Redundancy Consultation

So i am currently in the redundancy process and this has never happened to me before. I work for DHL and although they have informed me that I can apply for other roles nothing has been offered.
I have worked continuously since I left school at 17 and I am now 43, i would love to take a break for a couple of months whilst i gather my life and seek a new challenge, what have other people done following their redundancies?
Is there any advice for someone who is new to all of this? Mistakes i could easily make, questions I might not ask, etc.
Thanks so much.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How much are you likely to get?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are they making everyone redundant or just a selection e.g. 5 out of 20?
    If it's only some people then ask if they are accepting voluntary and what it the package. My exmployer offered a months income plus people got their bonus tax free, so there was an incentive to volunteer.

Are you alright financially?
    Is there somewhere you've always wanted to go but is difficult when working e.g. australia?

I'd concentrate on the redundancy first of all, but perhaps consider a gap if you can afford it.

Do you have representatives?
    Do you get an annual bonus?
    One question is what's happening to that.

Are they paying statuory or full pay?

I have a break for a few months and would highly recommend it especially if you feel you've lost your enthusiasm.
    Don't book up loads initially as it's not uncommon to be ill initally which I'd put down to release of stress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure