Caution with using Hastings Direct app/online for changes

I recently took out car insurance with Hastings Direct. Knowing that I would be changing my car within a few days, I looked up quotes for both vehicles which had a difference of £65.56. In addition, I looked up charges for changing the policy, which would be £25, making an expected total charge of £90.56. Hastings have an app, or online, which indicates that you can easily use that to make changes to your policy, which I did. However it ended up charging £140.15 for the changeover! The lesson: If you're making changes, SPEAK TO A HUMAN!

Comments

• Hello,

I'm very sorry to read that the price for your change wasn't competitive on this occasion. We do advise that our premiums and quotes are affected by real-time pricing and as a result, the date and time a change is made can affect the price. You can always contact the Customer Service Department to discuss the price and the quote with them. They can be reached on 0333 321 9801 and an adviser would be able to take a look at this for you.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Hastings Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,241
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Salamat wrote: »
    The lesson: If you're making changes, SPEAK TO A HUMAN!

I doubt that's a result of using the app or website. I suspect it's more likely to be part of their pricing strategy, so a 'human' would have given you the same answer.

(Before you become a customer, their quotes will be competitive. When you're a customer making changes to a policy, there is less need for them to give competitive quotes.)

It might be interesting exercise to get a quote for changing back to your old car. In theory, they should give you £90.15 back (£140.15 - £25 - £25).

It would be interesting to see if they really do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure