limits and also last month Barclaycard increased by £4000.

Going back a year or so, I applied for a Nationwide Flex Account and Credit Card at the same time. I was refused the credit card and was given only a Basic Account. Last month I asked if they would upgrade it but they wouldn't. I don't need the account as I have my main current account elsewhere but it would have been nice for the 5%

So today, I check and the pre-qualifiers and as usual all I have shown are the sub-prime cards, Aqua, Vanquis etc. Feeling brave, I decided to apply for the Nationwide Card.... I passed the pre-qualification and submitted for the full check, thinking I would be declined but hey presto..... approved for £12k!!! So I have transferred my Barclaycard balance to this new card at 0%.

It just goes to show that you shouldn't always rely on the pre-qualify checkers. They are really just a rough guide. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and gauge your own credit history.

I am pleased as punch to say the least. The 0% HSBC and new 0% Nationwide card will be paid off within 12 months and I will be saving around £500 in the interest alone from what I was paying Barclaycard plus what I am saving on the HSBC card.

Comments

• A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Totally true, according to eligibility checks I had either 0% or 10% for a Amex cashback Card. I applied and was approved immediately. Last year I had a 90% for TSB cashback Card and was declined. I don’t find them accurate at all.:rotfl:
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also remember that the percentages mean some will be declined, a "95% acceptance" still means a 5% chance getting rejected. Often see posts on here by people who think such a high percent is like being pre-approved.
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Yeah, they!!!8217;re odd and pretty unreliable I think.

Recently accepted for two mainstream credit cards, AMEX & Barclaycard with a 0% chance of acceptance. Then declined for an Aqua with 95%.

Seems the banks own checkers are considerably better than the likes of MSE/ClearScore.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think I will take them as they come now.

They are a good idea and can help with a likely indication of acceptance. I think maybe a lot are supported by certain credit card companies? ......lol

I guess it’s always a risk of rejection however you apply. Even if you have a perfect credit file you just may not be the “type” of customer they are looking for at that moment in time?
  • Is there a common theme here that Barclaycard are pretty good for credit of you have most things in your favour but a few blemishes like many recent searches and open accounts? But can clearly make repayments and have no missed payments or defaults?
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I’m not sure what you are asking but I have one default from British Gas and also a 3-6month late payment marker from them too.

Apart from that my record is spotless.

Barclaycard do seem to be more flexible with offering credit once an established pattern of repayment.

It seems with credit card companies that what kind of customer they are looking for today is not necessarily the kind of customer they are looking for tomorrow....lol
  • I too find that eligibility checkers should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    After going onto the Barlaycard website to see what my chances are of getting a card, it said Yes! You can have this card. I proceeded with the application and it turned me down!
    If the checker said no, I wouldn't have been too bothered and would not have applied, but now I've got a hard credit search on my file and no credit card to show for it.
    I feel like I've been duped.:mad::mad:
  • Eligibility checkeers aren't gauranteed - they only do soft searches to confirm addresses and such.

Then when you proceed with the application it performs a hard search that checks other things - current credit limits, utilisation, existing debts etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure