Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    Car Breakdown Discussion 27th Mar 12 at 4:48 PM

This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on

Car Breakdown cover

Please first read the

Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance

Feedback

Last edited by MSE Tony; 27-03-2012 at 7:00 PM.
Page 34
    • edgeygee
    • By edgeygee 20th Apr 19, 9:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    edgeygee
    I recently received my renewal notice from Green Flag.Premium last year was £59.36, new premium was to be £78.40,this may partly be due to 1 callout for a flat battery.I went online onto the website of Green Flag as a new customer,put in all the same details, quote came up as £49.28. I called Green Flag,and told them this, they agreed this price on the spot,so I renewed at £49 28. I did not even have to threaten to leave,but while I was on I turned off Auto renewal,in case I forget next year.
    • athonjon
    • By athonjon 25th Apr 19, 12:23 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    athonjon
    Hi. Does anyone know of any current discount codes for Autoaid? Thanks
    • G1NSR
    • By G1NSR 26th Apr 19, 9:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    G1NSR
    AutoAid Offer not Working
    Anyone else having trouble with the AutoAid deal? You follow the link and the page says "join now for £48.31 a year" then when you try and join it's £59.99.... States offer is valid until 15th May?
    • eddyh
    • By eddyh 13th May 19, 3:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    eddyh
    Autoaid Offer not working
    Phoned Autoaid to renew from 130519, with current policy expiring 300619. Told cannot renew at £48.31 - has to be within 1 month of expiry if I understood the reasoning correctly. Asked to cancel the existing policy and start new policy from 130519 to be told start date is 48 hrs after inception ie 150519 and therefore falls within the new price bracket of £59.99. Reasoning, I might have a problem now and falsely claiming assistance!!! Whilst I'm a great fan of MSE, perhaps more detail for renewal would have been helpful - or are we (with GINSR) being give the runaround?
    • Bearothebear
    • By Bearothebear 12th Jun 19, 2:37 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bearothebear
    Start rescue
    Two years ago Start Rescue was top of your league table so I took out a policy with them. A few months ago we needed assistance for a ripped tyre when we crashed into a pot-hole and they provided good service with no problems. Now I’m coming up for renewal again and Starts prices have risen but are still competitive- my quote is £55 including home assist, onward travel, lost and broken keys.
    Is there any reason Start is not still in your top mentions?
    • randm
    • By randm 25th Jun 19, 1:56 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    randm
    rac and clubcard vouchers
    so basic cover by rac on the clubcard rac page is £55, yet when i go onto the normal rac page, it is £45. So they increase the price for clubcard voucher users. Not on.
    • FlyingDonkeys
    • By FlyingDonkeys 1st Jul 19, 10:43 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    FlyingDonkeys
    I'm back to this again. Thanks for the post.
    Pulling hair out

So its a toss up between Auto Aid and Axa
    [B][I]Flying Donkeys- Do no harm to others and you will benefit in more ways than one.
    • thomohawk
    • By thomohawk 21st Aug 19, 3:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thomohawk
    Nova Direct
    My wife's car broke down on a slip-road on the motorway after she drove over a metal object. Her tyre was completely flat but thankfully it wasn't a blowout. She phoned Nova Direct & was greeted with a number of questions before they could proceed; one of the questions was if she had a jack available. She said she wasn't sure but she thought not as she hadn't put one there herself. The immediate response from the gentleman in the "help" centre was that they could not send someone to fix her tyre as it was a requirement of the policy to have a jack on-board the vehicle.

I phoned up after this & was greeted with the exact same person that my wife had been speaking to & was informed in typically monotone & robotic terms that they couldn't send a breakdown van as it stated in my policy that you had to have a jack on-board. I have had numerous breakdown cover policies over the years & never once has it been a stipulation for a jack to be on-board the vehicle. I explained to the man that she didn't think she had a jack but that it was a redundant question as surely the breakdown van would have one anyway. After a few back & forths & absolutely no progress being made I asked what the next steps would be for me to get someone to go out & help my wife - I was given nothing. I asked to speak to a manager & was told that I was speaking to the manager, which I think highlights the budget nature of the business. I ended up hanging up as he had absolutely no empathy for my wife's situation, no professionalism & no intention of sending someone out to help.

I emailed after this demanding a refund & received 4, yes 4, fairly substantial emails with legalese jargon. They refused to offer a refund yet bizarrely also sent an email asking for a small additional payment to cancel the policy even although in one of the other emails they said it was not possible to get a refund. I have never dealt with such a cowboy breakdown cover company in my life. One of the emails received was from PEX insure, who perhaps not uncoincidentally, had the same address as Nova Direct, yet I'd never had any dealings with PEX insure. In all my email communications I never once received a name, just a generic 'Customer Services' email sign-off.

I cannot stress enough that consumers should avoid this company at all costs.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 24th Aug 19, 2:04 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Paid £228.17 and joined AA membership (including parts and garage cover). I then cancelled the membership within the cooling-off period. AA customer services replied saying a full refund can be processed minus the £20.00 admin fee. They asked for confirmation if I still want to cancel. I said yes.

Received email from AA customer support saying membership has been cancelled and that refund has been made to the account from which it was claimed. Today I've just seen on Curve app AA has refunded £20.01.

Anyone experience similar? The refund should be for £208.17 not £20.01
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Aug 19, 7:51 AM
    • 761 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Call off the search guys. issue seems to be with how curve is displaying the refund.

When I check curve app, this is what I see:

I checked M&S bank statement this morning and AA has refunded £208.16.

• Shenstone
    • By Shenstone 6th Sep 19, 8:57 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Shenstone
    AutoAid
    I just had a pleasant phone call to ensure my 31 year old 3 ton Land Rover Ambulance would be covered... it is, so I just saved £70 on my renewal quote from GEM

Thanks MCE

Regards
    Andy
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Sep 19, 10:09 AM
    • 25,569 Posts
    • 13,761 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I phoned up after this & was greeted with the exact same person that my wife had been speaking to & was informed in typically monotone & robotic terms that they couldn't send a breakdown van as it stated in my policy that you had to have a jack on-board.
    Originally posted by thomohawk
    Thanks for the warning.

I would expect any resourceful person to say, ah yes I remember I put a jack there and my wife didn’t know fairly sure in the knowledge that a recovery truck will have basic equipment available.
    • lyndilou1
    • By lyndilou1 22nd Sep 19, 1:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lyndilou1
    me too!
    Hi
    I had the same thing happen to me with GreenFlag.
    • davew9999
    • By davew9999 10th Nov 19, 12:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davew9999
    RAC prices gone up a lot
    Just thought I'd let you know that RAC's online price has gone up to £60 and your guide still shows £45. The cashback on Quidco and TopCashback is both £22 now and so the total is £38 and not £20 anymore.
    • BarneyTwelveson
    • By BarneyTwelveson 11th Nov 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BarneyTwelveson
    AutoAid - Misleading Cover on Partners
    I'm quite surprised that MSE are still recommending the AutoAid cover. The website is clearly quite misleading and assuming your policy is as per their policy wording there is a very good chance that people think they are covered and are not!

The website clearly states:

"Your legal spouse, civil or common law partner is covered under our Car Breakdown Recovery policy for no additional cost!*

However the current policy wording states:

“If the vehicle cannot be driven as a result of a breakdown which happens while you or your legal spouse or civil partner are driving”

The website clearly has an "*” in two places and yet is not referenced at all on that page.

I know MSE have added a single line on their page saying "the policy is being updated" regarding partners but an insurer will likely refer to your policy wording in the event of a claim.

Buyer beware.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 19th Nov 19, 12:10 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    murphydavid
    BarneyTwelveson

“If the vehicle cannot be driven as a result of a breakdown which happens while you or your legal spouse or civil partner are driving”

I've read this a number of times and as it stands on its own I have no idea what its relevance is. No time to look it up but - If that condition exists which it normally does when you are broken down then what?
    Last edited by murphydavid; 19-11-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 19th Nov 19, 12:36 PM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Phone them up to come out and help you?
    • TheBeeMan
    • By TheBeeMan 7th Dec 19, 3:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheBeeMan
    Hi all, hopefully this is the correct place to post this question. Your advice would be much appreciated.

AA Breakdown member since 2016.

Questions:
    Do the AA need to notify you before you contract is due for renewal?

Should they be telling me the amount due for renewal?

Are they just allowed to increase the premiums with payment via direct debit and without notification?

I've never received an email, letter or call regarding this and my premium is now at £37.45 per month.

They started at £13 per month between 07/2017 & 06/2018 ( Im guesing this is the Introductory offer)

Increased to £29.24 between 06/2018 & 04/2019

Increased again to £37.45 between 06/2019 to present day.

No notification ever regarding increases or payments going forward. I have also previously asked for Auto Renweal to not be used on my account. Doesn't look like this has been done.

Do I have any right to a refund as no notification has ever been given to me regarding my cover and increase of premiums?

Cheers all
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 9th Dec 19, 9:49 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    murphydavid
    addition
    Hi all, hopefully this is the correct place to post this question. Your advice would be much appreciated.

AA Breakdown member since 2016.

Questions:
    Do the AA need to notify you before you contract is due for renewal?

Should they be telling me the amount due for renewal?

Are they just allowed to increase the premiums with payment via direct debit and without notification?

I've never received an email, letter or call regarding this and my premium is now at £37.45 per month.

They started at £13 per month between 07/2017 & 06/2018 ( Im guesing this is the Introductory offer)

Increased to £29.24 between 06/2018 & 04/2019

Increased again to £37.45 between 06/2019 to present day.

No notification ever regarding increases or payments going forward. I have also previously asked for Auto Renweal to not be used on my account. Doesn't look like this has been done.

Do I have any right to a refund as no notification has ever been given to me regarding my cover and increase of premiums?

Cheers all
    Originally posted by TheBeeMan
    Sounds awful. I note from Google search that a number of people are also complaining about this very bad policy. What I can't quite understand is who is the bank you have your direct Direct Debit with. I have Barclaycard and First Direct and if I cancel any auto-renewal with anyone (which I always do to get the joining bonus if there is one) I simultaneously use online banking and cancel the direct debit myself with my bank. That way it cannot be accessed. I may be wrong but I think that when you take out a direct debit you get a direct debit guarantee statement. I have had hundreds of them but never actually read one but I suggest in this case you take the trouble to do so.
    https://www.smartdebit.co.uk/what-is-the-direct-debit-guarantee/
    Last edited by murphydavid; 09-12-2019 at 9:53 AM.
    • TheBeeMan
    • By TheBeeMan 9th Dec 19, 6:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheBeeMan
    Sounds awful. I note from Google search that a number of people are also complaining about this very bad policy. What I can't quite understand is who is the bank you have your direct Direct Debit with. I have Barclaycard and First Direct and if I cancel any auto-renewal with anyone (which I always do to get the joining bonus if there is one) I simultaneously use online banking and cancel the direct debit myself with my bank. That way it cannot be accessed. I may be wrong but I think that when you take out a direct debit you get a direct debit guarantee statement. I have had hundreds of them but never actually read one but I suggest in this case you take the trouble to do so.
    Thanks for your advice.

I bank with Barclays myself and wasn't aware of the Guarantee scheme. I will for sure contact my bank and check. But as the guaantee is only for 2 months past direct debits, this wont solve my issue with the AA.

Being Disabled the large premiums without notification has hit hard.

Hopefully someone else might be able to shed some light on wether the AA need to notify me the customer of price increases when in or out of contract. They must have some legal obligation, otherwise its "Carte Blanche".
    Last edited by TheBeeMan; 09-12-2019 at 6:22 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistakes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,369Posts Today

6,632Users online

Martin's Twitter