Plusnet price increases

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 October 2019 at 5:25PM in Broadband & internet access
Plusnet are increasing their prices including telephone, talk anytime and broadband.

I have been happy with great technical support but now think I would like to look elsewhere. Cost is important and I am hoping some of you good folks here can recommend good service.

When I switched to Plusnet it was from BT because their customer and technical support was so poor - often on hold for 40 minutes or longer.

Any good experiences will be greatly appreciated. Will be so sorry to leave Plusnet but it is becoming too expensive for just basic broadband, telephone (landline) and call packages.

I use the calls 'inclusive' up to an hour quite often - but, on top of their other price increases, £1 increase per month is too much.

Thank you very much for any opinions.

Crimson

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I was with Plusnet and found them good, others will have very different opinions but can only speak as I found

I switched to John Lewis, as it was on offer, and they are a Plus net re-badge, so same ISP but a tenner per month less for me

Now Tv are on offer athe moment, £18 all in for what you have, no experience of them and I would have gone there if offer was about when I was looking
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=2.110978181.168091068.1569237772-1221656847.1542717024
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Personally its BT for me on what i want and CS .

Based upon cost just pick the cheapest with usually poor CS .
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2019 at 1:33PM
    I have never had a problem with Plusnet (aside from two instances where it was beyond their control - a BT engineer inadvertently disconnected my line at the exchange once (I had internet but no phone), and one evening a few months ago where the entire company practically disappeared for an hour or so - no internet, phone, website or anything was available, presume they had a major power failure).

In fact my contract is up next month and I hope to get the same if not slightly better deal than I am on now. I pay £20 a month for 38Mbps internet and just pay for any calls, not that I make any but the bulk would be to my parents who are also on Plusnet and those calls are free anyway.

Plusnet page outlining the changes here:
    https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/2019-pricing-changes-existing
  • The Now offer sounds very good - I would be leaving Plusnet early to change and will need to think it over as there would be a financial penalty for leaving Plusnet.

Tfank you very much for these replies.

Crimson
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Check OFCOM rules re in contract increases /might be a penalty free way of cancelling .
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    14% price increase for Broadband only customers.
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Check OFCOM rules re in contract increases /might be a penalty free way of cancelling .

At the moment it is just the 'calls anytime package' being increased by £1 per month from December. The broadband is fixed and the line rental saver is not due to be renewed until January. Do you think that could still qualify for 'penalty free' cancelling?

It is such a shame because Plusnet's technical support and 'local' call centre staff are so good - just everything else seems to be less good now.

Crimson
  • Even if you're on a fixed price contract, presumably the increase in call costs is sufficient to allow you to leave early with no early termination cost?
  • Thank you anactuary - I would need to ask Plusnet. The Now 'deal' sounds really good. If I could leave Plusnet with no early termination cost it would be worth exploring.

I might be in a 'locked' situation because, in addition to a fixed term for Broadband, I have paid line rental in advance (line rental saver) at a slightly more favourable rate than paying monthly, and this is not due for renewal until January.

Deleted_User
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2019 at 1:32PM
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2014/protection-for-consumers-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-rises

The £1 per month rise in monthly subscription price constitutes a change to agreed price at point of sale, and so Plusnet should let you leave your contract without penalties.

Update: See later messages posted below with regards to Line Rental Saver refunds. I would double check with Plusnet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure