Car Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• Using the online supermarket search quotes is all well & good, but how can I easily factor in multi-car quotes?

thanks

Topher Bear
  • There was one company in particular that was alway at the top of the list when I searched for mine, can't remember what one it was now but when clicking the link to take me to buy the insurance it was a much higher price than what it had said originally. I don't think much of those comparison sites.

Anyone who has a web site and uses Trade Doubler will know that if you have an insurance advert on your site and someone buys insurance through that ad then you get paid between £60 and £100 from said company, I wonder who pays for that in the long run :rolleyes:
  • Like martin says, don't let the comparrison sites get the referal money. If you go through cashbach sites like quidco you'll get that money.
    Deacon: I'm sure I've heard my folks say they swap the insurance on their car between them every year to keep their no claims bonuses valid but they may stay valid for longer than that, im not sure!
  • Many companies allow a named driver on someone else's policy to gain no claims bonuses. I am a named driver on my wife's policy and her premium is cheaper than if she was the only driver, which is a bit odd. She is a named driver on mine and it's a little bit dearer than if she wasn't.
    For anyone wondering why we bother being named drivers on each other's policies when we both have fully comp insurance then it's because unless you do that, you are only covered to drive someone else's vehicle as third party insurance, not fully comp.
    Many people are aware of this but equally as many are not. I wasn't and found out the hard way
  • klint
    klint Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Like martin says, don't let the comparrison sites get the referal money. If you go through cashbach sites like quidco you'll get that money.

I've always wondered about that: if you use a screen scraper site that finds you a good deal from company X, and then you go to X's website through a cashback site and attempt another quote, won't company X realise you've already requested a quotation so why are you entering the same details again? Would they give the commission to your cashback site even though they know it was another site that got your quotation first?
  • On the subject of comparison sites, I wondered what your experiences had been like. I know Martin has his faves but I just think that some of them are slightly misleading and hard to compare quotes on anything but price. I like go compare's 5 star system and Tesco lets you compare (four?) policies but is there anyone out there who swears by one aggregator or do we all use a mixture of a few?

My faves:

1 Go compare
    2 Tesco
    3 Confused
    4 Compare the Market
    5 Moneysupermarket
  • gfrdl
    gfrdl Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Deacon - I stopped driving for a while and was advised by my insurer that my previously gained no claims bonus "lasted" for 2 years before it was totally lost
  • sparvar
    sparvar Posts: 222 Forumite
    MoneySupermarket all the way!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    I got my quote today. £800 and I am well pleased, was expecting £1,000+

Male, 23, one accident, honda civic.

Not the best combination in the world, but it isn't a fancy type-r anymore so that saves a heeeeeeell of a lot!
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Maybe in the wrong thread here but please redirect me.
    Buying a new car for my wife and offered gap insurance. 3 years for £387 seems expensive. Is there any point and is there a cheaper way?
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport