Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Oct 03, 5:26 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area
    • 4th Oct 03, 5:26 PM
    Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area 4th Oct 03 at 5:26 PM

This is the area for questions, feedback and discussion about the four step solution to cutting your car insurance costs. For the article containing this system click here.

If you are providing feedback. It would be very helpful to hear the results of each of the steps. As this is a new system all feedback is greatly appreciated.

My fingers are crossed that it saves you some money though.

Martin

Report your Car Insurance successes here
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 23-01-2007 at 7:50 PM.
Page 3
  • celticmos
    Re: Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion A
    Another guaranteed money saver!

As I was insuring three people, it did take me about an hour to complete the confused.com questionnaire but once completed their service to be quick and efficient.

I have saved 81 on my annual premium, and have remained with the same insurange group. I also have gained a couple of extras for which I was not covered on my original policy.

Thanks again, Martin
  • telfordrocks
    Hi there!

I was about to give up with looking for car insurance when Tesco's quoted me 602.70 FC for a K plated Renault 19!

My main problem is that I am 24 and have not had a policy for a while but still have my 2 years NCD. My partner is 24 as well and we have had on non-fault accident

Until I remembered to read this site!

so.....

using insuresupermarket.com we saved 184.99!

I am amazed!

Cheers for the tips!
  • Lanla
    Just went through renewing my car insurance. My renewal quote from Churchill had increased yet again to 523.

I went to confused.com and the quotes ranged from 510 upwards. I wasn't too thrilled with that so kept looking at various other sites (from Martin's list - thanks ), most quotes were coming out at 510 and upwards. As a last resort I tried Tesco.com and was quoted 369 (same details as all the other quotes). They are doing 10% discount at the moment if you buy online.

I also rang Churchill to tell them I wouldn't be renewing my policy and when I told them the best quote I had was 369 they said that they couldn't match it. Didn't even bother trying - they did say that Churchill was reviewing their matching policy and it may change in the next few weeks or so - not sure how true that is.

Not sure why Tesco.com is so much cheaper at the moment but I'm glad I checked them out.

• johnk
    • By johnk 29th Jun 04, 2:08 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    johnk
    Not sure why Tesco.com is so much cheaper at the moment but I'm glad I checked them out.

Did you try Direct Line? I think Tesco and Direct Line use the same engine, and for all my quotations, Direct Line is cheaper.
  • craigm
    Could someone advise me on the "protected no claims scenario" for car insurance.

I have taken this out for the past 10yrs to basically protect me losing my no claims discount in the event of an accident.

However, I am now wondering if it is just a scam to get more money at my renewal. Fortunately I have had no accidents to test my theory! However if I had an accident over the last year, I would surely have to declare this - I can't believe that the insurer would not then impose a higher premium anyway, despite having no claims protection.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

• MA
    Thanks!! Used all your advice. The two compare websites did not come back with the cheapest, (probably cos of the car Z3 convertible and not being able to exactly find a match for my job being self employed) but shopping around, managed to reduce the insurance from 448.35 to 307.28 (with esure) including NCD protection. Would be interested to know as well if people thing that it is worth paying the NCD protection.
  • roadrash
    Hey!
    In used the website that is advised on here, but it wasnt the cheapest!
    Im 24 and have just brought a new MR2, which is pretty high risk, which is why I was suprised when I was quote all of 620!!! Bargain!! This was with elephant.com 8)

Considering some places were asking for over 2000!!! ;D

• garysletters
    Question about NCB after a claim.

I am the main driver of my car, my girlfriend is a named driver. This year, she had a prang. On renewal we will only have 3 years NCB.

However, when filling in forms, each driver hasd to declare any claims/accidents in the past few years.

I know I have to declare my girlfriends accident/claim, but do I have to declare the claim under my own name too, as I was the policy holder, despite it being my girlfriends accident???
    This makes it look like we've had 2 accidents???
  • archived user
    I insured my car so that my 20 year old son could drive.
    I was with Direct line, They quoted me about 780 comprehensive and recovery.
    I the went through the Credit Union that I belong to. Norwich Union insured my car for the same package for about 480. Join your credit union and save 300 on your car insurance.
    Credit unions are great for really low cost loans
    • abjem21
    • By abjem21 10th Jul 04, 1:50 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    abjem21
    Are there any multi car policies that would be worth looking at? We own four cars and a motorbike.[/quote]

It may be worth contacting an insurance broker and asking for a part time car trader policy. I had one a couple of years ago when I had three cars between my wife and myself. Basically you dont have to actually be a car trader, just willing to let a car go if you can get an offer of a profit on it (and who wouldn't). If asked why you haven't changed cars much you just state you are going through a thin patch !.The insurance document simply stated that the policyholder (and spouse) are insured to drive any vehicle whether owned by them or not for both trade and personal use. In my case this also included motorcycles ;D
    The comprehensive policy did have an own vehicle damage limit of 5k. Also hidden in the small print it stated I was only insured to drive american vehicles/ motorcycles/left hand drive vehicles for trade use only. (so if you crash or get stopped you were taking it for a customer to view) Curiously the only exclusions were road rollers and vehicles on tracks !. The REALLY nice thing about this policy was that no matter what I drove or why, I was allways covered, so if the police stopped me on the way home from an auction I wouldn't be breaking too many laws. Also it make getting tax discs a doddle.

This cover cost about the same as we had been paying for two seperate car policys so in that respect appeared to give good value. A word of warning though, If you do this you are putting all your eggs in one basket, and you cannot protect any no-claim discount on this type of policy. I had a bump (1500 damage my fault) and the policy went from 380 comprehensive to 1090 in one go :-/
    In effect I would have repaid the cost of my claim in the following three years which I felt at the time was a little harsh. I believe these policys are still available today. ;)
    • abjem21
    • By abjem21 10th Jul 04, 2:07 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    abjem21
    Incidentally we now have two cars and two motorbikes. Both cars are with tesco.com who gave us the best deal by over 130 on my wifes car and 50 on mine. After my bump we reviewed the level of risk and decided the trader type of policy wasn't for us.The bikes are at the moment both with carol nash, it is worth knowing that if you insure a motorcycle with carol nash, and if when you renew, you manage to get a cheaper quote, you should go back and tell them they will then waive the 20 handling fee they put on (but dont tell you about) their policy. Last time I couldn't beat the price they gave me, but I fibbed and said Footman James were 20 cheaper and hey presto Carol came through with a 20 discount.
    • COS
    • By COS 11th Jul 04, 3:31 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    I am pleasently surprised. I went to the site of which is on Martins best buys page to renew the car insurance, so expensive, I think he should omit this best buy as they seem to be ripping off people.

www.confused.com quoted 667.00

Another site quoted 350.00 and the AA who last year quoted me 570.00 have now quoted 351.00

So the AA it is or should I say Fortis has they are the company the AA have found, I have checked out Fortis before and in many cases could not be beaten.

On one occasion I did take insurance from CIS insurance of which is part of the COOP very cheap at the time and a promise of good care, the trouble I found with this company is that when the car got vandalised the garage refused to collect it as they were to busy so we took it to our own and did'nt receive a replacement car as promised. A great shame as the admin side was great and the assessor came out straight away once we informed CIS about the recovery service refusing to collect.

• Linzid
    OK you forced me into it! I have been reading the site and appreciating the tips and the chat for months but I never felt the need to register and contribute until I followed your advice on cutting car insurance and with the seach sites you recommended I saved over 400 on my car insurance renewal and I had to say thank you!

It wasn't even the cheapest quote I took (that had unacceptable excesses and restrictions). Compared to a renewal notice of 822. I took out insurance with Legal and General for 367 - only difference was a lower time limit on European cover but even assuming they charge something to increase it I'm still VERY happy - thank you very much indeed.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 12th Jul 04, 4:54 AM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Linzid,

Be careful posting can get addicted. Glad you saved.

COS - Linzid is proof it works for some. This is why I call it a strategy, from the feedback here and the e-mails i get for 90% of the people the system works. However with both car and home insurance there isn't a guaranteed method - glad you saved though

Martin
  • archived user
    I have just gone to confused.com for quotes for a Honda Civic SE Exec. Of 21 quotes 17 are less than I am paying now on a smaller car.

However - to find out the details of these quotes you have to phone an 0870 number.

How about this, Martin !!

>
  • Tuesnightspecial
    I thought I would use the Money Tips site properly for the first time. Mostly wanted an easy&cheap way of sorting car insurance.

In the end, I saved 200 over my renewal quote from Tesco.

However, I guess I could have done this with any site that searches multiple insurers. But "confused" was good enough. So thanks for the recommendation.

45 of my saving came from calling up after I got my quote. I wouldn't have bothered but the website wouldn't let me buy online! 30 additional saving was made because it was an online quote.

Adding Legal cover and recovery still made this the cheapest quote (and are things I had with Tesco) but they attracted discounts in themselves!!

There's no real formula to this - but I am certain of one thing after 2 years of buying insurance online (previously used the phone merry-go-round).

While buying online is convenient and hassle free, a phonecall is far more likely to attract extra discounts and promotions. I've even attracted online discounts on the phone simply by saying that the website crashed (which did happen to me the first time I used this excuse!!).

Thanks Martin. A combination of "confused" and good luck saved me some serious cash!
  • Archibald
    I have previously used confused & insuresupermarket for both my wife's and my policies and it has enabled me to get very competitive cover. However I am now trying to work out the best way to insure a 12 year old car for my daughter who is 18 with a full driving licence. I have the added option of registering the car in any of our names in case that was also a problem

I was using the tactic of insuring it with either my wife's or myself as the driver plus one named driver and getting some good quotes till of course I discovered that our respective ncd's could not be extended to a second car. So I am now back in the realms of 1000 + to cover a car whose value is 350!!

Any suggestions as to alternative approaches would be very welcome.

???
  • archived user
    get her to get an old 1 ltr or 1.1 car (like a micra). she may not like this but i cant see the point of being on your insurance. At least she will be building up her NCB.
    ive been on my dad insurance since i was 18 (im now 21) and insurance is still very high. if i had bit the bullet at the start and got a cheap car with cheap insurance i could have a great car by now.
    just make sure its a
    ...cheap car (under 1000) that is in good nick
    ...and that she gets TPFT
    this way if she dents or crashes the car (more likely in your first few years of driving) the car could just be written off (cheaper than having full insurance...thus claimin on it (losing NCB) insurance going up and theres normally a compulsary excess (min was 200)
    • pingu
    • By pingu 25th Jul 04, 12:16 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    pingu
    hi
    i used cofused.com and money supermarket last week(renewal date24/07) for NISSAN ALMERA TINO 3 MONTHS OLD

current insurer quote just over 600 (screen trader with churchill insurance)

confused.com came up with 482 upwards

i called four or five companies (more than, AA etc)

i called churchill direct and their quote was 446.25 which i nearly said yes but i thought i will try another company and called swinton their quote 420.12 i said can i call you back he said if i take it now he will try to get further discount and it was 399.60 which i accepted ;D

• edmundli
    hmmmm im a 20year old looking for a new car, whats been stopping me is the price of insurance. Looking to get a 2nd hand car around the 5grand mark with a low insurance group. But on my own name i keep getting figures of 1600+.
    So i decided to try it on my Dads name with his 5yrs no claims bonus, which brought it down to 850 which i thought was extremely reasonable. My dilemma now is that my dad drives a VW Sharon with insurance at 800 already even with full no claims. So if I get him to insure me then basically there will be no point cos i will get cheaper insurance and he will be paying more....

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Cheers!
    Ed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,715Posts Today

6,494Users online

Martin's Twitter