Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Oct 03, 5:26 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area
    • 4th Oct 03, 5:26 PM
    Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area 4th Oct 03 at 5:26 PM

This is the area for questions, feedback and discussion about the four step solution to cutting your car insurance costs. For the article containing this system click here.

If you are providing feedback. It would be very helpful to hear the results of each of the steps. As this is a new system all feedback is greatly appreciated.

My fingers are crossed that it saves you some money though.

Martin

Report your Car Insurance successes here
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 23-01-2007 at 7:50 PM.
Page 34
    • cirian75
    • By cirian75 27th May 11, 1:40 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    cirian75
    did a quote for the ole 306, about 40 less than the colt, still above the 500 and nearly 200 more than 09's cost
    • Leeoss
    • By Leeoss 31st May 11, 8:18 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Leeoss
    Insurance renewal sting..
    Hi all

Take Martin's advice and shop around when it's time for your car insurance renewal.. Having been a customer of Direct Line for over 5 years (with no claims) I received a standard renewal letter 'you donít need to do anything' - just accept our increase of 45% on your current policy!! - it literally has jumped from £433 to £677 with no explanation. I have managed to renew using Go Compare (suggested by Martin) and managed this for a similar price as last year with legal protection thrown in.. They rely on you being too busy to look around outrageous..
  • tigercat8
    Losing confidence with cashback sites
    Is it me or have companies now tightened their rules around cashback sites? I needed car insurance so I followed the links from the cashback site as suggested, got a 'new' quote, then on the last page the company gave me no link to buy this policy without ringing them first (thereby invalidating my claim to any cashback). It was apparently because I was an existing customer. I find more and more companies are doing this and it renders cashback sites virtually useless.
    • toontastic
    • By toontastic 6th Jun 11, 10:17 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    toontastic
    Can't you raise a query with the cashback company quoting your policy number. I've done that before with Quidco and got my payments fine.
  • robmath
    Tigercat Just pay your due amount and raise the query with the company by submitting your policy number. Simply you will enjoy the service.
    • Handeman
    • By Handeman 30th Jan 12, 6:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Handeman
    Hi, has anyone else found that a quote via a Cashback site sometimes gives a higher premium than the same cover via a comparison site? I followed MSE's steps and got a decent quote from Churchill via GoCompare for £170. I then tried Quidco, offering £50 cashback, and the Churchill quote was £200. I've checked the details on both quotes but I can't find any difference except the price.
    • sebandie
    • By sebandie 29th Feb 12, 6:38 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sebandie
    Have tried all compare sites for my lad who is nearly 21 with two years no claims cheepest £687
    Had a go with direct line who are not part of any compare sites and they wanted £890
    Tried coverbox which you have a black box fitted £1,189
  • graeme44
    I need help with car insurance please
    Can someone please help me, i had full no claims upto 5yrs ago when i went onto a block insurance (black cab). I have just bought a car to run around in, the fist insurance company i rang said because ive been using block insurance mine has now expired and i have to start all over again is this true? Im 44 and drove all my life i dont fancy having to start all over again with no ncd...Help please...
  • skippy4lk
    A word of warning when renewing or taking out a new policy online, always ring the insurer/broker concerned and ask "What is your admin fee for amending the policy eg. change af address or change of car".
    You will be amazed at the variation in admin costs ranging from very low to the ridiculous £55 charged by One Call
  • timjuk
    Car insurance
    AA car insurance is cheap for me £200 a year

for you who have family already and feel that your insurance cost is high if compared to the coverage, maybe you need to check these tips (thecheapcarinsurances.com/to-obtain-low-cost-auto-insurance-for-your-family/) to reduce your cost.
    if any feedback, please dont hesitate.
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 20th Nov 12, 8:45 AM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    for you who have family already and feel that your insurance cost is high if compared to the coverage, maybe you need to check these tips (thecheapcarinsurances.com/to-obtain-low-cost-auto-insurance-for-your-family/) to reduce your cost.
    if any feedback, please don't hesitate.
    Originally posted by kinannisa
    This is a lovely example of why newbies are not allowed to post links.

As there have been fraudsters on here, I would be suspicious of a web site with very little track record that is hosted from USA. The use of "auto" in the link is a bit of a give away, so is the information about the "tires" on the auto.
    There is a classic example of such a site on here, which obviously tries to legally bully the administrators of this forum.
    http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/result.php
    http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.TheCheapCarInsurances.com
    http://www.dailychanges.com/thecheapcarinsurances.com/2012-05-31/
    http://www.privacyprotect.org/#contact_domain_owner
    I could go on and on.

As this obviously is a wonderful new opportunity (do they do irony in USA) can I suggest this new poster contacts our administration, who might keep the possibility on file for the next report on car insurance, not to mention the new European tyre laws?
    Last edited by John_Pierpoint; 20-11-2012 at 9:21 AM.
    • pickup01
    • By pickup01 8th Apr 14, 7:49 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pickup01
    Hastings Direct - renewal quote cut by nearly 60%
    Received my renewal notice from Hastings Direct - premium £545. Had a quick look on comparison sites and spotted quote from Hastings Direct at £262.
    Phoned Hastings Direct and told them that I would not renew unless they could get my renewal quote down.
    Result - premium reduced to £235 - same cover, same extras, same excess.

Don't need to tell anyone what the lesson is here.....
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 8th Apr 14, 8:46 PM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 7,114 Thanks
    Gaz83
    Logged onto Aviva there to check our renewal figure (due for renewal on 1st May). Figure they've quoted is £993! That'll be shining bright. That's based on insuring a 10 year-old Peugeot 206 SW worth £1,800 and a 9 year-old Citroen Xsara Picasso worth £1,900. They can jog on!

Just jumped onto Compare The Market there for a couple of quotes. Quoted £193 to insure the Citroen with my wife as the main driver and I as a named driver, and £186 to insure the Peugeot with myself as the main driver and my wife as a named driver with Swift Cover. So I'll definitely not be renewing with Aviva!

A quick question, though. At the start of the year I became embroiled in an utter farcical situation in which my elderly neighbour accused me of reversing out of my drive into his car. He alerted me to this seven weeks after the alleged incident and had no proof, plus his story had wildly conflicting versions of events. I kept my insurance company notified of this in case the old boy tried to take it further, and he eventually reported it to my insurance company (although not his own), and was laughed out of town. Would I need to declare this to a new insurance provider, despite the fact it never got past the point where he made an allegation?
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Aviva company representative
    Logged onto Aviva there to check our renewal figure (due for renewal on 1st May). Figure they've quoted is £993! That'll be shining bright. That's based on insuring a 10 year-old Peugeot 206 SW worth £1,800 and a 9 year-old Citroen Xsara Picasso worth £1,900. They can jog on!

Just jumped onto Compare The Market there for a couple of quotes. Quoted £193 to insure the Citroen with my wife as the main driver and I as a named driver, and £186 to insure the Peugeot with myself as the main driver and my wife as a named driver with Swift Cover. So I'll definitely not be renewing with Aviva!

A quick question, though. At the start of the year I became embroiled in an utter farcical situation in which my elderly neighbour accused me of reversing out of my drive into his car. He alerted me to this seven weeks after the alleged incident and had no proof, plus his story had wildly conflicting versions of events. I kept my insurance company notified of this in case the old boy tried to take it further, and he eventually reported it to my insurance company (although not his own), and was laughed out of town. Would I need to declare this to a new insurance provider, despite the fact it never got past the point where he made an allegation?
    Originally posted by Gaz83
    Hi Gaz83

Thanks for your post,

I'm sorry to hear our price isn't competitive for you this year. If you'd like me to check through your renewal details to ensure everything is correct and give you advice on the accident, please email the following details to social@aviva.co.uk:

Full name
    Date of birth
    Postcode
    Policy number
    Money Saving Expert username

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards

Stephanie
    Aviva Social Media Team
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Aviva. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Dantheman3010
    'My policy' insurance quote, any good?
    Hi everyone, I've just got a quote on here and the best quote was from a company called 'my policy' and I'm just wondering if anybody has had any experience with then and are they any good/logit?
    Thanks in ahead, dan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

2,042Users online

Martin's Twitter