Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 22nd Nov 07, 11:05 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Car Insurance Article Discussion
    • 22nd Nov 07, 11:05 AM
    Car Insurance Article Discussion 22nd Nov 07 at 11:05 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the car insurance and car insurance tricks articles.

A new discussion has been started as the article now includes the best order to check comparison sites. To see the previous discussion read this.

To reply or discuss the article click reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 21-03-2011 at 3:31 PM.
Page 2
    • klint
    • By klint 10th Jan 08, 10:41 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    klint
    I wondered if anyone else has had any good/bad experiences with specific companies? It would be good to know who to avoid and who to take seriously in the future!!
    Originally posted by pigworm
    Privilege Insurance had lost my immobiliser installation certificate and wrote saying that, because they didn't have my certficate, they would not provide cover in case of theft. I replied with a serious (but polite) complaint, and eventually they found my certificate, and just sent it back to me without any form of apology. I was not impressed.

However, I would warn against taking too much notice of individual cases like this. It is too easy for someone to relate their bad experiences on an Internet forum. There could be 99.9% satisfied customers but it's usually the dissatisfied ones that make the most noise. You should try to find customer surveys with a statistically significant sample. Unfortunately, I doubt such things exist, so we have to fall back on individual stories.
  • Topher Bear
    Multi-car Quotes
    Using the online supermarket search quotes is all well & good, but how can I easily factor in multi-car quotes?

thanks

Topher Bear
    • Ialwaysgetdone
    • By Ialwaysgetdone 13th Jan 08, 11:09 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Ialwaysgetdone
    There was one company in particular that was alway at the top of the list when I searched for mine, can't remember what one it was now but when clicking the link to take me to buy the insurance it was a much higher price than what it had said originally. I don't think much of those comparison sites.

Anyone who has a web site and uses Trade Doubler will know that if you have an insurance advert on your site and someone buys insurance through that ad then you get paid between £60 and £100 from said company, I wonder who pays for that in the long run :rolleyes:
  • Noah'strolly
    Like martin says, don't let the comparrison sites get the referal money. If you go through cashbach sites like quidco you'll get that money.
    Deacon: I'm sure I've heard my folks say they swap the insurance on their car between them every year to keep their no claims bonuses valid but they may stay valid for longer than that, im not sure!
    • Ialwaysgetdone
    • By Ialwaysgetdone 15th Jan 08, 9:02 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Ialwaysgetdone
    Many companies allow a named driver on someone else's policy to gain no claims bonuses. I am a named driver on my wife's policy and her premium is cheaper than if she was the only driver, which is a bit odd. She is a named driver on mine and it's a little bit dearer than if she wasn't.
    For anyone wondering why we bother being named drivers on each other's policies when we both have fully comp insurance then it's because unless you do that, you are only covered to drive someone else's vehicle as third party insurance, not fully comp.
    Many people are aware of this but equally as many are not. I wasn't and found out the hard way
    • klint
    • By klint 15th Jan 08, 6:34 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    klint
    Like martin says, don't let the comparrison sites get the referal money. If you go through cashbach sites like quidco you'll get that money.
    Originally posted by Noah'strolly
    I've always wondered about that: if you use a screen scraper site that finds you a good deal from company X, and then you go to X's website through a cashback site and attempt another quote, won't company X realise you've already requested a quotation so why are you entering the same details again? Would they give the commission to your cashback site even though they know it was another site that got your quotation first?
  • pigworm
    Comparison sites
    On the subject of comparison sites, I wondered what your experiences had been like. I know Martin has his faves but I just think that some of them are slightly misleading and hard to compare quotes on anything but price. I like go compare's 5 star system and Tesco lets you compare (four?) policies but is there anyone out there who swears by one aggregator or do we all use a mixture of a few?

My faves:

1 Go compare
    2 Tesco
    3 Confused
    4 Compare the Market
    5 Moneysupermarket
    Last edited by pigworm; 16-01-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: grammar
    • gfrdl
    • By gfrdl 16th Jan 08, 11:20 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gfrdl
    Keeping No Claims Bonus
    Deacon - I stopped driving for a while and was advised by my insurer that my previously gained no claims bonus "lasted" for 2 years before it was totally lost
  • sparvar
    MoneySupermarket all the way!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Riq
    • By Riq 16th Jan 08, 11:31 PM
    • 9,710 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    Riq
    I got my quote today. £800 and I am well pleased, was expecting £1,000+

Male, 23, one accident, honda civic.

Not the best combination in the world, but it isn't a fancy type-r anymore so that saves a heeeeeeell of a lot!
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • olddogbreath
    Car Gap Insurance
    Maybe in the wrong thread here but please redirect me.
    Buying a new car for my wife and offered gap insurance. 3 years for £387 seems expensive. Is there any point and is there a cheaper way?
    Thank you
    • SAVINGMUM
    • By SAVINGMUM 17th Jan 08, 9:18 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    SAVINGMUM
    Legal Protection
    Hi, bit of advice needed - do i need Legal Protection on my car insurance. Ive always paid for it in the past, but not really sure what its for or whether i need it?

Thanks in advance
  • chivers1977
    Take it. it hardly costs anything and if you have an accident, it will be invaluable to try and recover medical costs, compensation for pain and your excess.
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
    • ChrisCar
    • By ChrisCar 20th Jan 08, 4:16 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    ChrisCar
    Hi, bit of advice needed - do i need Legal Protection on my car insurance. Ive always paid for it in the past, but not really sure what its for or whether i need it?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by SAVINGMUM

Take it.
    Someone tried to sue me, little accident, his fault but he thought he could put a claim in for a whiplash injury.
    I had legal insurance but they would only fight it by putting in a counter claim.
    He lost.
    I got my excess paid, count costs and £2,000 compensation.
    Not bad for something I was going to put down to experience before he tried to sue me.
    • Sunday Morning
    • By Sunday Morning 22nd Jan 08, 6:16 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Sunday Morning
    Here's my experience on using Martins article.

I have to begin here.. which links to a post I put up about Drive Assist some time ago. If it were not for the experience I had with this firm that provided me with my courtesy car included on the insurance I had with Zurich, then I may have simply rang Zurich to renew my insurance with them for the fifth year for the £497 they quoted me. that's all I had ever done...not even looked just blindly renewed.

But look I did and so I came to notice that, as I filled in my details for the comparison sites, my renewal quote anyway did not include information about the two sppeding fines each that my wife and I had had over the last five years. I rang them up to mention this and they charged me £10 as a pro rata addition for the remaining two weeks of the policy and upped my renwal quote to £558.

The sites gave me optimism, actually certainty, that cheaper quotes were out there. However I was certainly a bit put out to discover that it's not quite a case of doing exactly what they say on the tin.....

From Money Supermarket...a Kwik Fit quote I had which mentioned £100 as the excess in the policy details on the comparison site...turned into a £200 excess when I progressed onto their site. they also had this sneakly little bit on their site...

We may use the information you give to make you aware of financial products and special offers which could save you money. For this purpose we may also share your information with Kwik-Fit Group companies and other carefully selected third parties. This may be by telephone or e-mail.

Please tick the box if you do not wish to be contacted by Email

Cunning huh? No way out if you don't want them to telephone you!!!!!!!!!!

On one of the other sites I got a quote from Bell for £437 which transformed into £488 upon calling them as instructed. The guy Nigel was ok, but he admitted he didn't know why the quote was different when the only additional detail he had added was to put down I had two kids under 16! I knew kids were expensive but.....!

The cheapest quote I saw, way cheaper than anything else, was for Auto Direct which showed up on the Tesco Compare site as a quote of £295 including courtesy car and ncb protection and no voluntary excess.

However, on further pursuit, this turned into a quote of £397 without ncb protection!

It's a shame that £100 disappeared into thin air, but with my renewal imminent, I nevertheless opted to take this one up, still saving around £160 on the renewal quoted by Zurich.

A special word for Swinton. They seemed to appear on most of the comparison sites and were reasonable cheap with it at around £450. But not only did I almost immediately receive emails from them upon getting the comparative prices, but I also got a phone call as well...even before I'd had a chance to really look through all the quotes! I put them aside on the "reasonable but too pushy for me" pile!

Finally a big word of thanks to Martin, without whose forum I would have paid well over the odds for the renewal of my car insurance.
  • easy tiger
    just used mse.com for the first time to renew my car insurance saved £250 with kwik fit and recieved a free mot for the car i was insuring at any kwik fit garage happy days!
    • koru
    • By koru 25th Jan 08, 6:31 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    koru
    A&L price beater promise
    A&L ostensibly seem to have the best price beater promise going. If they can't beat your renewal premium, you get a year's free cover:
    www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/insurance/index.asp?page=home

Sounds great, but I assume that in practice this means they will always come in just below your renewal premium. (eg, Assume their normal premium would be £290, but your renewal is £250. They either have to offer you £249 or give you free cover. I think it is obvious what they will do.) I would be fascinated to hear of anyone who actually gets the free cover.
    koru
    • ch26
    • By ch26 27th Jan 08, 4:30 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    ch26
    Young driver insurance
    My 17 year old son wants to buy an oldish Ford Ka and insure it. Cheapest quote so far is around £1400. Anyone got any tips/ideas where we could get it any cheaper? Thanks.
    • pkempc
    • By pkempc 28th Jan 08, 3:08 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    pkempc
    A & L one years free cover offer
    A&L ostensibly seem to have the best price beater promise going. If they can't beat your renewal premium, you get a year's free cover:
    www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/insurance/index.asp?page=home

Sounds great, but I assume that in practice this means they will always come in just below your renewal premium. (eg, Assume their normal premium would be £290, but your renewal is £250. They either have to offer you £249 or give you free cover. I think it is obvious what they will do.) I would be fascinated to hear of anyone who actually gets the free cover.
    Originally posted by koru
    My Zurich renewal ( includes NCP, breakdown cover & legal ) - £275.17

A & L quote ( including NCP but excludes legal & breakdown cover ) - £ 246.50. According to A&L T&C this beats my Zurich renewal as legal & breakdown cover are 'optional extras' so no free years cover:confused:

However, revised A&L quote adding in the 'optional extras' - £337.50

Me thinks I'll keep shopping around.
    Assume 1st – then check the facts!
  • dkeogh
    What a great in-depth article, I can't think of any car owner who wouldn't find this useful (consider it bookmarked and syndicated, the whole nine yards!)

100% market search with just six comparison sites is fantastic, I've always advised friends and family to check more than one or two but this system should help even more.

My personal favourite tip is to haggle, too many people are too scared to try (that's the reserved British way I suppose).

Will certainly give this method a try when my insurance is up for renewal

Cheers
    the car insurance blog

mortgage debt = £89,468
    credit card debt = £200 (on 0% with egg)
    car insurance saving 2007 = £48 switching to esure - up for renewal very soon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,151Posts Today

7,556Users online

Martin's Twitter