Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Former_MSE_Dan
Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 13 February 2013 at 1:59PM in Flight delay compensation
This discussion relate to the Flight Delay Compensation guide.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Former MSE team member

Comments

• Mr_Warren_2
    Mr_Warren_2 Posts: 991
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Dan wrote:
    This discussion relate to the new article, Compensation for delayed flights. Click reply to discuss.

Were delayed for exactly 3 hours out of NCL airport a few weeks ago...Easyjet offered vouchers without being asked.....GBP3.00 for each passenger !!!!! try to buy something to drink/eat for 3 quid at any aiprot in the UK...... :confused:
  • jude123_2
    jude123_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Mr_Warren wrote:
    Were delayed for exactly 3 hours out of NCL airport a few weeks ago...Easyjet offered vouchers without being asked.....GBP3.00 for each passenger !!!!! try to buy something to drink/eat for 3 quid at any aiprot in the UK...... :confused:

We were delayed for 6 hours a few weeks ago and were given just one sandwich and a very small bottle of water. I think I'd rather have had the £3
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,921
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It is very kind of the EU to offer me this compensation - whether I want it or not - why not give me the choice of paying a tenner less per return flight doing without this 'insurance' which I may already have purchased seperately anyway?
    I think....
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Dear Martin and All

I would welcome your thoughts on the following. I bought a ticket with an airline which involved a transfer in London (from a regional airport through to Europe) - the return plane was delay by just under two hours due to a breakdown. This would have been a minor inconvenience, but as a result of this delay I was not able to make the connection in London. The airline paid for transfer to the hotel and back by taxi, a nights accommodation in a hotel, dinner and breakfast and put me on a flight the following day. As a result I did not get back to my departure airport until over 12 hours after I should have, missing an evening with my family and some of work the following day. I faxed a letter of complaint to the airline using the details as indicated on their website but two weeks on I have heard nothing.

My question is, if the original delay (technical problem as the plane was broken) is under two hours then this appears to be outside the compensation limits, however, I was delayed by over 13 hours due to their technical fault. Do you know what rules apply in this scenario?

Although this is specific to me, it would be interesting to have clarification for others as well as I am sure that this will arise in the future and therefore may be worth a note in the article.

Many thanks

Anon
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anon, was the connecting flight with the same airline on the same ticket or were they two different airlines?

Also the fact that the airline put you up for the night, with food and arranged all your transfers is pretty good. Let's see the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair doing the same. Personally (and its just my own view) I really don't think you have any grounds to complain.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like you were treated fairly IMHO

Second paragraph here gives a rough guide as to what most decent ailrines do.

You could look at the T&C of the airline you flew with (??) to check but I think you'll find they promise to deliver you to your destination, but not promise to get you there at a certain time.

You MAY have been able to negotiate being put onto another carrier to get to your destination that day or possibly get the train fare etc to get you home.
  • Laura_Biding
    Laura_Biding Posts: 18
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was delighted to learn about this new EU ruling which came into effect in February 2005. We had booked to travel with EU Jet from Manston, Kent to Nice in March and our return flight was cancelled without notification to us. This caused us a lot of hassle and extra income in re-arranging many aspects. Despite the local Customer Services Manager being superb, the airline managers couldn't even be bothered to respond to our letters. We applied to EU Jet for this mandatory compensation and were successful. The airlines are aware (even if the consumer isn't) that failure to comply could result in a hefty fine of £5,000 from the Civil Aviation Authority. Needless to say the Customer Services lady has sadly now left the company.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    pin wrote:
    Anon, was the connecting flight with the same airline on the same ticket or were they two different airlines?

Also the fact that the airline put you up for the night, with food and arranged all your transfers is pretty good. Let's see the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair doing the same. Personally (and its just my own view) I really don't think you have any grounds to complain.

Personally I think Anon has grounds for complaint - well at least compensation.

Regardless of the fact Anon was treated well by the airline, he/she still arrived many hours late.

My son is in a similar dispute. He was booked on a domestic flight in the USA to New York to catch a flight to UK. The domestic flight was delayed 3 hours and he missed his flight to UK. Although put up in hotel etc he still arrived in UK a day late.
  • Trollydolly_2
    Trollydolly_2 Posts: 407 Forumite
    He arrived alive and didnt have to travel on an aircraft with a technical problem that could have caused a fatal crash.

Personally i think thats a good thing. Airlines dont cancel or delay flights without a good reason, Do you think they want to pay out to all these passengers?? NOPE

I know i would rather get on a safe, late plane than a dangerous on time one.

Another question id like answered , Why dont we get compensation from the rail company's when the trains are late??? How can they let people randomly walk around or have no seat when the trains moving at such speed. You have to have a seatbelt in the car and on planes, why not on trains???

Anyway i digress!
    Sorry ignore my last paragraph its totally off topic
  • I am struggling to find travel insurance which will cover me for delayed flights internal to the UK. I have 3 weeks of connecting flights from Plymouth to Bristol to Glasgow ahead of me and Air SW's performance last Friday didi not fill me with confidance that I will make it to Bristol airport in time for my Glasow flights (Air SW delayed a 2020 flight until 2315 then flew me to Newquay and bussed me to Plymouth - arriving some 5 hours late at 0230!). Anyone aware of a policy which would allow me to have the flexibility to hire a car to get me to Bristol on time should my Air SW flight be delayed?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback