Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    Car Breakdown Discussion 27th Mar 12 at 4:48 PM

This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on

Car Breakdown cover

Please first read the

Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance

Feedback

Last edited by MSE Tony; 27-03-2012 at 7:00 PM.
Page 3
    • InDebted2U
    • By InDebted2U 20th Jun 12, 11:20 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    InDebted2U
    I bought AA cover via TopCashBack last year. I got Roadside, Relay and Homestart for just over 100, which qualified me for 50 cashback. Cashback came through no trouble. However, this year they are ringing my phone off the hook trying to accept their 'special discounted continuing member renewal price' of 177+! I don't recall giving them my home number (I never give it out for 'marketing purposes'), so I am pretty annoyed at their repeated calls and refusal to take no for an answer. So if you want to take out AA cover, my advice is not to give them your home number ever. But I can confirm I received the cashback from them through TCB.

Just trying to decide where to get this year's cover from. I need roadside & relay as a minimum for a four year old car. RAC via Tesco Clubcard vouchers is currently looking like my best choice, unless anyone has found better (don't want a pay and claim back service)?

EDIT: Just noticed I have to wait to be sent RAC application from Clubcard. Going on holiday at weekend, so this is no good to me as I need cover by then. So, any recommended deals?
    Last edited by InDebted2U; 20-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    2019 Targets
    run 500 miles (21.5/500)
    lose 50 lbs (0/50)
    clear all debts...

• The AA Company Representative
    Hello NormalPeopleWorryMe. We'd like to help stop the unwanted calls for you, please email chat@theaa.com with Reference 11470. Regards The AA
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • InDebted2U
    • By InDebted2U 22nd Jun 12, 10:12 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    InDebted2U
    I decided to go with Autonational (whom I used a couple of years ago). 15 months full vehicle cover (roadside, relay, at home, etc) for 66 minus approx 11 cashback. Slightly more than RAC after cashback, but wasn't willing to sign up to RAC's rolling payment agreement (allowing them to debit me again next year, rather than asking me first).

Any amount of money seems crazy for something you (hope to) never use, but the peace of mind against spending nearly 200 to get towed off a motorway without cover goes a long way!

Added benefit of this policy is that, being 15 months, it will move my breakdown cover renewal away from MOT & tax time of year!
    2019 Targets
    run 500 miles (21.5/500)
    lose 50 lbs (0/50)
    clear all debts...

• frenziedmonkey
    • By frenziedmonkey 22nd Jun 12, 10:17 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    frenziedmonkey
    European breakdown - another voucher available
    If you're after European breakdown cover but have noticed that the MSE voucher code for The Green Insurance Company expired on June 1st... don't panic!

There's another code you can use: enter ETHICAL2 at checkout and you can still score a 10% discount.

Now, strangely the Ethical Junction website says the code's valid until 31/01/2011... but I can confirm it still works, I've just used it!
    • huggermugger
    • By huggermugger 23rd Jun 12, 2:25 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    huggermugger
    Have had Autoaid for the last three or four years & used them three times, all good experiences though I agree with the a review elsewhere that stated they're fine "if you're a bit independent". They use a network of approved providers which are basically local garages & breakdown recovery companies. Therefore the service varies a bit according to the particular garage that comes out to you. You are also free to find your own garage. They will recover you home or to another destination of your choice if the problem cannot be easily fixed (& I think the emphasis is on easily) by the roadside. Onward travel without the car is covered for you and 5 passengers, with an overnight hotel stay if needed. They also will recover if the vehicle is stolen or seriously vandalised & homestart is also covered. You do have to send the invoices off and wait for your money, but if you pay by credit card, that isn't an issue. You do need to take control of your own destiny a bit with the roadside guys, but I personally prefer that. I have a 10 year old car and have made it my business to know a bit about it. I have never had a problem with the refund element, my calls have been dealt with politely & help arrived very quickly. People don't arrive in a uniform & there is no sense of being part of a club - customer service from a lot of breakdown trucke drivers is a bit basic! But I have found them all to be pleasant, helpful & good at their job. I can't fault it for the money and am just about to renew yet again.
  • GAFFERCREDIT914
    car is over 10 years old !!!!!
    Like me, my car is getting old.

I wondered if anyone knew the cheapest basic cover for 10 yr plus cars as the premiums (understandably) seem to jump a bit when the vehicle gets to this age

Thank you all !!!!!!!!!
    • Skoota
    • By Skoota 27th Jun 12, 8:39 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Skoota
    I'd like to find a new policy covering both my car and my bike, but also cover for my wife when she's using the car. Does anyone know of any companies that cover more than one vehicle?

Thanks.
  • flyingscot100
    Caution needed
    My car is due for renewal next month and I am looking for decent deals. Not hoping for the car to break down but it's machine at the end of the day.

I was attracted by the Green Insurance Company's prices until I read customer reviews online that were all very negative.
    cheers
    Originally posted by OneBrightStar
    flyingscot100
  • flyingscot100
    Caution needed
    My car is due for renewal next month and I am looking for decent deals. Not hoping for the car to break down but it's machine at the end of the day.

I was also attracted by the Green Insurance Company's prices until I read customer reviews online that were all very negative.
    cheers
    Originally posted by OneBrightStar
    flyingscot100
    • Gorf123
    • By Gorf123 13th Jul 12, 3:39 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Gorf123
    ...the service varies a bit according to the particular garage that comes out to you. You are also free to find your own garage...
    Originally posted by huggermugger
    I've just broken down and remembered that it's my wife (and me, by default) who are covered by AutoAid, not the cars. I'd already sorted out recovery with my local garage. It occurred to me that I might need to let them know in advance, but I'm OK to just sort it out and the first they know about it is when I send the bill - apparently.

I can see that system being closed down, it must be open to abuse...?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Jul 12, 3:46 PM
    • 25,546 Posts
    • 13,743 Thanks
    lisyloo
    it must be open to abuse...?
    Actually it's the other way round.
    Lots of people simply forget that they can claim or don't get round to it.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 14th Jul 12, 5:35 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    I'm another with AutoAid. I've just received my renewal notice for 38 which covers any car either myself or my wife are driving. I did notice on the renewal that the maximum for emergency assistance at home or within 1 mile of home is 65 and I can't remember if this is a new restriction or not! I've had this insurance for 4 or 5 years and have used it 3 or 4 times without any problems. I think the cost has gone up from 37 to 38 in that time!
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 14th Jul 12, 6:50 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Hi
    My RAC renewal has come through. I only have basic roadside cover and they are quoting me just over 50. However, my car is 13 years old, so this limits my options to go elsewhere - can anyone suggest an alternative - I don't really want to go down the route of Gem or Autoaid (ie: paying and reclaiming).

Many thanks
    Originally posted by barafear799
    I'm in the same boat. I need to renew or look around as they (RAC) want 250 ish from me for joint cover. I need better than that.
    Just a bit 'frightened' to go elsewhere as they have always been good. I usually use them twice a year.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **

Thank you costs nothing but means a lot. That's why I thank all posts I like!
    • cinereus
    • By cinereus 16th Jul 12, 10:50 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    cinereus
    Anyone know about whether European breakdown cover is worthwhile?
  • MrGreen44
    My AA cover is up at end of month, got the lot Roadside,Relay,Home Start with cashback for 50...

Normally I switch between the two {RAC/AA}, can you go for cashback again with the same company?

Or could I get a better deal somewhere else?
    • cinereus
    • By cinereus 16th Jul 12, 2:22 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    cinereus
    If you're after European breakdown cover but have noticed that the MSE voucher code for The Green Insurance Company expired on June 1st... don't panic!

There's another code you can use: enter ETHICAL2 at checkout and you can still score a 10% discount.

Now, strangely the Ethical Junction website says the code's valid until 31/01/2011... but I can confirm it still works, I've just used it!
    Originally posted by frenziedmonkey
    Green Insurance told me they can't offer breakdown cover unless you already have an insurance policy with them?!
    • caveat_emptor
    • By caveat_emptor 16th Jul 12, 3:31 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    caveat_emptor
    I'm in the same boat. I need to renew or look around as they (RAC) want 250 ish from me for joint cover. I need better than that.
    Just a bit 'frightened' to go elsewhere as they have always been good. I usually use them twice a year.
    Originally posted by Cinders2001
    Try Green Flag. I have a 15 year old car (fantastic motor but that's another story) and have been quoted 33.92 for basic roadside that's with 10% no claims discount. Your 'twice a year usage' and level of cover might jack the premium up.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    • den169
    • By den169 16th Jul 12, 6:44 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    Green Insurance told me they can't offer breakdown cover unless you already have an insurance policy with them?!
    Originally posted by cinereus
    I'm certain thats not right you can go online and just fill the form in and pay for it.

I'm looking for a breakdown recovery for a small pickup,But one that takes the vehicle home if it can't be repaired at the roadside i don't want one that takes me to a local garage if they think it can be fixed in in the day .Anyone know of one.
    Last edited by den169; 16-07-2012 at 6:54 PM. Reason: added
  • djk69
    AA Deal
    Our family AA cover was due for renewal and at 290+ to cover 3 cars I decided to shop around and found a deal for 150 with the same level of cover etc. but not with a company that has its own vehicles etc. like the AA or RAC.

Having checked their reputation on a couple of opinion sites I decided that they looked viable so phoned the AA to cancel the renewal with the instant reaction that my renewal went down to 165.

I did try to haggle them down to parity with the other company but rather than discount further they offered a "gold" card which has a number of additional benefits, such as 500 key cover, etc.

All in all I'm quite happy with the deal.

DJK
  • MrSpock
    Basic AA Cover for 4!
    Its possible to get Basic AA cover for even cheaper - as cheap as 4 if you're a new Topcashback member.

1. Join Topcashback through NoBrainers UK, This will give you 5 direct into your TCB account.
    2. Buy the 30 AA policy through Topcashback and get 19 cashback
    3. Submit a Cashback match to the guys at Topcashback to match Quidco's cashback amount and they should up your cashback received to 21

30 - 21 - 5 = 1 year's Breakdown cover for only 4!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,762Users online

Martin's Twitter