hedgehog car insurance

Cheap quote provided on comparison site.
Does anyone know about hedgehog or have experience of claiming from them?

Comments

• FTBAngst
    FTBAngst Posts: 130 Forumite
    Ooo bump, same question
  • I've not had experience, but in looking for quotes for my son I did an online search (e.g. review hedgehog car insurance) and reviews were not particularly good. If I recall, there were issues with prices changing and not being able to speak to someone easily.

I decided to avoid them, but that was our choice and son can afford to go elsewhere. Your situation may be different.
  • I've been with them for a few months and thankfully I've never had any issues. I actually thought the reviews were pretty good (one of the reasons I chose them), the other reason was I absolutely hate being stuck on hold, to inevitably change something that could be done online. Renewal will be interesting, but I'm hopeful they'll be just as competitive :-)
  • My recommendation is don't go with Hedgehog. Yes they are fine if you just sign up online and never have a problem. However, there is no way to contact them immediately if you do. The chat option is with an automated bot so you can only email them which they will take at least 24 hours to get back to you on, sometimes much longer. Imagine that if your car is sitting in the middle of the road after a crash.

I can't see them lasting too long, they've already disabled google reviews which is suspicious, and the reviews on reviews.io also look very suspicious in my opinion.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My advice to anyone is avoid budget insurers if at all possible. While the price may seem attractive, they are generally an absolute nightmare to deal with when things go wrong.
  • I've got a policy with them and had a claim - was all good. Stupid mistake by me in a traffic jam, nothing too major (I thought!), you do just call to claim and they handled it from there.

Will definitely renew with them (subject to the price of course!!!), service has been good, I like that you can do everything online, and you contrary to what I think a couple of people have said, I've been able to talk to real people on online chat - Matt I think was his name - just has to be in office hours I guess.
  • Iro1982
    Iro1982 Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Avoid avoid avoid!  I had a policy with them.  Cheap quote and the cover provided was all I needed.  I sold the car within a few months and so cancelled the policy due to getting a company car.  I contacted them and they confirmed the cancellation.  They told  me there was a cancellation fee and outstanding premium, but they were not collecting this and so the policy was closed.  I asked why they were not collecting it if it was owed to them and they said that the accounts department has not requested it at this time.  I offered to pay it (as I was expecting a cancellation fee) but they refused to take any money from me.  6 months later I received an email saying that they are checking their records and can see that this amount is still outstanding and so they are collecting it from my card now.  I disputed this and very clearly told them by email that I do not give them permission to take this money as they were offered it 6 months ago and refused so why should they have it now.  Well, they’ve taken it out of my account and emailed me an apology.  Just be aware they seem to have an unorthodox accounting system to say the least, due to coronavirus issues, I can’t really afford for them to be taking my money right now, I could have done 6 months ago though and have never ever been in this position were a company takes a cancellation fee 6 months after the point of cancellation 
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Why should they have it now? Because you owed it by your own admission. 
    They had upto 6 years to take legal action to reclaim the money.  If you cannot afford a one off payment offer installments
    if this is not too late?

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• I chose Hedgehog as the cheapest premium provider. You get what you pay for. Overall, the online system is good but I object to having to pay an admin fee to change details when the system is automated. My biggest gripe is Customer Service. Ringing the number and choosing the department you require gives you the opportunity to speak to an adviser or to use web chat. DON'T choose web chat because when you tell them the nature of your enquiry, without fail, they tell you that you'll have to use the phone to speak to that department. Frustrating. When ringing customer service expect to wait an average of 28 minutes (calculated over the 12 calls I've made to them) before you get to speak to someone. However, of the 12 calls I've made, I have hung up 4 times after being on hold for over 40 minutes. The hold music is also suicide inducing. I will not be renewing based simply on customer service.
  • TomM86
    TomM86 Posts: 1
    First Post

Avoid the company at all costs. They tried to auto renew my insurance policy that I had previously set up on monthly payments (for the previous years policy). Despite me cancelling the auto renewal they took payment out of my account today as a full yearly sum (not monthly) for a 12 month renewal. This has sent me into an overdraft And left me with no money to buy food and live. I have spoke with their online team who have advised me that I am entitled to a full refund but have told me it can take up to 14 working days to receive it. Despite me flagging the seriousness of this action and that i needed the money returned straight away that have told me they are unable and unwilling to speed up the process. I will be reporting to the relevant insurance watchdog and seeking compensation. Disgusting attitude from a company clearly looking to make a fast buck in deceitful ways

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback