Refused car insurance renewal

2»

Comments

• garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As above you don't need to declare this to other companies. They're simply unwilling to quote you a new policy. Could be any number of reasons that are unrelated to you such as a high number of thefts or fraudulent claims recently in your area.

It could even be as simple as a hard limit on the number of people matching your profile they will insure in one area in order to spread their risk.

Don't take it personally! :)
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2019 at 10:56AM
    welshdent wrote: »
    Hi all if anyone has any advice I'd be grateful.

As is often the case I'd forgotten my renewal was due soon so I hadn't started shopping around. I've been with Hastings direct for 2 years and 2 cars.

Changed cars for choice not accidents.

I had a no fault bump when somebody went in the back of in the first year. Nothing at all since then and rbeh renewed no issues. We had a new baby on the way so I didn't really get chance to shop around. I just paid in 1 lump sum.

In the last 12 months no accidents no motoring convictions. No speed awareness courses. Nothing.

So you can imagine my surprise when today I get an e mail from them to say none of their underwriters are prepared to insure me so they won't renew my policy.

I have full no claims and am 40 years old.

They would not tell my why simply making excuses about the information supplied was rejected that time but no further reasoning. I appear to have no right of appeal or to.have it wiped off my record.

The 2 agents I spoke to said that I could try and reapply and it may get accepted and that it won't affect me with other companies. That's clearly not true because I presume I'd have to disclose refusal of insurance forever now even though my circumstances have not changes. I'm not aware of any incorrect information but they wouldn't tell me anyway despite asking.

I'm at a loss and very angry. I've been driving since I was 17 and never had any issue like this. I'd understand it if something had happened. But it hasn't. The cheapest price comparison site quite I could get when ticking yes to declined insurance was double that for when ticking no. In addition hardly any insurers would quite me.

Just to stress again. I've done nothing wrong. Not moved. Same job. Same car. Same everything. They wouldn't even give me the courtesy to say what was wrong.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I would be applying for a SAR to Hunter etc just to see if there is any false information on there.
    A quick complaint to the ombudsman may focus minds.

Having said this Hastings are not a company I would even consider doing business with
    Buy cheap get cheap

As an aside Gocompare disagree with other posters about the need to declare refusal in these circumstances although the ombudsman / ABI might well have different views and I would not be declaring this if it were me as I think Gocompare have made this up

https://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/guide/declarations-and-non-disclosures/
    If you’ve been refused insurance, it means you’ve either had a claim rejected, or your insurer has refused to offer you a renewal quote.
    Your insurer might refuse to renew your policy, either because its criteria has changed or they’re no longer able to offer you cover.
    But you could also be refused insurance, or refused a renewal because of non-disclosure, leading to your insurance being voided or cancelled.
    If you’ve ever had insurance refused you have to declare it when you take out new insurance.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ^^ Gocompare are surely incorrect. I can't see how there's any difference between being unable to quote a renewal or being unable to quote a new customer.

If that's the case then anyone who's ever used a comparison site and had a single "Unable to quote" result would have to declare it forever as having insurance refused. 99.9% of people I'd imagine.

Having said that I can't see any insurer being bothered about this even if you did declare it. Although you'd have to do a quote over the phone as the "Cancellations" box doesn't distinguish between types of cancellation, some of which are fairly trivial (eg failure to provide NCD) and some which are roadblocks (eg making a fraudulent claim)
  • Hello,

I'm very sorry to read that the terms and conditions of your policy's underwriter cannot continue to cover you. Our underwriters do rate our policies on risk so when your policy comes up to the renewal, they'll rate your information at that moment in time compared to last year. So even if nothing changes in your circumstances, the prices can still change. Unfortunately, this can also mean that we're no longer able to provide a quote for you which may be why we haven't been able to insure you this year.

I appreciate the confusion and inconvenience this would have caused and I do hope that you can find suitable, competitive cover for your vehicle soon.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Hastings Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    welshdent wrote: »
    I have full no claims and am 40 years old.

Just remember when you are searching online for quotes that you will have a set number of years of no claims discount which is what you state when looking for new quotes. "full no claims" is basically a meaningless statement because different insurance companies will have a different maximum number of years that they will accept and provide proof of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure