Car tax

Hello... I wonder if anyone can help me, please?

In April this year I moved house. In all the stress of moving, I didn't realise my car tax was due to be renewed on the 1st May. I'd not received the reminder at that point...and it didn't go to my new address when I changed my details.
I received a letter from DVLA to say my car was untaxed, so I taxed it on 1st June, but there was no provision to pay the missing month of May, so on 3rd June I rang up the DVLA explaining what had happened and they said if I paid the money now it should be ok. They worked out the amount, which I paid straight away.
After a while I received a letter from DVLA saying I have to pay a fine because the car was untaxed for a month. I appealed the fine, and once again explained that this was a genuine oversight on my part and that I was not trying to evade tax, and that I don't even owe any tax because I paid the back tax as soon as I realised it was due, but they have written back to say I must pay the fine or go to court...
The fine represents a third of my total income... I'm really worried. :(
What do I do now...?
Thanks for listening....D45

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 September 2019 at 12:22PM
    Not a lot you can do, they have got you bang to rights. Yes you have paid the back tax owed but the fine is for having the vehicle untaxed in the first place. If it goes to court you will lose and risk up to a £1000 fine.
  • I think the solid advice that has been given by molerat is correct Dakota but it might be worth ringing them up and seeing if they will reconsider. It is worth a try. Good luck.

Fingers crossed for you.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Many thanks... My £300 per month pension will be stretched to its limit... bread & water for me, then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure