Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• ive just been to majorca and the flight back to england was delayed by 7 hours due to technical problems with aircraft.the eu rules on delays of over 5 hours state i am entitled to a refund AND a free flight home.monarch over the phone have told me i either get a refund or alternative flight home,NOT both.
    which is correct?and if eu rules are as i understand,what success do people have.it seems pretty clear to me.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Try the website flyertalk.
  • Mr_P_5
    Mr_P_5 Posts: 810 Forumite
    Hi.

Wondered if anyone can help/give advice.

my wife and i have just returned from our hol in lanzarote with Jet 2. there plane broke down and we ended up being delayed 26 hours!!! (along with the fact of no communication this was horredous!) just wondered i noticed in the airport all the signs saying flights delayed over 5hours your entitled to a refund - nicely though jet2 say there a none refundable airline but in my eyes EU law would get over that - i havn't contacted them as yet - will do - but just wondered if anyone has had any dealing of anything like this/and advice?

thanks again
    £2008 for 2008 club No. 286
    Jan wins - £213, Feb wins - £55.80 March Wins - £27
    (left to go: £1712.20)
  • jetboy
    jetboy Posts: 524
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    non refundable airline = bilge. They are required to comply with the eu law regarding delays and compensation. The question is: does that law apply to the canaries or not? I reckon it probably does but you need to check. Good luck.
    Timmay!
  • sorry,don't know whether this is the correct place for this, advice please.

booked a Ryanair return spain to l'pool. changed plans and did not take the outward.

contacted ryanair re refund of the taxes, they said put it in writing, sent it to ireland. when reply came back by e-mail it said that because their admin fee was more than the flight cost, there would be no refund.

i replied asking how much the admin fee was - they ignored this e-mail.

anyone know? or any suggestions as to how to find out.

azahar chica
    :rolleyes: Azahar Chica
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Delays are different from cancelation. Martins article re compensation relates to cancelations and "bumping"
    Delays are a different matter altogether. At best depending on time and whether day or night, we are talking meal vouchers and overnight accom
  • huggychair
    huggychair Posts: 154 Forumite
    Mr_P wrote: »
    Hi.

Wondered if anyone can help/give advice.

my wife and i have just returned from our hol in lanzarote with Jet 2. there plane broke down and we ended up being delayed 26 hours!!! (along with the fact of nocommunication this was horredous!) just wondered i noticed in the airport all the signs saying flights delayed over 5hours your entitled to a refund - nicely though jet2 say there a none refundable airline but in my eyes EU law would get over that - i havn't contacted them as yet - will do - but just wondered if anyone has had any dealing of anything like this/and advice?

thanks again

You ARE entitled to a refund plus a free flight (which you took) read here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4267095.stm

The most intresting bit:
    'You should be offered a refund of your ticket, along with a free flight back to your initial point of departure, when relevant. Or, alternative transport to your final destination'

:cool: :A
    :cool: :A
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    Has anyone who has posted here actually got compensation under these laws?
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    See latest blog by MSE Lawrence
  • njs184
    njs184 Posts: 2 Newbie
    We were delayed for 12 hours a couple of weeks ago flying out of manchester to cyprus .We were put on a coach and taken to a hotel in LIVERPOOL .Do i have grounds for a complaint?
    If so does anybody have any ideas of what to put in a letter to the airline(MONARCH)
    many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure