Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Oct 03, 5:26 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area
    • 4th Oct 03, 5:26 PM
    Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area 4th Oct 03 at 5:26 PM

This is the area for questions, feedback and discussion about the four step solution to cutting your car insurance costs. For the article containing this system click here.

If you are providing feedback. It would be very helpful to hear the results of each of the steps. As this is a new system all feedback is greatly appreciated.

My fingers are crossed that it saves you some money though.

Martin

Report your Car Insurance successes here
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 23-01-2007 at 7:50 PM.
Page 2
  • archived user
    Re: Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion A
    I got a great deal following the 4 step plan, and di dnot even have to use step 4 (haggle).

Current renewal quote 385 for a 2001 Renault Scenic 2.0L. I got a price back from "confused" web site 240 for exactly the same policy type, fully comp etc.. This was from Sainsbury Bank. Added to that i registered for a Nectar Card and got 1100 points thrown in! Added to that, i payed with my RBS Advanta card (another of Martins tips) so i pay for it intereset free.

Start to finish, about 30 minutes very productive time on the PC!
  • archived user
    Presently insured with Saga (AXA) = 470

Tesco quoted 392

Direct Choice (Equity Red Star) quoted 295 (thanks MSE) via confused. OK I double my excess to 300, but.....guess where I'm going? And only a month afer renewing with Saga! I wonder if they'll suddenly match it? Not holding my breath!

Incidentally insuresupermarket just offered me a blank page at the end of it all. Twice

• hansi
    • By hansi 13th Dec 03, 8:27 PM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    I have found what I think is an anomaly on the insuresupermarket website. I started filling in the details, but when it asked for the main driver which would be my wife, it goes on to ask about a no claims bonus which of course she doesn't have as the policy is in my name and I have the NCB. Most of the other sites ask about NCB and ask who the main driver will be. How can I get around this? Surely it's about time these companies realised with husband and wife policies that the NCB should be joint.
  • archived user
    Have tried both sites repeatedly and can't get past the 'car model' drop down on insuresupermarket before it crashes and am getting a blank on confused.com after the new quote page.....aaargh!

Could it be because I am a Mac user?
    • hansi
    • By hansi 31st Dec 03, 8:11 AM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    Try putting an "s" after the http in the address. I did, and i worked
  • archived user
    Are there any multi car policies that would be worth looking at? We own four cars and a motorbike.
  • maskint
    A big thank you from a chuffed money saver.
    Used both sites for a quote - i drive a 4 yr old toyota Rav 4, do just under 30,000 miles per annum, and have 6 recently expired points on my licence (although they are 3 yrs old - insureres could them for 5??)
    My previous insurer quoted 733 for renewal (Toyota policy)
    Using Confused - the cheapest quote was 380, but the excess was too much (150 compulsory and 150 voluntary)
    I asked if they could play around and get it down to a total of 150, but still protected, and they did - for an increase of 8 per year!

So i've saved over 300, and am well pleased!!
  • Seesaw
    Used confused.com who quoted 321 with Diamond. Did my own quote with Elephant which came back with 360. However they phoned the next day and offered cover at 311 !

By the way the quote from my original insurers was 460 ! Shame I didn't do this years ago...

Does anyone have experience of elephant ?
  • archived user
    The Guardian Jobs and Money did an insurance comaparison last year in which Churchill came out on top.

I was with Budget until they wanted to increase my policy by 120 when I moved house (strangely from a very rough neighbourhood to a very secure one).

Churchill offered me 140 discount on my previous Budget policy, effectively I saved a massive 260 by switching.

With my husband's insurance they suggested I take out a second policy for his car in my name with him as a named driver and it was half the price they quoted originally for it in his name.
  • laminki
    in praise of Martin (and Churchill)
    I read the article and went to insuresupermarket.com (and confused.com who were 300 off the mark!)

insuresupermarket.com quoted screentrade.com who were offering the cheapest policy through churchill. churchill couldn't do it any cheaper directly so I got the churchill policy through screentrade.

Thanks Martin (again!!)
  • archived user
    This is the area for questions, feedback and discussion about the four step solution to cutting your car insurance costs. ! For the article containing this system click here.

If you are providing feedback. !It would be very helpful to hear the results of each of the steps. !As this is a new system all feedback is greatly appreciated.

My fingers are crossed that it saves you some money though.

Martin
  • archived user
    Thanks to the tips I just saved over 100 on my car insurance. Previous Insurance was Direct Line and Halifax saved me the cash.

Direct Line sem to charge a lot for their No claims Discount protection.

Thanks again.
    • robnye
    • By robnye 14th Apr 04, 7:14 PM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    direct line also reduce your insurance premiums by 10% for the first year only.

I found my renewal notice for insurance went up by 15 per month, due to the lack of the 10% reduction, when i compared with other companies I found they bettered even direct lines previous years premium.

I will check the web search sites again this year.... ;-)
  • sarah_25
    Hello,

I've just saved 33 on my car insurance by following your advice. I got the quotes, then went back to my original insurers (they quoted me 176 at the beginning of the week in a letter). In the end I've got fully comp for 143 with them. Thanks for the great advice.
  • archived user
    Dear Martin,

Thanks! your system saved us 400 pounds as we had to insure two cars. Renewal was not an option. Our old provider, Direct Line, could not match the quote when we tried to haggle them into it!

Well done.
  • Spikey
    my renewal was 635 and all my searches came up with at best 535.

However I had put my details on www.bid4mybusiness.co.uk and a firm has quoted me 432.

what a difference.

Spikey
  • GraniteMum
    New quote for my bike insurance - 165 fully comp for 600 Divi. I was happy with that but having read the advice, I went to the broker's website and got it for 115 - a saving of 50 bar a few pennies! Wish I had thought of it before now.
    • libra10
    • By libra10 8th May 04, 9:42 PM
    • 12,546 Posts
    • 308,787 Thanks
    libra10
    We transferred fully comp. insurance of husband's present car to new one, including full no-claims discount, with Privilege insurance. Deciding he also wanted to keep the old car and insure it third party, fire & theft, he discovered he had to start afresh with no no-claims discount allowable.
    Privilege quoted 368 for 1991 J reg. car 3rd party, F & T. We tried Insurance Supermarket, as per Martin's article, and the cheapest was Churchill at a similar price to Privilege. The dearest around 735, but most insurers wouldn't quote if you hadn't any years no-claims. Confused.com wasn't working.
    More>Than are quoting 297, which looks about the cheapest so far.
    But surely this highlights an anomaly (rip off) in the insurance system?
    He has been driving for over 40 years, and in that time never claimed for an accident. Shouldn't his no claims discount also allow for a second car? After all, he can't drive both cars at the same time!
  • archived user
    Cheers Martin,

The best quote for my C3 I had was 328, I checked out confused.com and it came back with 258.07 as the cheapest. What a saving! The one I finally went for had even quoted me 395 when I phoned them up myself, it just goes to show the power of the internet.....

Cheers.
  • Aark
    While I hadn't read this guide when I was looking for car insurance in late-March/early-April, I did use confused.com and was aware of several of the other tips etc.

Specifically, confused.com returned a lower quote from my existing insurer at the time (Norwich Union Direct) than my renewal premium. When I phoned NUD to query this they told me the following:-

1.) The lower quote includes an introductory discount which I got the benefit of in the previous year.

2.) The internet quote also recognised that I already had motor insurance with NUD (the policy I was looking to renew) and therefore, bizarrely, gave me a Multiple-Policy Discount (as I think they called it). This despite the fact that I was clearly getting a quote for the same car as the existing policy. !

3.) They assured me when asked that I could not possibly get away with just taking the quote given on the internet as (1) and (2) were not actually applicable to my circumstances.

Which brings me back to the article which suggests people should take a "new customer" quote from their existing "renewal" insurer. Can someone confirm if this is correct and legal? I suspect it must be as long as you gave the insurer correct details - the incorrect assumptions made by the insurer can't be the buyer's responsibilty, surely? !

???

In my case, More Than provided a cheaper quote than anyone else anyway. This post is just out of curiosity more than anything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

861Posts Today

6,648Users online

Martin's Twitter