Unexpected Ebay debit via Paypal

My daughter had £12 taken from her bank account via paypal labelled 'Ebay seller fee and reimbursements' She has not sold anything on Ebay for about 2 years. How can she find out what this debit was for?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My daughter had £12 taken from her bank account via paypal labelled 'Ebay seller fee and reimbursements' She has not sold anything on Ebay for about 2 years. How can she find out what this debit was for?

Was this a direct debit - if so-

To start check her paypal account, trace the original payment. If nothing shows on her paypal account then advise the bank that the direct debit was taken in error and is not hers- and ask for it to be returned under the direct debit guarantee.

My only concern here is that the description 'Ebay seller fee and reimbursements' - which is unusual as paypal don't usually say on direct debits the reason for the charge as it is just a standard DD and should say the same as it states in the DD set up.

If it was linked to her card then again check paypal first. If nothing shows in there then notify the bank there is a fraudulent payment going out. Someone may have access to her card somehow- let the bank investigate and if necessary supply a new unlinked card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sign into her Ebay acct and go to accounts, any outstanding fees, recent fees, etc will be there. If there is recent activity on her account contact Ebay as acct may be compromised.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    November2 wrote: »
    Sign into her Ebay acct and go to accounts, any outstanding fees, recent fees, etc will be there. If there is recent activity on her account contact Ebay as acct may be compromised.

Good point, if this has come via ebay/paypal and she has no debt there then someone might have had access to her account and sold something.

I completely missed that obvious point- sorry OP- November2 is right.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure