Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Home Insurance Discussion
    • 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    Home Insurance Discussion 17th Jun 08 at 11:35 AM

This discussion relates to the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

If you've reduced the amount of your home insurance with cashback please report your success to encourage others
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 25-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Page 33
    • maryhaggie
    • By maryhaggie 11th Oct 19, 9:25 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    maryhaggie
    Thank you for your reply, I assumed that since he did not own the building he would not be able to insure it, but I will check xx
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Oct 19, 11:18 PM
    • 8,774 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    eddddy
    I have always insured it with Aviva and they have never indicated that it was Landlord insurance, the renewal amount has increased again so I thought I would start to ring around but LV, with whom I have my own insurance said it would have to be landlord, and after a 20 minute phone call gave me a quote that was a lot higher than Aviva. I'm tempted just to renew with them but just thought I would ask if anyone has any info that would help many thanks
    Originally posted by maryhaggie
    You need to check that your Aviva policy covers you in your circumstances before renewing.

Aviva might say you need landlord insurance as well.

If your Aviva policy is meant for an owner/occupier, they are likely to find out when you claim that you're not an owner/occupier, and might refuse to pay the claim.
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 15th Oct 19, 7:39 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    oldwiring
    Is there an average value for which to insure contents of a three bed semi with two occupants? We are located on southwestern edge of southeast region. I am well through my detailed check, and no way do I think my figures are close to what are some suggestions. I am trying to use as new values, but finding equivalents of the same quality for 50 year old items is far from easy. For instance working on a maker's name may not be a good guide.

Perhaps more than doubling the calculated amount is the thing to do?

Are there insurers which have ditched averaging from buildings and contents cover and payout to the insured amount in cases where there is no bad faith of the customer?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Oct 19, 7:54 PM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 19,936 Thanks
    Doc N
    Is there an average value for which to insure contents of a three bed semi with two occupants? We are located on southwestern edge of southeast region. I am well through my detailed check, and no way do I think my figures are close to what are some suggestions. I am trying to use as new values, but finding equivalents of the same quality for 50 year old items is far from easy. For instance working on a maker's name may not be a good guide.

Perhaps more than doubling the calculated amount is the thing to do?

Are there insurers which have ditched averaging from buildings and contents cover and payout to the insured amount in cases where there is no bad faith of the customer?
    Originally posted by oldwiring
    It's impossible to generalise, I'm afraid, because every house is entirely different in what it contains by way of contents.

The temptation is ti think that an old chair, for example, worth maybe £25 secondhand, should be valued at £25 - you've already spotted that that's not right, and will lead to averaging though. The correct replacement figure might well be £1000 - who knows?

If you have a lot of old stuff worth apparently next to nothing, the actual replacement cost could be enormous.

Have you considered one of the policies (quite a few) offering unlimited contents cover? They needn't be too expensive, and save a very great deal of time and thought - possibly a lot of money too should there be a claim.
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 15th Oct 19, 9:13 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    oldwiring
    I'm drudging on with it- misspel intended. Ye old items are a devil as much is not made in same style or quality today. Everyday clothing you have to take a guessed average there's so much.

Then there are inherited things from the 30s like cut glass etc. What is is and its value I've no clue, and figurines. I could try to sell, if I knew more about it. Get a valuer in maybe for things like that!?

Anyways with my best efforts almost to the end I'm not close to the contents cover limite of £50K. Perhaps we are unusually frugal.
    • Georg1o
    • By Georg1o 16th Oct 19, 6:53 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Georg1o
    People are fooled by the cheap services and products. They think always about saving money but this brings them to a low quality. Remember one thing about services: if you don't bring big money for the company that provides them, they won't care so much about you.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 27th Nov 19, 11:46 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    GT60
    Just done a quote online with compare the market and a company called Policy Expert came out on top then the Halifax £12 more.

Who is Policy expert and should i use them?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 27th Nov 19, 11:56 AM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    sal_III
    Just done a quote online with compare the market and a company called Policy Expert came out on top then the Halifax £12 more.

Who is Policy expert and should i use them?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by GT60
    Don't only look at price, look at terms as well.

For what is worth Policy Expert has excellent reviews/rating on Trust Pilot.
    • Howard54
    • By Howard54 6th Dec 19, 9:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Howard54
    how do you compare like for like
    Hi I have been using comparison websites to look for the best buildings & contents cover - they readily show you the best deals based on price but how do you compare like for like? Once you go deeper than just the price, excess, basic cover numbers £, then look what is covered and what is not? For example, I spotted one excludes cover for blocked sewage pipes and on others (including my current policy) I cannot even find if this or isn't covered! It seems I have no real way of detailed like for like comparisons - it all seems a guess in the dark - possibly until you come to claim and possibly find you're not covered. One actually said 'storm damage' was only covered if you can prove there were winds in excess of 57 mph - so what happens if you just get a leaking roof from tiles coming off in 50 mph winds? This is a nightmare and seems ridiculous to have to buy insurance blindfold!!!!!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 6th Dec 19, 11:01 AM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 19,936 Thanks
    Doc N
    Hi I have been using comparison websites to look for the best buildings & contents cover - they readily show you the best deals based on price but how do you compare like for like? Once you go deeper than just the price, excess, basic cover numbers £, then look what is covered and what is not? For example, I spotted one excludes cover for blocked sewage pipes and on others (including my current policy) I cannot even find if this or isn't covered! It seems I have no real way of detailed like for like comparisons - it all seems a guess in the dark - possibly until you come to claim and possibly find you're not covered. One actually said 'storm damage' was only covered if you can prove there were winds in excess of 57 mph - so what happens if you just get a leaking roof from tiles coming off in 50 mph winds? This is a nightmare and seems ridiculous to have to buy insurance blindfold!!!!!
    Originally posted by Howard54
    This is the problem with price comparison websites. They look only at price and you have to look carefully at the cover provided by each policy to be sure that youíre getting the cover you want/need.

Itís actually worse than that, because well known companies frequently strip cover out of their main policies just to get the price down and boost their position in the tables.

Personally, I use them only as a guide to whether what Iím paying is reasonable, and if it isnít Iíll use the information as a haggling tool. I always look for a 4 or 5 star Defaqto rating, ideally the latter, and a company with a reputation to defend should there be a disagreement. I still check the actual cover, but this approach narrows the field.

At the moment weíre with John Lewis. Itís a pricey product, but itís pretty comprehensive, and I was really impressed recently when they paid a claim that, strictly speaking, wasnít covered because it hadnít been put through them from the outset. Most insurers would quite justifiably have rejected the claim, but they took a commonsense and helpful approach.

Price isnít everything. This sort of insurance is particularly important, and particularly varied in its cover. Iíd rather have a policy which will pay out than save a few pounds to buy one that wonít.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,228Posts Today

5,932Users online

Martin's Twitter