Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 20th Feb 07, 7:20 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery
    • 20th Feb 07, 7:20 PM
    Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery 20th Feb 07 at 7:20 PM
    This thread has now been closed; for the new thread, please go to the new Breakdown Cover Discussion

This discussion relates to the

Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

To discuss click reply
    Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 10-11-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 24
    • butterfly72
    • By butterfly72 1st Aug 10, 12:31 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    butterfly72
    Instead just ring a local recovery company who will ask for about 30 one-off. if you are far away from home they will charge about 1 per mile to get it to your preferred local garage or to your house.

so if you do break down ring a telephone directory company and ask for the number of a nearby recovery company. independant recovery companies will negoiate on price to win your business and they can usually get someone out to you in less than half and hour.

if you breakdown miles and miles away from home it'd be cheaper to get it recovered and taken to the nearest garage. get it fixed there and drive home yourself!
    Originally posted by kateyb84

Umm thanks for the tips, but I wouldn't fancy the hassle of that if I was stuck on a country lane at gone midnight on a winters night!!! Too risky for me.
    2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
    • argeetee
    • By argeetee 31st Aug 10, 5:46 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    argeetee
    Insurance choice? - recovery and onward travel from 29
    After consulting MSE last year I bought BRONZE cover from Insurance Choice for 29 (see insurancechoice.co.uk ).

I haven't claimed so can't vouch for their service but they are half the price for anyone else for cover which includes recovery and onward travel (if car cannot be fixed at local garage the same day).

Anyway I couldn't find mention of this company on the MSE main car breakdown section, so wondered if they still any good?

What do you think?
  • whufc
    Thought I'd add my 2p. I choose Autonational as they were cheap. Had my first call out yesterday and someone was with us within an hour.
    If anyone is thinking about joining them they come highly recomended from me.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 13th Sep 10, 6:37 PM
    • 10,946 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    deanos
    Anyone used Total Rescue they seem cheap and 20% cashback

http://www.totalrescue.co.uk/
    • hardpressed
    • By hardpressed 13th Sep 10, 7:03 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    hardpressed
    If I go for Autoaid what's the chances of getting a garage to come out after normal hours/weekends? I presume AA & RAC are on call 24/7.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 13th Sep 10, 8:39 PM
    • 10,946 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    deanos
    If I go for Autoaid what's the chances of getting a garage to come out after normal hours/weekends? I presume AA & RAC are on call 24/7.
    Originally posted by hardpressed
    They work 24/7 same as AA/RAC
    • deanos
    • By deanos 13th Sep 10, 11:44 PM
    • 10,946 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    deanos
    http://www.covermybreakdown.co.uk/

Anyone used these ?

They seem the cheapest ive seen so far
  • bzugda
    Free RAC cover with E-ON homecare
    Hello all,
    I've not examined the details yet but I'm looking at boiler insurance and E-ON are including free RAC cover at the minute. Between that and the initial service for 144 a year on the home care heating 50 plan, that looks like a pretty good deal to me.

I'll update if there's any snags but I'll not get around to reading the fine print until tonight so I thought I'd drop a note now ;p

BZ
    • deanos
    • By deanos 14th Sep 10, 5:21 PM
    • 10,946 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    deanos
    Right i finally got breakdown cover today with Swinton, they did it for 36 in the shop for Breakdown + Recovery + At Home, they started off at 95 but i mentioned the website was 45 and then 20% Topcashback so they matched it
    • leew
    • By leew 18th Sep 10, 5:44 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    I'm after some road recovery and after cashback does the RAC one work out at 8? 28 minus 20 cashback seems a bargain if true!

Anyone any ideas?
  • adamc260
    Greenflag have a pretty good deal on at the mo

Recovery Plus which is basically everything minus euro cover is 60 (40% off deal running at the moment)

From a cashback site you get 30 cashback.... making it 30 for a very good level of cover
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 19th Sep 10, 12:01 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    The Palmist
    I stopped by RAC counter in a shopping centre yesterday and bought a road side recovery for 52 which normally goes for 72 after online discount and around 101 full price.
    The lady said she had to meet her targets and hence was willing to slash the prices. There was an AA counter on the other side and when I asked them to match this, they did not believe me and said there is no RAC would do it this cheap and I must have misunderstood.
    I have paid for the full year to save on any extra interest on monthly payments.
    • leew
    • By leew 19th Sep 10, 7:08 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    Is the RAC one 8 after 20 cashback? anyone know? seems very cheap if it is!
    • sce8pmh
    • By sce8pmh 23rd Sep 10, 10:33 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    sce8pmh
    I've just had a very positive experience of Britannia rescue and thought I'd pass on my experiences to others. As a member of CSMA I got their Britannia Rescue for 34.50 + CSMA Membership costs of 15 p/year (so a total of 49.50) which gives me coverage that included UK recovery. And I am so grateful for having that coverage.

Basically I was driving into York when the car lost the ability to accelerate, so I obviously pulled over and gave Britannia a call. Within about 20-30 mins their representative was there and had identified that it wasn't repairable at the roadside. So he was immediately on the phone to his office, who spoke to Britannia and within another 20mins the car was on a flatbed to starts its trip back to Bristol. Just before the flatbed arrived, Britannia gave me a call just to give me an update on what was going on and to make sure we were ok and to confirm that it was ok to go via our hotel in Leeds to collect some luggage.

Due to limits on drivers hours we had to have 2 swap overs on the way down but apart from a small delay in the Birmingham area, its was a smooth trip all the way back. So I have a very positive experience with Britannia and will be renewing with them next year. On the way back one of the drivers mentioned that they would charge about 4p per mile for recovery. On this 250-300mile trip I saved nearly 1000 which if I would have had to consider paying would have made me seriously consider whether it would be worth taking the car home or scrapping it.

So if anyone is thinking of using Britannia Rescue, I would say go for it.
    Last edited by sce8pmh; 23-09-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    • kats53
    • By kats53 28th Sep 10, 2:01 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    kats53
    HI has anyone any feedback about Startrescue breakdown cover? I've been comparing the market and this is my best price at 40 for total cover excluding european.
    • coupleuk
    • By coupleuk 1st Oct 10, 5:52 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    coupleuk
    Greenflag have a pretty good deal on at the mo

Recovery Plus which is basically everything minus euro cover is 60 (40% off deal running at the moment)

From a cashback site you get 30 cashback.... making it 30 for a very good level of cover
    Where did you get this deal please?

And which cashback site.

Thanks

Cheapest I can get off Green Flag site is 76.
    Last edited by coupleuk; 01-10-2010 at 6:49 PM.
  • Money_saving_Martyn
    I am already a member of the RAC, however my existing membership does not cover me for Europe.
    How do I obtain a "cheap" policy that will cover a one week holiday in France?
    Originally posted by lgerhardt
    The RAC, AA and many others do EU, single trip cover. The price seems to vary according to the age of the vehicle.

Cheap / Cheapest Europe European Single Trip Breakdown:

I didn't have to call them out while I was on holiday, but I went with http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/axa-assistance.php for my week to France in my 11 year old car.

They cover cars up to 15 years. A 7-9day trip seems to cost 24.75 - cheapest I could find for my older car.

For 59.00 per year, http://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/breakdown/ says it'll cover my old car for everything (home start, B&B, onward travel, etc.) including EU cover.

As for other breakdown companies for UK:

Older car? (10+)
    I've been with IC (Insurance Choice) for 2 years. They are not pay&claim. I've called them out twice in that time and I've been pleased with the service. 29 for a fairly good package (no home start or EU, but UK-wide recovery if a local garage can't sort it out quickly.) See: http://breakdown.insurancechoice.co.uk/compare.php To include Home start is 49. They cover cars over 10 years old. *5 discount available for 2nd policy bought with them if you read the FAQs* (although, if you're married, Autoaid would be cheaper at 37 for both of you!)

Car less than 6 years?

http://www.covermybreakdown.co.uk/ (from)32.95 for pretty much everything except EU cover. (from) 26.95 without Home Start (I think these prices are accurate if your car is less than 6 years old - you can do a free quote to double check) (Deanos mentioned these further up - never used them myself but seen the website mentioned a few times here and there.)

Always read the FAQs and small print to check you're getting what you want from any of them. I can remember hearing one very unhappy man at a service station on the M6 as an AA patrol towed him to there and left him as it was a "safe place" where he could "get a cup of tea"..... I bet he wishes he'd checked what his policy covered!
    Last edited by Money_saving_Martyn; 28-10-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • Former MSE Rose
    New discussion thread
    This thread has now been closed; for the new thread, please go to the new Breakdown Cover Discussion. Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,298Posts Today

6,927Users online

Martin's Twitter