Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Comments

• Thanks for popping by brizzle I'm not sure how hopeful I am about fleabay but guessing its definitely not going anywhere unless I do list it. A couple of watchers and one bid, so better than nowt!

Swapped DH banking for £125 bonus ( I did ask him first!) I set off the switch process so should be complete in 2 weeks (delayed a week as he has a payment due on the day it was meant to move and I know they are supposed to sort it but it would be difficult if it didn't happen!)

Paid DD nursery fees, worked out I could potentially stop salary deductions in June and still have enough to pay until she goes to school. Only fly in the ointment is we won't know if we need them going forward but if I come out when I go back in I get lower tax relief - something to ponder. Extra cash in pay cheque would be nice though!

Checked banking and have £69 in dividends going in tomorrow, which was unexpected - will get siphoned off straight away and split 2 ways - savings and pay down :D

We made a decision today to buy a family annual pass for some entertainment. Its something we've talked about for over a year and think the children are old enough to get our moneys worth. Will be focused on getting as much value as possible out of it.

Have also spoken to DH about ditching some paid for TV - we have negotiated 2 years decent deal but think it could be much better if we parted ways for a while. Have another couple of options up my sleeve, will keep an eye out for offers, have a couple of months until it's up.
  • Realised after I initiated the switch for DH bank that he only had one DD and one SO set up and not two DD. So quickly swapped a DD to his account, hope it works, otherwise it will be a tad annoying.

Also realised I get paid twice in march so I can finish paying for vouchers in may :D hopefully by then we will know what DH might be doing job wise, so if I need to continue for childcare costs I can.

2 items will sell today on fleabay. Few more with watchers, will try and list a few more and then I can just relist, relist, realist when they don't sell ;)

Need to think long and hard about a new vehicle for DH. His car is on its last legs, lasted us longer than we ever expected TBH. We've seen one we like which would be perfect but it just seems so much money :eek: and I'm worried it will impact on house improvements (at least in the short term) but delaying them at least by a year or two. Hmm, pondering required.

Although car process DH has been through my big finance spreadsheet which is a massive positive. Think it's really made him think about options and he's already talking about cutting food budget :T and we've talked about cancelling another subscription too.

DH worked an extra shift last night for some nice overtime.

Cashed out £9.50 of surveys this week and nearly at £10 voucher payout in another. £9.50 and dividend straight to savings/paydown.

We're away next weekend (accommodation paid) and will take food with us. Bar one meal which I've already paid £30 deposit for, which will come if the bill. It'll be a thank you meal to our folks who do so much for us and well worth it. No vouchers for any of restaurants on site but picked a not too expensive one. Mum making 3 items (including 2 cakes :o) which will hopefully keep us out of coffee shops ;) I'm taking rest of food and have planned a menu that seems quite extravagant in our eyes just because it includes stuff like garlic bread with lasagne instead of just lasagne :rotfl:

Need to investigate what happens to my high interest saver when it ends in a few months. Want to start another one, but ideally don't want to open one with a new bank. May go over to banks page and ask the question.

Enjoy your Sunday. Purps.
  • Sounds like a productive time, and well done getting DH looking at the finances. :D I've already mentioned on the small things thread about my opinion on cars. I think for me it's worth finding the money for the car because I do so many miles and am so reliant on it. I spend £150 a month which includes the car, servicing and breakdown, plus the car is new enough to still be under warranty. So other than fuel and things like tyres I don't need to think about big spends and maintenance. I realise it's not that mse but for me, it's a priority.
    I am incredibly jealous of your getting paid twice in March... :p
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    With you on that CCL, when I am working and using the car, I do a huge number of miles (it's our only vehicle), need the security of knowing it's reliable. So we have a fully serviced car etc, and plan to roll into the same type of deal when this one expires. Works for us.

Sorry you're having to work so hard, hope that eases up soon. I found last week easier from having a meal plan that revolved around meals that were already in the freezer from a batch cooking marathon.

Have a great weekend

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Thanks Brizzled - I always worry about being shot down in flames when I talk about things that aren't typically mse. My car is the only one in the household as well - and when my 3 years are up then I'll be getting a new deal. A worthwhile spend as far as I'm concerned.
  • Thanks for dropping by :) and for your words on the car, I think that my view too. If either of us knew enough about cars or could do any work ourselves it would be different. But we just don't. Luckily for us it's not our only car, however mines a works vehicle so other than tax no cost there and I chose very economically :D

The downside I do need my car for work (public transport not suitable/effective) so when I'm at work DH wouldn't gave access so we really need two. We're thinking very practically though and one that will be fit for purpose not just because we like it ;)

Just need to build it in our budget :D
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 14 February 2017 at 6:46PM
    Still undecided on car front but am keen to not rush and regret our haste down the line. DH more on board with :money: not that he hasn't been before, just seems to be being more vocal about it :D

Sold 5 items on fleabay. Clutter out and cash in :rotfl:

Eating batch cooked food this week which is a)good for budget and b) nice not to be cooking every night.

Found out saver just transfers to another account (money that is) and assume I can carry on saving at current level. All good there :T

Dug out some products that I can use up instead of buying new.

Daffs springing up in the garden (not quite open yet) and if my line was in a different part of garden could have definitely got the washing out today for an hour or two. I love spring :D
  • Back from a few days away which was just amazing. Making precious memories with our girls. Had a budget and stuck to it :D took most of the food and ate out once. Did have carvery for tea but used my discount and decided beforehand just to have main course and no pud :T

Moved some of our savings to a current account for DH. Need to get him to check account tomorrow as switch should happen on Wednesday. Switch bonus will be handy. Cash back form my account for last month in savings. Disappointed contactless keeps failing, only managed it once this month so far :mad:

Changed spreadsheet around so I can still track where all my virtual pits are and their funds ;)
    #spreadsheetgeek :o

Fridge is bare but freezer is bursting so need to meal plan from there. Thinking chicken balti tomorrow as I have left over homemade paste in fridge from last week

Made chorizo and lentil soup for DH night shift tonight, will take some to work tomorrow. Very filling. Back on eating well from tomorrow :D hopefully lots of exercise will mean damage is not too bad this week.

Used my bike this weekend for the first time in ages, forgot how much I loved it. Must use more often. No outlay after all :o very :money:

Washing set on cheap overnight, last months leccy bill was lower than for few previous So conscious effort definitely helps. Can't wait to hang washing outside, we don't use TD much, maybe once a week but obviously in summer not at all :D

Am going to investigate switching utilities, on good deal not sure I can shave much off but keen to move to a supplier that's rolling out smart meter sooner rather than later as our electricity bill is 90% of our cost. Gas is negligible. If we could bring electric down 10% that would be amazing.

3 things sold an fleabay whilst away. Will package to post and move money to savings. Can't move it until I've packaged ;) need some incentive after all :rotfl:
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Good to get the update on your doings..soup sounds lush.. might borrow that idea for my lunches next week

I love my bike too..but when the days are lighter..bit of a wimp re using it to commute at the moment tbh

Money front sounds nicely under control :)

Any news on OH and his job?
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • So pleased that you've had a good time away PF.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback