Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 3rd Jul 07, 5:56 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    500 Free Tesco Points Worth 20 In Deals Vouchers
    • 3rd Jul 07, 5:56 PM
    500 Free Tesco Points Worth 20 In Deals Vouchers 3rd Jul 07 at 5:56 PM
    Update Note 12 July 07: This was in the weekly e-mail last week and according to the feedback (read it below) almost everyone has got their points. If you haven't done it yet, give it a go.

What's the deal?

Tesco is offering 500 clubcard deals (worth £20 in Tesco deals vouchers) if you call it up and ask for a car insurance quote. That's it, you don't actually have to get a policy, just a quote and the points should be credited to your November Clubcard statement.

The Details

This offer comes from Tesco's leaflet circulating in most Tesco stores. Have a look for it by the tills or ask at customer services.

Any potential problems?

Some people have been told their car insurance must be up for renewal in the next 30 days to get a quote - but many haven't - that's the luck of the draw. Also while the leaflet says this deal will close on July 17th if 1.3 million MoneySavers who get the weekly e-mail go for it - it may well close more quickly! Plus of course if everyone calls the phone lines may be swamped (yet this is on till mid-july so you could do it at the weekend).

Read people's experience in the thread below to see how its going.

How are 500 points worth £20?

You need to follow the golden MoneySaving rule.... never, ever, ever, ever redeem your Tesco points instore. Do that and 500 points are worth just a £5 discount off your shopping.

Instead convert them to Tesco Deals vouchers and they're worth four times that amount. These vouchers can be used on days out, breakdown cover, gifts, magazine subscriptions and much more.

For more full details and info on how to boost your points stash read the Loyalty Schemes article.

What to do

Call 0845 301 0771 (3p/min from BT) between 8am-9pm Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm Saturday and 10am-5pm Sunday. It's likely when the weekly email is sent out though, this will get really busy

(You can try this cheaper geographic number from SayNoTo0870: 0113 390 4000, but Tesco might not allow this).

Is it worth getting Tesco car insurance?

Maybe yes, maybe no. There's never one single cheapest provider if you are getting car insurance. So the simple answer is don't get the Tesco insurance without first following through the Cheapest Car Insurance article to find the cheapest quote that way.

Tesco's Terms and Conditions
    • Offer is available to new customers only.
    • Points will appear on or before your November clubcard statement.
    • The clubcard must be in your name.
    • Quotes must be completed over the phone.
    Martin

Thanks to the original poster

This discussion was originally started by Crabman but I have started this so that I can put an official, fully researched MoneySavingExpert.com explanation at the top. Thank you Crabman for the top spot.

Last edited by MSE Martin; 10-07-2007 at 6:29 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 16
    • sparkleworld
    • By sparkleworld 24th Oct 07, 4:33 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    sparkleworld
    Seeing the new tesco clubcard points for registering for repeat prescriptions has jogged my memory on this offer- mmm....
    November is fast approaching so I thought I would just give this thread a little nudge up the chart in case other mse-ers had forgotten too-
    Good luck with getting your points.
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 24th Oct 07, 4:47 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    Well, I phoned up last month about the points, and was promised they would be added on, and guess what, they haven't!!

However, they did say to wait until the next statement, and all I'm doing is checking my online balance a few times a week to see if it increases by any more than the value of the odd few petrol and shops visits.

But if there's nothing in November, then I will be phoning to complain again.
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 24th Oct 07, 6:30 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    ksh123
    How sickening!!
    Sounds like *maybe* some of the Customer Service people at Tesco Insurance were a bit naughty.

I read many posts where people were told they didn't need a quote and they would get their points. Maybe this was to get people off the phone who weren't potential insurance customers because of the volume.

Now Tesco have checke their database to see who actually got quotes and are only awarding points to these people.
    Originally posted by nickmack
    Well how rotten is that! I was one of those fobbed off with "you don't need a quote" and have not had my points. I'm going to complain strongly and think others should do so too because the point is we were quite prepared to have a quote and keep our side of the bargain.
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....
  • bensoncat30
    Does anyone know just where to email about this. I cant believe that they promised so many people 500 points and now they have changed their minds. What I dont understand is that when we originally rung, the operators said "your points have been added" - how can they have been added if they have now been taken off.

If anyone has the email to get in touch with them can they post it for us all to use please

Thank you
  • autismmum
    i just took out the medical cover and life assurance aand was promised 3000 points, not there yet, hmmm wonder how soon i should call up.
    totally debt free and mortgage free too 2010
    • PaleScene
    • By PaleScene 20th Nov 07, 7:16 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    PaleScene
    The way I understand this is that because they're a different department to Clubcard it's something like a requisition form or list gets raised for the points, which then wends its way off and can therefore take a while and so they say it'll take up to six weeks...

Over the course of numerous phonecalls I've been promised all sorts though - I particularly disliked the 'it gets added on at the quarterly statement, so you have to wait for that' which happened twice with resultant disappointment.

What I am rather cheesed off with though, is that regardless of what the usual track is for them to put points on, I'm sure in a pinch a supervisor of some sort - insurance or clubcard - will have the power to just swipe points onto an account for immediate effect.

I'm also still waiting for the 500 points for a quote (which I did actually have at the time since I was near renewal) but have also examined my head of late because I've also taken insurance on their more recent 1000 points offer (which was specifically for insurance taken up this time!) I sort of expect messing around by now, but will keep 'reminding' them till I get all the points owed.
    Do I Need One Stops All Unnecessary Reckless Spending
    2 CSC - 30

• Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 20th Nov 07, 4:57 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    Well, I was promised the points when I first called, and they weren't added. Phoned up about them a few months later, and promised they would be added, and they didn't appear on my recent statement, so 3rd phone call will take place soon!!
  • devilgirls1
    i didnt get anything on mine either, another phone call to tesco!
  • bensoncat30
    Does anyone know just where to email about this. I cant believe that they promised so many people 500 points and now they have changed their minds. What I dont understand is that when we originally rung, the operators said "your points have been added" - how can they have been added if they have now been taken off.

If anyone has the email to get in touch with them can they post it for us all to use please

Thank you
  • jmw93
    No points for me
    I didn't get a quote at the time as it was more than 30 days to my renewal, but I was promised the points on my November statement. As Tesco car insurance have no record of a quote (well, they wouldn't) they have refused to give me the points.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 21st Nov 07, 4:34 PM
    • 9,739 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    Phone 0800 591688, select option 2 for personal finance and ask to be put through to car insurance.

I explained that I've not received the 500 points - he then filled in an 'exception form' and said I can expect the 500 points shortly.

The guy I spoke to said he couldn't find my details on the system because the quote was more than 90 days ago so there was no way to check.

Worth a try I suppose... third time lucky?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• jmw93
    Got my points now!
    I didn't get a quote at the time as it was more than 30 days to my renewal, but I was promised the points on my November statement. As Tesco car insurance have no record of a quote (well, they wouldn't) they have refused to give me the points.
    Originally posted by jmw93
    I'd originally emailed Tesco's customer services and they replied telling me to ring Tesco's car insurance. After the car insurance people refused to give me the points, I emailed customer services again to tell them what had been said and asked for their comments. The points are now on my statement, so I'm very pleased.
    • Bisoy
    • By Bisoy 23rd Nov 07, 10:28 AM
    • 873 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Bisoy
    Same here I received my November statement and no points added.
    • humfer
    • By humfer 16th Dec 07, 9:02 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    humfer
    ....bumped

Anyone else still having problems getting their points added? I have phoned up 3 times now and transferred between various departments with no real confidence gained that the points will ever be added
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 19th Jan 08, 9:37 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    I gave them a call about 2 weeks ago, and asked about my missing points. The person dealing with the call, said that they would pass on the information and request the points be added. So, same excuse as last time, and 2 weeks later, no points.

I think the only way is to write or e-mail Tesco customer services, and point out that after 2 phone calls to chase it up, nothing has been done.
    • tali
    • By tali 29th Jan 08, 4:43 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    tali
    Phone 0800 591688, select option 2 for personal finance and ask to be put through to car insurance.
    Originally posted by Crabman
    They give the 0845 number:rolleyes:
    Someone else earlier gave a freephone number which turned out to be Green Flags:rolleyes:
    Last edited by tali; 29-01-2008 at 4:45 PM.
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 26th Mar 08, 3:26 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    Been a while since I've been on the board, so good news with my update.

I wrote to Tesco Clubcard at their freepost address, explaining the details of my phone calls, and the fact that they failed to add my points on each occasion. About 2 weeks later, I got a letter back from them, apologising for the inconvenience, and my points were now going to be added. It missed the recent statement by a few days, but they have indeed been added to my balance.
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 27th Jun 08, 1:23 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    This offer had changed in that you get your 500 clubpoints for BUYING insurance, not just getting a quote.

That is what it says on the websit anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,564Posts Today

7,523Users online

Martin's Twitter