Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just out of interest, I thought I'd see what the bandits are charging for oil this week, now that the cold spell has passed. It turns out that neither Boilerjuice nor Homefuelsdirect are offering quotes at the moment for my area (Kent) because of high demand.

I can wait until they need to compete again.
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Paid 47.67ppl inc vat for 1000 litres when the snow was at it's worst. They couldn't get through for 3 days though, due to the snow.
    That was a good 3 or 4 ppl cheaper than I could get it from anywhere else, including via local buying groups.
    Some of the sites were even more expensive if you wanted it within a couple of days.
    If you're in Central Scotland, Bilsland is worth a call for a quote, 3 tankfuls now, they've been cheapest for us each time.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Prices vary hugely at present.

Cheapest today (midlands) was 47.23 from https://theheatingoilclub.co.uk/

Most expensive was 59.89 from https://www.boilerjuice.com/

with various prices in between
  • A._Badger
    Received an email marketing shot from Boiler Juice today, suggesting oil is about to increase in price.

My first reaction was: 'that means it's about to go down'. My second reaction was: 'that means it's about to go down'.

But is it? Anyone got an informed opinion?
  • fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A useful reference for pricing:
    http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50
  • G_M
    edited 14 July 2018 at 4:55PM
    fyr wrote: »
    A useful reference for pricing:
    http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50
    There are dozens of online companies, re-sellers, clubs which give instant pricing.

More interestingly, my own club commented yesterday on current price trends as follows:
    The price of crude dropped by over $4 a barrel this week as Libya re-opens 4 ports to oil exports, increasing supply and surprising the markets.

In grouping this week's orders we ...have secured a rate, and our club's group oil order terms for this weekend are as follows:

Rate: £0.4795 (pence per litre excluding vat [5% for Domestic use]. There are no surcharges or admin fees)
    so I'm hanging on for further drops.......
  • A._Badger
    I'm getting a little suspicious about these 'oil clubs' - mine used almost identical wording in their Saturday morning epistle. Could it be that they take their lead from oil companies? I wouldn't be at alll susprised.

What seems to have happened is that prices took a real and unexpected tumble. In response, Boilerjuice had the barefaced cheek to describe that as 'volatility' and suggest customers buy now. Said local oil club wasn't much less brazen, having also advised the same 'buy now' policy the week before! A 'sorry, we got it wrong' would have been more appropriate.

I, too, am hanging on.
  • G_M
    You're right A.Badger. I have never, never, seen an oil company, buying club, or commercial group buying company (eg boilerjuice etc) recommend 'Wait and buy later'.

Another suspicion about buying clubs - don't assume because of their blurb (local group buying power, no admin costs etc etc) that they are cheaper than ordering direct.

Don't assume anything. Always compare & always haggle - it's the only way to get the best price.

A largish local club to me is run by an individual. It transpires he gets free oil from some companies for directing group orders to them. I've only once ordered via them as I've always been able to beat his price by ringing round myself.

'Annoying' does not cover it.
  • Originally posted this a few days ago by error over on the LPG thread so apologies if anyone has read this and it seems familiar!

Went to do my usual annual Summer order of oil to be quoted by Boilerjuice a horrific 48.95p/l.

I don't know whether to buy a minimal 500 litres and get the rest later if it comes down in price or bite the bullet, ring round Lincolnshire and beyond to try and get a few pennies off the whole 2000.

Disappointing.

Last year I paid £660 to fill the tank. Now I'm looking at £1030.
  • A._Badger
    Boilerjuice's prices can almost always be beaten. Homefuelsdirect is usually cheaper, to name just one. Also watch Boilerjuice's sneaky 'admin charge'.

The government makes it illegal to charge extra if a customer pays by credit card, so Boilerjuice calls it an admin fee!

I'm resigned to the fact that the Pound being deliberately talked down by Carney and the oil companies knowing they can get away with it means we're unlikely to do better than about 47p per litre at the moment, so when I can get it down to that, I will reluctantly place an order. Almost certainly it won't be with Boilerjuice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback