What do you Consider a Good Age to Live to?

Comments

• jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    I'm late 30's, relatively fit but have had testicular cancer and chemo already so doubt I'll be around at 90. Fine by me, I think the UK will be sadly unrecognisable by then and I've had a hell of a lot of fun in life so far. Lovely house, lovely kids, lovely wife, no money worries and an amazing job that makes me feel like I'm making a difference in the world.

I'm on track to retire at 45, or at least just work if I want to and just spend time with my family, spend more time on my astronomy, chess, DIY, caravanning, biking, flying hobbies, always said I'd go out in a fireball at 60. Hire a Ferrari, skip the damage waiver, and then fly off the cliffs of Dover. If there's anything left of me id donate my remaining bollock as a final middle finger to the world.
  • My mother was an identical twin, her sister married a CEO and had a big social life, lots of social drinking and smoking players full strength, she went with throat cancer at 73 but my mother light drinker and smoked filter tips went with cancer at 82. My father was a heavy smoker but stopped when 56 he went with cancer at 72.
    I am 72 now but have never smoked except all the secondary I must have had when young, I had a scan this year but all was ok except for the astbestos scars from when I worked in the shipyard.
    I hope to reach 80 and try to keep fit, my uncle had a good job, retired at 60 on the Friday, helped working on the church on Sunday and died that night, never got to draw one day of his pension.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I'm in my early 50's and reasonably healthy so I hope to have a few good years yet. I'd like to retire before I'm 60 and enjoy a bit of life whilst I still have my health.

My uncles on my dad's side all lived in to their mid 90's and all still living at home independently. Sadly my dad had an illness most of his life which meant he passed at only 75.

My mum is going to be 85 next month and she is as fit as a fiddle both physically and mentally and my uncle will be 87 and still fit and living on his own and regularly goes traveling abroad.

A neighbour of mine is 83 and just given up smoking after nearly 60 years of heavy smoking. She's done well to get this far.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm 48, myriad of health issues, wheelchair user, get trapped in my home at times and struggle to do everyday things pretty much all the time. Quality of life is not what I would like or what it was but I can still enjoy things (going to gigs etc) from time to time.

Not ready to go yet..although there was a point last winter when that feeling was challenged.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm 61 and am shooting for 100! My FiL is 92 and has a pretty reasonable quality of life, and has at least a few years left in him. I live a healthier lifestyle than he ever has so I am hoping I can get past him.

Mind you, my dad died at 62 from leukaemia and my mum in her early 70s from smoking-related heart problems. So there is not a history of longevity on my side of the family, I am hoping to change that. I am not a smoker btw.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Late 70s will do me - about 10 years to go!
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've known a lot of people who've been very good physically and mentally at 80, but have declined greatly by 85. There have been a few exceptions of course (mum's neighbour who was still incredibly independent until she suddenly died at 106) but I've found it to be the general rule, hence would choose to live until late 70's/early 80's.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    To quote my Home Economics teacher Mrs Renwick " Quality over quantity ." She was talking about scones at the time but the principle works in life I suppose.

As long as I am having, what I consider to be a good/ great quality of later years then the older the better.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When my grandmother was 73 she asked her doctor what the secret to a long life was and he told her it was to walk a mile a day.

Shes 82 now and we've no idea where she is.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    When my grandmother was 73 she asked her doctor what the secret to a long life was and he told her it was to walk a mile a day.

Shes 82 now and we've no idea where she is.

I chuckled. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport