Travel Insurance - No cover for anything directly or indirectly related????

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 November 2019 at 8:15PM in Insurance & life assurance
I declared some pre existing medical condition to my insurer after taking out my policy.

They told me the stuff I declared would not be covered but anything would. They said anything directly or indirectly related to pre existing medication conditions or procedures will not be covered... this means what?

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,069
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Does it not mean that if you forgot to mention you had stomach ulcers for instance,any gastric problems encounted on holiday would not be covered,if you tripped and broke your arm it would be.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,424
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you've have a medical condition then develop a different one, if it can be linked back at all to the original one then it won't be covered. Because some medical conditions give you a higher predisposition towards developing others.
    So if you have asthma and you get a chest infection, that would not be covered.
    If you have osteopathis, fall and break a bone, that wouldn't be covered even though the fall was an accident.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • So if I have for example, nasal polyp removal and rhinitis - I would not be covered for things like ear infections?

Or for example, 'Pulled Muscle in torso'. I can claim on what?

They were also interested in when I cut my leg and received a tetanus jab. So what if I injure my leg in any way i'm not covered?
  • elsien
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2019 at 7:27PM
    No one can give you a definitive answer.
    It will be a decision the insurer would make at the time depending on the individual circumstances, the medical reports and your past history.
    It would then be up to you to challenge the decision if you disagreed.

So if you've got a history of DVTs I wouldn't be risking a trip to the USA with any exclusions relating to that.
    A long weekend to France with a pulled leg muscle would be less risky for you if it wasn't covered.
    It's all in the detail. Personally I'd be weighing up the cost of the £150 you've saved vs the cost of the holiday, and the cost of repatriation if it all goes pear-shaped.

ETA, there's also little point directing us to a previous thread when you've deleted most of it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• I guess I'll just have to take extra care until the policy expires.

So essentially I'm covered for everything not ENT related or groin area related.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do insurers cover pre exisiting conditions I wonder? If someone had a heart attack, it would make them almost impossible to insure, as the heart is indirectly related to everything
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • elsien
    Forumite
    Yes they do, at a price.
    Uncle spent weeks in a foreign intensive care unit then was repatriated home and the insurer covered the cost. He had Parkinson's and a variety of other ailments.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure