Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Tony
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion 14th May 15 at 12:35 PM
    Hi,

This is a feedback thread on car breakdown provider:

AutoAid

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
    • Have you experienced problems?
    • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Cheap Breakdown Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 14-05-2015 at 1:04 PM.
Page 15
    • pritchah
    • By pritchah 21st Jul 19, 12:21 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pritchah
    Premium increase
    We've been with Auto Aid for years

I had the renewal a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to see the premium had shot up from £39.89 to £59.99

Anyone else had this experience?

We haven't used them for than 5 times in 10 years, and not at all last year I think
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 21st Jul 19, 12:41 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,550 Thanks
    Quentin
    There's no difference in the renewal price compared to the premium for new customers
    • orrery
    • By orrery 21st Jul 19, 2:27 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    orrery
    There's no difference in the renewal price compared to the premium for new customers
    Originally posted by Quentin

Yes, something has changed. Until last year I was being charged a lower price than new subscribers. This year it has shot up to the same.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • ajrh
    • By ajrh 4th Aug 19, 10:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ajrh
    after a shocking call out fiasco yesterday I regret using this company sadly as recommended by this website.
    here is my formal complaint email to them :

Dear Sirs,
    I want this email recorded as an official complaint at the disgraceful quality of your service to me at an incident yesterday

I got a flat tyre yesterday and reported the incident at 11.32 ( 3rd August 2019) 3 1/2 hrs later and a number of phone calls with your contracted out call centre and the 3rd party Ravenscroft mechanic did we start our tow truck journey home.

The call centre you use provided minimal information, that which the did was false and amounted to lies when we eventually cross referenced with the mechanic.

The initial call established we had no spare tyre and had foam. That we wanted a tow back to our home town and to the repair shop that could replace the tyre

When the mechanic actually called us after 2 hrs wait he told us he’d been told he was only taking our wheel to a repair garage. Further calls to your call centre company eventually established that he’s van could return us to the postcode originally specified. Whilst we had been informed by calls at approx 13.04 the the driver was delayed in traffic, and would be there by 13.27 with no delays, he informed us when we called again at that point in his call at 13.40 that. He was only just finishing up his job in Winchester. You call centre lied! Blatantly!.

Your service, your contracted call centre are shockingly incompetent, the price of £48.31 I paid for a 1 year contract may have seemed attractive and the business model of insuring people rather than vehicles a good option, both as recommended by money saving expert website but in practice fails at every single stage.

I genuinely regret wasting my money on this and will be stating as much in the strongest possible terms on the money saving expert website forums.

We were told the normal recovery times are 1 - 1 1/2 hrs, we suffered double that. Explain please and provide relevant and meaningful compensation
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 23rd Aug 19, 10:45 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Vegastare
    Yep mine has jumped up to.....

Maybe they are catching up with other high flyers....perhaps too much praise for them - only used once for call out and it was the garage just down the road who responded.
    • Megawatts
    • By Megawatts 23rd Aug 19, 9:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Megawatts
    Price has gone up.
    Yes mines has gone up to £59.99 from £43
    Been with them for 5 years with one call out.
    They offered a great service once, but all has now changed.
    Thinking of changing to green flag insurance, only £47 personal insurance any vehicle. and up to 4 people insured if there at the same address. Defaqto rating 4 star
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 24th Aug 19, 7:26 AM
    • 6,475 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Anyone got emergency assist via Groupon £32 pa, top cover? Would seem to be much better value?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 24th Aug 19, 8:12 AM
    • 8,849 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    We haven't used them for [more] than 5 times in 10 years,
    Originally posted by pritchah
    So once every two years. At £40 per year they've had £80 per call out. After admin and call center costs its unlikely they've made any profit from you, more likely to have made a loss.

I've used them twice in 20 years. I wish they had a ncb.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Green_badger
    • By Green_badger 3rd Sep 19, 7:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Green_badger
    Hi everyone, Iíve been with AutoAid for years based on recommendation on this site. But yesterday had to call them out and had horrendous experience. I was left on hold and passed around for two hours while broken down at the roadside with two small kids in the back while they told me I had no policy. After being cut off, hung up on, left on hold, told I was mistaken, told I had to pay another £90 for call out, I eventually got through to someone who Ďfoundí and was able to confirm that I had a valid policy. I then had to wait two hours to be towed home. The period on the phone to them was so stressful I was in tears. You take out breakdown cover for piece of mind - now even though I have 10 months left on policy I will be taking out additional cover elsewhere as I never want to repeat that awful experience ever again. People considering AutoAid should be aware that the people manning the breakdown line are another company - and frequently said it was not there problem to help me, itís was AutoAidís but AA itself was uncontactable. I tried to make a complaint yesterday and was told ďin understand why youíre upset but itís not our faultĒ. Iíve written to complain and to cancel my policy. Donít have high hopes for customer service i might receive. Proceed with care.
    • Monkeyman87
    • By Monkeyman87 3rd Sep 19, 8:12 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Monkeyman87
    Bought a policy last year through Groupon which has just run out but decided not to renew at £60.

They don't half send a lot of emails and letters though bugging you to renew. They make it sound like you'll be charged a £15 cancellation fee as well which is a bit off, I'm sure it only applies if you cancel after renewal but they don't make that obvious.
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 5th Sep 19, 11:06 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Vegastare
    Bought a policy last year through Groupon which has just run out but decided not to renew at £60.

They don't half send a lot of emails and letters though bugging you to renew. They make it sound like you'll be charged a £15 cancellation fee as well which is a bit off, I'm sure it only applies if you cancel after renewal but they don't make that obvious.
    Originally posted by Monkeyman87
    Mine is up later this month one email so far.....if they do charge £15 cancellation fee...please update...I can't see this on my first email.

Am looking at Green Flag....unless anyone can give better option.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 5th Sep 19, 1:21 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 2,344 Thanks
    derrick
    I have an older car, over 20 years, not many will cover cars over 10 years.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• MisterPleasant
    • By MisterPleasant 14th Oct 19, 10:23 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MisterPleasant
    Yep, my AutoAid premium has gone up 38% from £43.31 to £58.99 and I've never called upon them once in many years. After reading one or two unfavourable reviews on the AutoAid roadside service I'm going to give Green Flag Recovery+ a go at £51.52.
    • Jakerrs
    • By Jakerrs 14th Oct 19, 11:35 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jakerrs
    Does anyone know of other companies that will cover two people, one with a vehicle that is 15 years old and the other with a vehicle that is 17 years old, for less than £30 each?

I know with AutoAid the service really depends on which local company they call out, but I'm only really interested in a tow home and the company they used last time were fantastic.
    • butterfly72
    • By butterfly72 2nd Nov 19, 12:28 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    butterfly72
    I've just had my renewal through for Auto Aid and as per everyone else it's increased, mine to £59.99.

I've had a look at Green Flag, who charge 60.48 for the Recovery Plus and with £10 Quidco cash back it looks inviting. However, add on the policy holder in any other vehicle and that's an extra £33.60. So now its less attractive.

I've used Auto Aid a few times and had great service. Scrolling back on here there appears to be a lot of very new posters (ie one or two posts) totally slagging off Auto Aid. Hmmm.....

My policy isn't due for renewal for another month so I'll look around a little longer I think unless anyone has any GF codes or knows how I can get the price down to be comparable to AA?
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
    • rickwookie
    • By rickwookie 6th Nov 19, 4:42 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rickwookie
    Disappointing that they’ve increased 38.5% in just one year! What’s the justification for that? I came here expecting to find a cheaper alternative, but was instead surprised to find them still “best value”. Looks like we’ll have to bight the bullet and renew. As to those suggesting Green Flag as an alternative, it doesn’t look much cheaper to me. I used them in my younger days when they were the only sensibly priced alternative to the big two, but I seem to remember something happened that made me stop using them (can’t remember what, I’m getting old!).
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 6th Nov 19, 6:44 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    I have an older car, over 20 years, not many will cover cars over 10 years.
    Originally posted by derrick

AA and RAC will with personal membership. With RAC you can pay with Tesco vouchers at a third of the price making it cheaper than AutoAid assuming you have enough vouchers.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 6th Nov 19, 10:28 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 2,344 Thanks
    derrick
    AA and RAC will with personal membership. With RAC you can pay with Tesco vouchers at a third of the price making it cheaper than AutoAid assuming you have enough vouchers.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Or assuming one has Tesco vouchers at all , I don't use Tesco.

Last edited by derrick; 07-11-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Typo
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Brewer20
    • By Brewer20 7th Nov 19, 12:04 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Brewer20
    As others have said if you shop around it comes down to who is the better value, with 2 cars Autoaid is the better buy for me.
    If you scroll down their sister company offer roadside cover for £34 if you just want basic cover, read the T&C's though, may not be for everyone. It wasn't for me as it only covers the one car.

Reluctantly I renewed with Autoaid this year @£59.99
    • frankie
    • By frankie 8th Nov 19, 3:40 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    frankie
    Start Rescue as alternative to Autoaid
    Any one come across 'start rescue' they are charging circa £37 for what appears to be a decent package. They differ from Autoaid in as much the car not the person is covered, although for an additional fee the person can also be covered.

Just wondered whether peeps have any insight into the company?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,858Posts Today

6,674Users online

Martin's Twitter