HELP Hubby has lost my car NCD by handling both policies in his name

At some point after we were married 10 years ago, hubby decided he would handle the car insurance renewals because he was 'so careful' about the technical details, while I has always looked at value for money and cashback sites. It has transpired at our latest renewal that having moved both policies into his name over a number of years, I no longer have any NCD. Despite having no accidents or claims in all that time.
He asked for a quote for me to be policy holder on the car I drive every day, but the price was astronomical, because they wont take my clean record into account.
He said he made the assumption that because at one point it was a multi car policy, the NCD would not be affected.
HELP - Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Thanks
Dancing Queen

:A

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,757
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Some companies will give you NCB if you have been a named driver on a policy so shop around
  • Thank I will look. It doesn't seem fair. I have always been a named driver, but they are not recognising that fact, or my clear history.
    Dancing Queen

:A
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Directline are one company who give discounts for named drivers, not sure if it is comparable to if you had a separate policy and had 1 years NCD. But every little helps
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,168
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It has transpired at our latest renewal that having moved both policies into his name over a number of years, I no longer have any NCD. Despite having no accidents or claims in all that time.

HELP - Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Thanks
    It was a while ago when I had to deal with this.

Whichever insurance firm it was were happy to transfer the policy and NCD into my wife's name after a year with them, i.e. on renewal. Have a chat with the customer service team of whichever company you are currently with and see what they can do.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,902
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    First, find an insurer who will appreciate your skill.
    Then keep husband at a thoughtful distance from your future insurance?

By all means consult on technical issues but you pay for your service & he pays for his - out of separate budgets.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,117
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Directline are one company who give discounts for named drivers, not sure if it is comparable to if you had a separate policy and had 1 years NCD. But every little helps

Please don't ensure with this shambles of a company, pay peanuts get Monkeys. When you or another party needs to claim you will really regret it.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    ^^^^^^^

Plus one - I'll never use Direct Line again having endured a poorly claim handled by them in the past.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,335
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had a claim with Direct Line earlier this year. They were brilliant.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2019 at 11:18AM
    You also have Winston Wolf fighting on your corner

Aviva I believe are the other company who you can get a named driver discount
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    caprikid1 wrote: »
    Please don't ensure with this shambles of a company, pay peanuts get Monkeys. When you or another party needs to claim you will really regret it.

My experience of a claim I made. with DL about 18 months ago was flawless and hassle free from claiming, to a replacement car, to them dealing with the repair.
    I've also found them efficient at changes to the policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure