BT offer of compensation for waiting 4 months for our service

Options
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and need your expertise, we ordered a phone line and internet on 5th July and finally had it fitted 6th `November we have had plenty of broken promises and we escalated our complaint, they closed our first complaint so we took it to resolver and the "executive complaints team" we now have the internet and a telephone however I have asked for compensation of £5 per day for 93 days £17 for calls from France whilst we were on holiday £50 compensation for coming home early from our holidays as we were told the situation was resolved but we need to check our line (it was not) and £100 for two lost days, we have been told the maximum they can pay is 60 days and £50 for our loss of holiday and our calls. If we do not take the offered compensation a deadlock letter is sent, has anyone experience of the Communication Ombudsman? Are they fair? or should we accept BT offer of £312 any advice greatlyy received

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Were you charged at all for the period 5th July to 6th of November?
  • SOUTHALL58
    Options
    No we were not charged as there was no service as there was no telegraph pole
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Personal opinion you should quantify your losses and decide or engage a compo lawyer.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would take the £312, while it's still on the table and move on. I don't know what the T&C you signed for are, but unless there some specific provisions for compensation due to delay, most of your demands are unreasonable and I don't see them flying in court. The BT offer seems like a good will gesture, that can easily evaporate if you take them to court.

£5/day is £150/month, how did you arrive at this number? You could have taken a PAYG 3/4G dungle for about £30-40/month as a replacement service, so I fail to see how a court could award you damages of £5/day.

How did you incur £17 call charges from France, when roaming is free in the EU? Did you use a landline, instead of your UK mobile to call BT?

You didn't have to cut your holiday short to go back and test the service. You choose to do it, how is it BT's fault that you made this choice? Also £50 for interrupted holiday in France doesn't seem remotely enough and only look like you are trying it on.

All in all, id doubt that you will be able to cover solicitors fees alone even if you manage to get the full asking compensation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    I would take the £312, while it's still on the table and move on. I don't know what the T&C you signed for are, but unless there some specific provisions for compensation due to delay, most of your demands are unreasonable and I don't see them flying in court. The BT offer seems like a good will gesture, that can easily evaporate if you take them to court.

£5/day is £150/month, how did you arrive at this number? You could have taken a PAYG 3/4G dungle for about £30-40/month as a replacement service, so I fail to see how a court could award you damages of £5/day.

How did you incur £17 call charges from France, when roaming is free in the EU? Did you use a landline, instead of your UK mobile to call BT?

You didn't have to cut your holiday short to go back and test the service. You choose to do it, how is it BT's fault that you made this choice? Also £50 for interrupted holiday in France doesn't seem remotely enough and only look like you are trying it on.

All in all, id doubt that you will be able to cover solicitors fees alone even if you manage to get the full asking compensation.

Presuming this thread is genuine (not a given at the moment on here) I'd say that was more than generous. Nobody forced them to phone from France either.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    The £5 per day is set by OFCOM
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure