Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 21st Feb 07, 12:14 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Roadside Recovery: AutoAid Feedback
    • 21st Feb 07, 12:14 PM
    Roadside Recovery: AutoAid Feedback 21st Feb 07 at 12:14 PM
    This thread is specifically to discuss feedback on AutoAid in the Roadside Recovery article. Previously there has been lots of good feedback in the general discussions.

Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
  • Happy Bunny
    I've used Auto Aid 3 times and in each case the operator that came out to us, didn't accept debit cards, and I don't have a credit card

I didn't have to come up with the money at all, Auto Aid paid the garages direct on all 3 occasions. I didn't even have to sign anything!

Excellent!
  • hailbop
    Fab!
    Having been with AutoAid for a couple of years I've just had cause to claim; my motorbike broke down at the side of the road in a town 30-odd miles away from where I live and purely by chance a local motocycle mechanic stopped to offer his help. He couldn't repair it at the side of the road so he took the bike and myself home.
    At this point I was just happy to be getting home safely so I paid the guy with cash. In a few days he posted me a receipt which I forwarded to AutoAid and I received a reimbursement by receipt.
  • ***trumpeter***
    After joining last year due to the recommendations on this board, my wife broke down last week. I arranged a tow (auto gearbox had broken so it was clear that a roadside repair wouldn't be possible; no doubt the bigger services would have made her wait for a roadside mechanic to verify it, though), paid for it and got a receipt.

The cheque from autoaid was in my hand four days after I posted my claim, even though she had just changed cars, so it wasn't the one on their records.

I can't fault the service at all, especially as it's such good value.

Best wishes, Neil
    • derrick
    • By derrick 14th May 07, 3:02 PM
    • 7,168 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    The cheque from autoaid was in my hand four days after I posted my claim, even though she had just changed cars, so it wasn't the one on their records.
    Originally posted by ***trumpeter***

The car does not matter, it is the policy holder,(and legal spouse), that is covered, there are no details of my car on my policy.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th May 07, 3:23 PM
    • 25,525 Posts
    • 13,724 Thanks
    lisyloo
    The car does not matter
    Or to put it more generically, the vehicle does not matter.
    My motorbike nor my car are listed on mine.

I believe it covers vehicles and not just cars (which makes it EVEN better value).
    • derrick
    • By derrick 14th May 07, 3:46 PM
    • 7,168 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    Or to put it more generically, the vehicle does not matter.
    Originally posted by lisyloo

To put it more specifically, the vehicle does matter, e.g they don't cover artics!

They only cover cars and car derived vans, (this does not include transits), and motor bikes above 150cc.

• ciderman69
    Query on AutoAid cover within 1 mile of home
    After all the positive reports about AutoAid's service I'm seriously considering changing to their breakdown cover but just have one query.
    In their policy summary they say that if your car breaks down within 1 mile of your home the maximum you can claim for call out charges and recovery is 65.
    I don't know how much a garage would charge to come out and try and fix your car and recover it if necessary if you broke down within a mile of your house but 65 doesn't sound like it would cover very much?

Has anyone broken down within a mile of their house and if so can they comment on how AutoAid dealt with it?
  • woodworker
    Excellent company.
    I have used them twice in the 16 years I have been with them. Both times there was no hastle at all. Why pay more?
  • Hicola
    I have had to call them out twice in the last month over a dying battery which on the second occassion gave up the ghost. A different company came each time. Whilst the service from both companies from their mechanics was fine, the second company were extremely reluctant to send me the receipt claiming that the inland revenue did not allow them to photocopy receipts and that they had sent the receipt direct to Autoaid/Boncaster. They eventually sent out a receipt but failed to give a breakdown of costs spliting the call-out and new battery. When I rang to query this they claimed that the receipt was for the costs of the new battery only and that they had sent the call-out cost direct to Autoaid. This I thought was highly unlikely as they knew it was pay and claim. Effectively, they seemed to be overcharging me by 50 and as I had alread paid, they were not prepared to do anything about it. I had been waiting for the receipts, I hadn't made the claim at this point. I explained I would take my grievance to Autoaid and the local trading standards which did not seem to bother them very much, no doubt as they already had my money.

Without much hope I rang Autoaid and explained the situation and they promised to call back which to my surprise they did a few hours later. Cutting through the garage's spurious claims they explained that they would refund me the cost of the call out (approx 50). Their service was very efficient and helpful (unlike my previous experience with the RAC).

In summary then, good service at the roadside but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for, get it itemised by the mechanic on site and written on the roadside paperwork and make sure you can claim it back!
    Last edited by Hicola; 14-07-2007 at 9:52 PM. Reason: Update on problem with claim
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 25th May 07, 9:30 AM
    • 25,525 Posts
    • 13,724 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I don't know how much a garage would charge to come out and try and fix your car and recover it if necessary if you broke down within a mile of your house but 65 doesn't sound like it would cover very much?
    Hi ciderman,

Generally speaking I don't think you'll find ANY insurance policy that will cover you for absoutely every eventuality.
    In general it seems that people are very pleased with AutoAid and it's cracking good value.
    If you aren't happy with particular aspects of it then you are of course free to pay more for a different policy, but be aware that other companies have some exclusions that AutoAid doesn't, like (for example) running out of fuel.

I think you need to know what you are buying, but in general insurance policies do not cover you for every single eventuality, you just have to find the best match for your own circumstances.

I'm not sure why they have this 65 limit, perhaps investigate how far away your local garage is and what they would charge and then decide.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 25th May 07, 9:34 AM
    • 25,525 Posts
    • 13,724 Thanks
    lisyloo
    They only cover cars and car derived vans, (this does not include transits), and motor bikes above 150cc.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Cracking good value for those of us who have motorbikes (over 150cc) as well as cars.
    • quickstepqueen
    • By quickstepqueen 25th May 07, 11:01 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    quickstepqueen
    Based on everyones recommendations I have just rung up to take out their policy. It cost £34 and it took less than 5 minutes to set up and that included me asking several questions. You can't go wrong for £34.

When I told my OH what I had done he immediately thought it was dodgy because of having to pay up front, but when I told him that Martin from MSE whole heartedly recommended it he was totally cool. Recommendations go a very long way and if it wasn't for this forum and this thread in particular I would have just spent £78 with Green Flag (with £20 quidco cashback.) To say I am happy is an understatement. Thanks guys.
    • Optimist
    • By Optimist 25th May 07, 12:25 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    Optimist
    Insurances Resource Guide Car Insurances - Illegal driving and Glossary of car insurance coverage. http://carinsurance.webpark.pl
    Originally posted by arqus

Spam Spam Spam
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
    • davidlizard
    • By davidlizard 28th May 07, 12:25 AM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    davidlizard
    Ours has just come up for renewal, so based on the generally positive comments posted on this forum, we have gone ahead and switched to Autoaid.

We had to phone up our current breakdown company as membership is automatically renewed, and they asked the reason for cancellation, and who we were going to. They then advised that Autoaid would not pay up for stuff involving flat tyres, and did we know this?

As I am more than capable of changing a wheel, and I have made sure that the wife can do this as well, that does not bother us, but I was wondering is this actually true (Autoaid will not change a flat that is) or is a scaremongering tactic trying to dissuade people from leaving them ?

Dave
  • meno
    No mention of that in my policy, it does state you must carry a serviceable spare wheel as they all do.

Maybe it doesnt cover a flat tyre at home? my policy states it will pay to "start the vehicle" at home.

i like you would change it myself anyway
    • derrick
    • By derrick 28th May 07, 11:33 AM
    • 7,168 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    As I am more than capable of changing a wheel, and I have made sure that the wife can do this as well, that does not bother us, but I was wondering is this actually true (Autoaid will not change a flat that is) or is a scaremongering tactic trying to dissuade people from leaving them ?

Dave
    Originally posted by davidlizard
    The following is from HERE and suggests that you are correct:-

MAIN TERMS AND CONDITIONS (INCLUDING SIGNIFICANT/UNUSUAL EXCLUSIONS) (Referenced by policy sections)
    Breakdown means a mechanical or electrical failure, accident, theft or vandalism, which renders the vehicle immobile
    Applicable to all sections.

Although not sure what to make of this on, from HERE as it seems to contradict the above.

Autoaid - any experience? - Robin I have only used them once and found the service to be excellent, with one caveat. The truck arrived within about 45 minutes but when it became apparent that I had not run out of petrol, got a flat battery or a tyre I could not change it was straight onto the back of the truck. The guy explained that they were not a repair service, just a recovery service and anything more complex than any of the above and it was onto the truck. I had thought they were like the AA/RAC in as much s they try to get you going. Anyway, when the car was on the truck I was asked where I wanted to go, which in my case was the main dealer nearest my home, a distance was calculated via recourse to his HQ and payment extracted immediately. Then off we went to the garage. I got my money back in less than a week.

• BaobabAmy
    Just taken out an autoaid policy (m Mum has decided to take me off the family policy!). I specifically asked on the phone about changing flat tyres at home or on the road, and was told that this was covered. (I know that I should be able to do this myself!)
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 31st May 07, 3:12 PM
    • 25,525 Posts
    • 13,724 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I know that I should be able to do this myself!
    Not every can do this (disabled people) or wants to (in versace business suit).
    There is no shame in getting someone else to do this if you have paid for the cover.
    • loopy lou
    • By loopy lou 1st Jun 07, 9:12 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    loopy lou
    we are with autoaid, had to claim once last year about 20 miles after leaving our holiday chalet in cornwall. we needed to get back to lancs. They sent someone within half an hour, who towed us back to their garage, and gave us a courtesy car to get home. we were back on the road within one and a half hours. they recovered our car home to us the next day , to our garage, and collected their own. cheque by return of post. excellent!
  • susieQ
    We have used them 3 times in as many years of membership. The second time I was driving our daughter's car and it appears the battery was completely kaput(?).
    The car broke down within 200 metres of Halfords -how's that for convenience? The breakdown chap jump-started the car, I drove it to Halfords car park, popped in the store and purchased a new battery which he then fitted FOC. We were reimbursed for the call-out within a week.
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but I believe you are at liberty to call out any garage (ie your local or regular one if you are near home) without going through their breakdown centre, which could speed things up with a home call. All in all VERY satisfied with the service. Only wish they would consider a European policy!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

35Posts Today

4,110Users online

Martin's Twitter